homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » I have a real Doogie Howser in my class!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a real Doogie Howser in my class!!!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 16:18      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, this is really cool! I have a 14 year old genius in my History class. He seemed to be too "smart" for high school and just passed it all up and went right on to college! Although I think it is very cool for him, I have to be a little sad for him too, I mean, he is going to miss so much. Prom, graduation, all the fun high school stuff that builds your character. I dunno, would you guys have skipped high school if you could have???

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 16:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I dunno, would you guys have skipped high school if you could have???
There is not enough HELL YES in the world.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 23, 2009 17:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha Peebs! I was trying to think how to put it. You nailed it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 17:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically I skipped the last two years of my high school. But not because of how smart I was, actually the very opposite.
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 19:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, And junior high as well.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 21:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would I have liked to have skipped Jr. High & High School?

Along the lines of life as portrayed by Joss Whedon, I'd second Peebs' "HELL YES"

Would I really want to be a 14-yr-old in college?
Probably not.

I don't share geekygoddess' enthusiasm for high school, and wouldn't miss it very much, though I did have some good times regardless (and I hung out with some very good friends from there on NYE). I even went to my prom with a cute, smart girl! [Big Grin]

Still, I can't help but think that what geekygoddess holds towards high school, I might hold towards college...and I think it'd be a loss to go through college that young. There are just some things you can't appreciate until you're older...but on the other hand, you might _really_ absorb the academia (and be much more focused on it!), so I guess it's a toss up. And hey...you'd be /closer/ to just being a young grad student at the end of it, so maybe you could have some fun yet. (Well, fun while going through hell...but still some fun. ;P)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 23:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no fun going through grad school. Though many people find that being old enough to drink helps take the edge off.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 23:11      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I'll hold off on trying a Master's program then.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 00:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it only if you really want it. And I mean really want it. Like you couldn't conceive of life without it.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 02:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^What she said^^

But with slightly less force. Don't do it as a stepping stone to something else, only do it if you think you will enjoy it. There is fun to be had. One of my happiest times was when an experiment worked. (Of course, this was after a year of two of disappointment every day because it didn't. If you hit you head on a wall continuously for an hour, the minute that you stop will be lots of fun.)

I had the opportunity to skip the first year of University, but chose to take it anyway as a refresher and to enjoy the ambience.

I also read something recently about how child geniuses often peaked too early, and few achieve greatness in later life. It does seem like a lot of pressure.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 03:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
So, this is really cool! I have a 14 year old genius in my History class.

Not to belittle anyone's genius, but my experience with introductory college social science classes never indicated a level of material beyond what any academically focused fourteen year old should be capable of. (I'm assuming that he's a freshman or sophomore, anyway.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 06:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the kid is truly that smart I feel sorry for him. I mean High School is a tough deal for most kids, but I couldn't imagine trying to fit in with people 4 to 10 years older than myself. Especially at that age.

I do have some minor regrets that I missed so much of what is considered standard high school stuff. But now that I am 17 years past the time that I left school, it really doesn't matter. But there are certain social and emotional stepping stones that I totally missed and in some cases had to go back and check them out at a later point in my life.

And a moderately smart high schooler could definitely do most of the pre-requisite stuff of college, I am just not sure how great it is.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 24, 2009 12:55      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a person who started University at 15 and best friend of one who started at 14, I must acknowledge that things' may be hard at the beginning: I have never been given any "special treatment", and got along pretty well with classmates, until it came to social gathering: being underage, and looking like it, has made me almost impossible to access clubs an places like that, so it's not strange that I've been isolated several times.

My friend at 14, he did have "special treatment", to much of his regret. He had relatives waiting at his door at every class, so it was worse than being a kid at a kindergarten. Fortunately, he managed to look more mature than his age, and he had no problem getting into clubs and places of that kind by the age of 15.

I had a formal education and just skipped two years: one in Elementary and one in High School. He was home-schooled.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 13:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
So, this is really cool! I have a 14 year old genius in my History class.

Not to belittle anyone's genius, but my experience with introductory college social science classes never indicated a level of material beyond what any academically focused fourteen year old should be capable of. (I'm assuming that he's a freshman or sophomore, anyway.)
fs: No doubt about that, but I'm guessing he's just taking it as a required class...

Hopefully he's handling advanced science classes well, in addition to the 'easy' classes. [Smile] (Though frankly, I suck at 'humanities' courses, as I just don't dig rote work.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 09:52      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High School is a mixed bag, for most, I would suspect. For me, now that I am older, and hopefully wiser, and most definitely different in many respects, if I could go back to HS now I would make much more of my time than I did the first time around. But, I'm closing in on 2 decades past that time and view my HS experiences as something 99.9999% of the population must go through, a necessary evil.

Now, Junior High was pure Hell. In fact, the Junior High I attended was notorious throughout the general metropolitan area as being excessively cliquish, snobbish, and generally full of spoilt little brats. That I would most definitely skip.

It's funny this topic (education, intelligence and young genius) came up at all as I'm realizing all too strongly that my math skills have eroded down to just the basics: +, -, *, /. The thing that really brought it home for me was today's FoxTrot. This from a guy who made it to Calculus, although I did poorly, both times (fine, C's both times, but that's the same as failing for me).

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 09:57      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
I dunno, would you guys have skipped high school if you could have???
There is not enough HELL YES in the world.
And once you find it all, you'll need to double it too [Smile] . I'd have skipped high school in a heartbeat.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 11:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not skip high school if I were doing it all over again. It was the only reprieve I had from a bad family.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 11:35      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't either! High school was a blast! Plus, I know that I would not have been mentally ready for college at that age, I can barely handle it now!

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 12:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
The thing that really brought it home for me was today's FoxTrot.

Thanks for making me break out pen & paper. [Wink]

Actually, 'twas good to see that the little grey cells still work. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 09:18      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High school had it's bad points, but was generally tolerable. I think it was an experience I needed to go through, for the most part.

quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Now, Junior High was pure Hell.

I concur, and would have much preferred skipping those two years.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 15:47      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxepto – Only 2 years?!?!?! [Eek!] Mine was 3, 6th to 8th. You got lucky.

Dman – So, wanna help an old geezer do that problem? I can't even remember how to begin. The only thing I know is that they are related, you need to reduce the equations so you can solve for one variable, then you can get the other.

I think I'll slink off now and play a game of iConquer. Something easy, mindless.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 21:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety:

a) 2x+y=60
b) x+2y=75

a)
x + y/2 = 30
x = 30 - y/2

b)
x=75-2y

Solve for y:
30 - y/2 = 75 - 2y
-y/2 = 45 - 2y
-y/2 + 2y = 45
-y/2 + 4y/2 = 45
3y/2 = 45
3y = 90
y = 30

Plug in y to get x:
2x + y = 60
2x + 30 = 60
2x = 30
x = 15

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 22:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. Speaking of Doogie Howser:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/53001/saturday-night-live-digital-short-doogie-howser-theme

Warning: You might lose a brain cell or two...

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 04:01      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, thanks! I will now be humming that theme song all day!!! Ughhh, Anyway, why are all the cute ones gay???

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 09:23      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we can slash them from afar. [evil]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture