homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » Got a job!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got a job!
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 10:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past spring I got offered, more or less out of the blue, a post-doctoral position contingent on winning a fellowship.

Today I won the fellowship. 2 years, salary guaranteed. Technically I'll be a federal employee working for NIST, but the lab's on my university's campus. So, yeah, I have a job. And benefits too.

Now I just need to graduate.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 15, 2008 10:52      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!!!!!
Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 10:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool stuff...now get on that graduation stuff!

And that's very interesting, regarding the employer -- so sayeth someone who has 303-499-7111 in his mobile's address book. [Razz]
(Go ahead, call it! =P)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 11:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great! Congratulations!

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 11:02      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurrah for teh lab rat!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 15, 2008 12:29      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as our resident lab rat continues to grace us with her presence, I'm happy. [Wink]

Seriously: congratulations! And best of luck at your new position! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 14:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic Xan! Well done indeed, you brilliant girl!

This calls for a celebratory cake!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 14:24      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone say cake? [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 15:28      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

How excited you must be! Congrats!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 15:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cake?

/me drools

Actually, I have to bake a bunch of cookies tonight for tomorrow's cookie hour. My week to host. Fortunately, there are ~16 people involved in cookie hour so hosting turns don't come up often. This could very possibly be the last one I ever give!

Thanks for the good wishes guys...I need them. [Razz]

ETA: Dr. Who, is that red velvet?
/me drools some more

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 19:13      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super Duper, Doctor Scientist!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 19:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Pretty soon, you'll be able to stop talking about what you want to do when you grow up. [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 20:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations. [thumbsup]

Please don't destroy the world before the LHC has a chance [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 22:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Excellent! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Pretty soon, you'll be able to stop talking about what you want to do when you grow up. [Razz]

Grow up?
Huh?

Steen, don't worry. The worst that can happen is I'll burn myself with an IR laser. And, since I know how to be safe around beams of light I can't see, that's not very likely to happen.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 23:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's no fun. I'm sure we could round up some sharks for you to mount the lasers on...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 23:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharks are endangered. Ill-tempered sea bass is where its at.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 02:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of work. It's more stress than a PhD, but the money is better. (At least in my case)

\skulks off back to neutron bothering.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 16, 2008 10:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fanfrigging-TASTIC! Congrats!
Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 11:07      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Cake?

/me drools
ETA: Dr. Who, is that red velvet?
/me drools some more

I dunno. It looks like chocolate to me. Can't wait till we can call you Dr. Labrat. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 12:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the ring of Dr. X
Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 14:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause]

Well Done Doctor (if I may be so presumptious?) Xanth. Seems like the hard work is paying off. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 15:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a Dr. yet guys. I'll let you know when that happens.

Dr. X does have nice ring to it, Shroom. Hmmm....

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.