homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » We found great pizza!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We found great pizza!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 07, 2008 08:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My good news is that Nitrozac and I finally found a place in the Comox Valley that makes great pizza! It's Orbitz Gourmet Pizza in Courtenay, Corner of 5th and Fitzgerald.

Great crust and tons of amazing toppings... including artichokes, spinach, zucchini, roasted garlic, caramelized onions, roasted potatoes, roasted eggplant, etc, etc, plus all the usual. And they have a ton of slices always available.

Google cache of their menu... their website seems to be cooked.

MMMMMMM [Applause]

(not so great for the waistline though [Razz] )

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 11:03      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Chicago pizza! [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby]

Pizza in the UK is crap, and it's not surprising given that most of the pizza places have names like "Curry House and Pizza". I mean, really???

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 07:13      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww snupy, that sucks.

The situation here in Austria is a little bit similar. Our places usually are called "Doner Kebap&Pizza" or something of the like. And instead of being run by Italians, it's run by Turkish people who kind-of pretend to be Italians by naming the restaurant "Pizzeria Rialto" or the like..

I personally rather dislike Chicago-style (deep dish) pizza. I really like a very thin and crispy crust, so that the good toppings prevail in flavor.

Snupy:
I remember vaguely that you moved there more or less recently ago. It takes some time to find the "real" good Pizza places that have authentic Pizza. Not really knowing where you live, I guess it can take some time to find the really good places through experience or word-of-mouth.
But I guess Chicago-style pizza won't be easily found in England.

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 07:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always make your own.

If you're lazy (as I most certainly am), see if you can find a cheap, used bread maker with a setting that will make dough without baking it. The pizza dough that they make is actually pretty decent.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 07:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
I miss Chicago pizza! [cry baby] [cry baby] [cry baby]

Pizza in the UK is crap, and it's not surprising given that most of the pizza places have names like "Curry House and Pizza". I mean, really???

The solution is obvious: pour the curry on the pizza! What could be better? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 08:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if you want a coronary, have a donner pizza. I've only had one once after a few ales, but I remember it as rather good, although I could feel my arteries hardening as I ate.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 12:55      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:

I personally rather dislike Chicago-style (deep dish) pizza.

Blasphemer! [Wink]

I do like deep dish, but actually we had gorgeous(still can't get used to using that word when describing food!) thin-crust pizza also, which is what I really miss. Now, stuffed pizza, on the other hand...yummmmy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 13:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by GrumpySteen:
The solution is obvious: pour the curry on the pizza! What could be better?

Clearly, the traditional Scottish deep-fried pizza is the outright winner here. [Eek!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 19:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupy

as much as it may seem that the UK is full of crud sub standard pizzas, curries, kebabs etc. all seemingly done by the "wrong" nationalities if you seek so you shall find...

Honestly there is good real pizza - I particularly remember finding a real Italian place in deepest Kendal (Lake District) probably 20 years back and having one of the best seafood pizzas of my life in that strangely incongruous and somewhat "disconnected" way only such a great find can bring on... Likewise with Curry and Chinese etc. (I am quite blessed that there is a "proper" Chinese place within walking distance of here that has the best "plain" chow mein I have ever eaten - I swear the owner thinks I am some sort of loon to go so "gooey" over plain fried noodles... within a short drive I also have a great Indian Restaurant that claims to be one of the longest established in the UK - and to be fair I can't remember a time it wasn't there... and my parents certainly have frequented it on and off since the 60s (and even if the claim isn't 100% true they have a stack of awards for their cooking, so why should I care?

Long and short of it is that the gems are often hidden under a sea of mediocrity or worse - and many a brit's idea of a "good" foreign meal is some nasty anglocised crud, so local "recommendation" is often worthless - but the good stuff is out there, honest - you just may have to get a bit "foodie" to find it...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 05:54      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Des Moines, IA: Northern Lights Pizza.

In Pleasantville, IA: Checkerboard Pizza Shack.

In Bronx, NY: Gloria Pizzeria. (family owned for something like 50 years -- incredible!)

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 09:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

(I am quite blessed that there is a "proper" Chinese place within walking distance of here that has the best "plain" chow mein I have ever eaten - I swear the owner thinks I am some sort of loon to go so "gooey" over plain fried noodles...

So, when are we going? [Wink]

Have you ever tried chow mein noodles with "bbq" pork and green onions on top? That was my fave in Chinatown in Chicago. I've found it at only one other place here, but it suddenly closed down until further notice... [Confused]

A bit scary, but just as well as I'm trying not to eat pork any more!

I've actually found amazingly fantastic Thai food in York, Leeds and Edinburgh, so I know there's hope! But after almost 3 years, I've just about given up on pizza. [Frown]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture