homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » Sick to death of all the bad news...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sick to death of all the bad news...
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 19:58      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch the news, and read on the net all this negative, depressing stuff. I can hardly stand it anymore. It is really getting me down. [shake head] Does anyone have any good news they wanna share? I guess I could start with mine. It looks like I will be graduating with honors in the spring, woohoo!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 22:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations hon! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 22:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You read my mind! I was just going to post something like this.

Congratulations on graduating with honors! That is quite an accomplishment. [thumbsup]

Er, lets see, good news...

Kaitlin turns 3 on Thursday and she pees in the potty at daycare (yes, this is big news).

Hmmmm. I finally got my apartment clean. Hooray!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 07, 2008 00:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, so I'll try a new Forum dedicated to Good News.

Is that good news? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 06:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's a good idea.

So my good news? Do you remember not so long ago I asked for GCers from around Orlando because I am going for a conference? Not only I'm still going, but they asked for subject suggestions for informal discussions. Well, they liked mine so much that they bumped it one level, so I am on the official program! It's still going to be in a discussion form, but I'll be the facilitator, and I am a "faculty member" now! [Cool]

I'm getting nervous... [crazy]

Oh, and congrats to those graduating! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 07, 2008 08:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats geekgoddess, Kaitlin, Peebs, and Stereo!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 09:09      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to everyone!

Let' see, good news, um, nothing yet on my end.

But … looks like the Feds will be buying commercial paper, maybe the credit market will thaw now. Maybe.

As this is the newly anointed, official "Good News" forum I will not share my griping about the media and self-fulfilling prophecies.

Again, Congrats Everyone With Good News!

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 10:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is old news still good news? A couple weekends ago I expected my parents and younger brother to visit for my and my daughter's birthday party. But instead of my brother, my sister got out of the car. That's filed in the good news category because she lives across the country, in California, while my parents and brother are only about two hours away. Turns out she had to fly to Baltimore for business, had some free time, and drove up north to see us. Yay! It was one of the best birthday presents ever.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 10:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
turns out I have a bit of good news too. I had a meeting with my boss earlier and found out that I'm getting an 8.35% pay raise this year and may get a second, smaller raise at the end of January.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 11:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here's some more good news. I was given about $13,000 from my insurance to fix my trailer. It looks like I will only have to spend around $10,000 so the extra $3,000 will go to my savings. WOOT!!11eleventy-one!!

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 16:22      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's this: After a prolonged lack of employment rather forced me to return to school, I'm now serving an internship-to-die-for developing software at The Great Azure Empire's Markham Country Club. [Big Grin]

(Note: Employer's name has been changed to protect my anonymity, and because I just felt like it...)

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 19:33      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's good news that geekygoddess inspired a new forum!

Graduating with honors and inspiring a new forum all in one day. Wow!

Let's see ... good news.

At work we just landed a very big 3-year contract. Not too shabby in a recession.

My department is doubling in size! I just interviewed one new member of the department. Really bright. I'll find out soon when she starts.

On a business trip right now. And that is good because it is about growth.

Someone special has recently come into my life. Maybe I won't be as grumpy any more.

Lost 25 pounds this year.

With new hires coming in, maybe I'll have more time for the good things and good people in my life.

tra-la-la-la-la

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2008 16:17      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He He He...

I went "bowling" the other day. What a great game it was too [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

*blushes*

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 05:51      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a new job October 1. My blodd pressure has probably gone down 20 points.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 07:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to hear all those good money-related news in these days of economic turmoil. So it's when the world goes crazy that the geeks perform best? (It wouldn't surprise me.)

Congrats to all! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 14:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
I went "bowling" the other day. What a great game it was too [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Browsing this site I thought of you

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 14:20      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid...That just made my day!!!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 17:07      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait! You can get food too!?

-

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2008 21:22      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
It's nice to hear all those good money-related news in these days of economic turmoil. So it's when the world goes crazy that the geeks perform best? (It wouldn't surprise me.)

Congrats to all! [thumbsup]

In a poor economy, those who produce the most value tend to do best. This is the information age; smart people are value-producers.

As for me, I have sort of good news: my age just became a highly composite number. Next year I get to look forward to it being a perfect square. [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture