homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » Putting the geek back in Geek Culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Putting the geek back in Geek Culture
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 07:51      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends, geeks, forum denizens, lend me your ears... or eyeballs, I guess, would be more appropriate.

Anyway, one recurring point in the recent uproar (if you aren't aware of it, it was just typical internet drama and 'nuff said) was that a lot of the geek has gone from Geek Culture. That's pretty much true, as far as the forums are concerned, and that's sad. There are about a bazillion places to argue about politics, religion, etc. on the net and hardly any good geek sanctuaries left.

So what can you do to help?

If you could take the time to post as little as one geeky topic a week, and try to respond to just one geeky topic every time you visit, we'd be back to full-on geek conversation in no time.

I think there's the assumption that we all read the same sites. Maybe we do, but even so, instead of leaving that comment on Slashdot or Engadget or Gizmodo or Lifehacker, bring it back here and link to the article. We're better conversationalists anyway.

If you really want the old happy Geek Culture back, you're going to have to make it happen. Wish in one hand...

Maybe when Snaggy gets back from vacation, he'll put together some kind of contest. I have a slightly read review copy of Binding Energy I'll contribute for a prize.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 08:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a fine idea...and I'll be a curmudgeon at pointing out the dismay of a friend of mine at how geeky topics have been received in the past. I'm not one to be mean about it, though...but it basically gets tiring to have things that matter to you ignored as 'too geeky.'

/me goes back to thwarting bad guys, and will give some thought to geeky topics anyway. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 09:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
but it basically gets tiring to have things that matter to you ignored as 'too geeky.'

I think the big problem is a lot like Ashitaka said elsewhere, that politics and religion are topics that any ignorant yutz not only can, but feels entitled to, discourse on at length (to paraphrase). They're the cancer that makes the internet cry.

Off topic, I'm doing more perl lately, since in this age of rampant Blogger and WordPress, I decided to resurrect a self-hosted blog and opted for Blosxom. It's not as point and click (editing configuration files and installing perl modules, oh my!) but I find it strangely gratifying. Also, embarrasingly easy to get top tenned on Google when talking about it. (Search for blosxom theme, I'm there.)

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 10:43      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo! Phase 3 [Big Grin]

Anyway, I like this topic. I'll post some geeky topics. Also if I could add; everyone seems to enjoy the dating topics and really no arguments break out from them and good advice can be gained. I know this is not a relationship type website but I think geek relationship are a special topic away from the rest of the world. We have more fun [Big Grin]

If that made any sense I apologize.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 10:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My geeky foray's have been relatively limited lately.

The beauty of performing regression testing and taking support calls.

Though I did post the topic about those Damned ADM templates. They are very cool, but very frustrating at the same time.

My other geek pursuit ATM has been modding my old desktop into an XBMC system. I was using Boxee, but infrequent updates, very frequent crashes, and the poor source builds put me off.

Right now my old bog has some bitching about this Mac Mini I have to use as part of our testing regimen and getting a Soundgraph remote to work in Ubuntu.

Here are my takes.

Buy a Mac if they really have something to offer you, otherwise they are obnoxious little boxes. And Windows offers better software options, and *nix offers better power without having to bypass Cupertino to get stuff to work.

And as far as Soundgraph goes. Don't fucking do it. And those stupid Antec Veris remotes? Soundgraph. It works in Windows(barely), and is a bear to get to run correctly in Linux. Spend the cash for a good remote and you will not be disappointed.

Now if you are wanting to learn about planishing body panels, removing dents, rebuilding carbs, that has been more my speed when I am offline. Sometimes you just need to be able to smash crap with a hammer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 11:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea fs, but as dman pointed out, hard to execute. One man's geeky is another's dull, but hopefully if we're all throwing stuff out there once in a while a geeky topic that interests more than just the poster will arise - it used to happen!

However, at the moment pretty much everything geeky in my life is work related, and so definitely not of interest to anyone but me...

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. I have been feeding my geeky tendencies with steampunk stuff for almost a year. Victorian clothing and similar costuming, plus a few mechanical and electrical contraptions. For example, the source for a costume has some sort of gauge in the belt buckle. So I decided to have it a photosensor by cannibalizing a cheap battery tester, and hook it up to a small solar cell. I still have some work to do on it, but it's the coolest thing I've been working on for quite some time. But it's very simple, really, and I'm sure most of you are bored already.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Heh. I have been feeding my geeky tendencies with steampunk stuff for almost a year.

Please start topics about cool steampunk stuff you find. I love Datamancer and Brass Goggles.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 15:49      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay FS! Magnificent valour!

Things currently troubling my geek vibe that people may be able to help with, but have not yet been voiced on the internet:

Q dependence in inelastic neutron scattering - What is that about?

I keep getting some horrible error message I don't understand (I can't remember exactly what it is, but it sounds like a W* error.) I'm going to be away next week, but will update next time I see it. Edit II: I now remember that it reports as a "Wibushell" error, and recurs with every explorer window on XP.

Also, camino (old version, since new version won't spawn new windows on right click behind current window - fsckin idiot bastards - when is chrome coming to the mac?) is now giving the red squiggly mis-spelling line under every word. What is that about?

Quartz based / linked taps that can tolerate 3-1100 K (or any other materials that are neutron transparent/easily subtracted and can maintain a gas/vacuum-tight seal across this temperature range)

EDIT: And my new camera rocks! If you are in the market for a high-end digital compact camera, the Lumix LX-3 is truly fabulous. The Nikon d40 is cheaper, but not as good IMHO.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 18:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been (slowly) learning to use optical tweezers. How's that for geeky? [Razz] And how's that for something no one else cares about? [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 22:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

Off topic, I'm doing more perl lately, since in this age of rampant Blogger and WordPress, I decided to resurrect a self-hosted blog and opted for Blosxom. It's not as point and click (editing configuration files and installing perl modules, oh my!) but I find it strangely gratifying. Also, embarrasingly easy to get top tenned on Google when talking about it. (Search for blosxom theme, I'm there.)

Ahhh...Perl! It makes my heart go pitter-patter! [hearts]

I've recently had cause to write some more Perl lately, and it's been grand. I wrote a < 100 line app [w/25 lines of comments] that completely rocks, and strikes at the heart of ne'er-do-wells. Just wait until I refactor it to be more OO - it'll probably get 'er done in ~30 lines. [Razz] For now, I decided it was better to get it out the door and sacrifice beauty for practicality. (It is completely readable, though!)

/Speaking/ of Perl...if anyone finds his or herself needing Perl on Windows and /doesn't/ want to use ActivePerl, I finally gave Strawberry Perl [.com] a try, and it's even better than its tasty page might suggest. It Just Works (TM) and doesn't even have to be installed! One 'ppm install' command later, and the analysis code I wrote on a Debian system worked on win32. (apt-get > ppm > perl -mCPAN)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 01:07      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Also, camino (old version, since new version won't spawn new windows on right click behind current window - fsckin idiot bastards - when is chrome coming to the mac?) is now giving the red squiggly mis-spelling line under every word. What is that about?

I don't use Camino, but I've had similar problems in programs when the path for the dictionary is incorrect.

There's a discussion with directions on disabling it if you can't find the reason for the inappropriate highlighting.

@Xanthine:I'd never heard of optical tweezers, so I googled. That looks like fun.

@dragonman97: That's a great link. If I ever actually log in to my Windows partition, I'll give it a try. Oh, and now I have a question to post in "Ask a Geek!" Yay!

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 01:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've been (slowly) learning to use optical tweezers. How's that for geeky? [Razz] And how's that for something no one else cares about? [Wink]
I had some friends doing optical tweezer stuff a while ago. Something to do with measuring binding strength between molecules in a flow system. It was pretty cool. Do you have a particular system you are using?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too new to competently give specs on the instrument itself (aside from telling you it's all homebrewed), but I'll be doing force spectroscopy on nucleic acids. I'll be using an IR laser to trap a bead and the sample itself will be stuck and extended between that bead and a glass coverslip. There's some additional bells and whistles but that's the jist of it. I won't be flowing fluid anywhere after the samples are prepped and ready to go on the machine.

If you want more, you're going to have to PM me because there's a chance someone lurking could track me down based on the details of this project (it's pretty distinct, not many people are doing it, and, AFAIK, no one's attempting what I have planned once I learn to use the trap).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture