homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » It's Been a Good Week...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's Been a Good Week...
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 10:51      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted much in a while, but I'm hoping that excitement is contagious....

I finally have a graduation date pinned down! I graduate with my B.S. in Biology next April! Grad school is next, and hopefully I can have some good news in that arena soon. I'm looking at marine biology, so if anyone has suggestions or recommendations on where to look, I'd appreciate the help.

I also have a working research schedule so I can get my research with the tarantulas done before I graduate. The preliminary findings were a bit odd, so I'm hoping that with a few tweaks in the methods I can get things straightened out. If anyone wants to see the results of the preliminary findings, PM me and I'll send the write up to you and explain things. It's a bit complicated.

I'm also in the running for a really fantastic lab position this summer. It's closer to the marine research I'd be doing in grad school, but still gives me time to finish up my work in the spider lab.

Well, that's the exciting news on this front!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 16:17      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, SpazGirl! Good luck on the lab position and everything else.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 18:16      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I have a tarantula when you are done with them?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2009 17:19      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ugh! MacD sorry, but the tarantulas are lab property, otherwise I'd have one too. However, there is a herpetological show next month, and they usually have a good selection, so if you're looking I can see what they have.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 06:58      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, You can get them at a pet store relatively cheap. I was just joking about it. I would like to get one.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 09:29      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are looking for one you'd like to handle on occasion (they really don't like being picked up) I'd suggest a Grammastola rosea (Chilean rose hair, if the local shop doesn't list them by scientific name). They're relatively calm, and they aren't really runners, they also don't get agitated very easily, unlike goliath bird-eaters or some of the ornamentals.
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 10:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Spazgirl! Sounds like everything is working out great for you. If your paper gets posted on the internet somewhere, post a link. I'll read it.

Are Grammastola rosea the kind of pink ones? They're really cute.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2009 09:11      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaz, congratulations!

Do you work with Spiderwoman Shillington?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 29, 2009 09:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome spazaroo!

What kind of things do you want to study as a marine biologist?

(and watch out for those stingrays... yowch! ) [Razz]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2009 14:48      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one of the GRs nomming on a cricket:
 -

Red, I do work with her, yes. Unfortunately for me, I didn't end up getting that paid research gig, so I'm currently hunting around for a paying job, which is looking like it's going to be a challenge.

fs, I have copies of my presentation poster that I can e-mail out if you want one. I'm also looking at being done with the final edit no later than February. Chances are that it's not going to be in a major journal, because there are several of us in the lab that are doing similar research that may end up lumped into one larger paper.

As for the marine bio stuff, I really want to do behavioral research with octopus or squid. Octopus are insanely intelligent and I've been wondering the past few years if you can teach them how to communicate using images or something similar. I also wouldn't mind if I ended up on the southern coast of Australia hunting down new species, I've narrowed it down to a few things though and am probably going to wait until I get a little field experience to make up my mind completely.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture