homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I'm Disappointed (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm Disappointed
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 13:41      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad our schedules did not line... based on timing and lack of intarweb. I have copies of my Freinds books here with your name on them... I still want to buy direct from you. PM me with details.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 13:12      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw May's tallies from Amazon.com. WS bought over 90% of them, and now we're in real debt over my stupid dream and I feel like Hell.

I'm not putting out the other two books because I have a responsibility to my husband to keep his household solvent. There are a dozen copies of the first book on my shelf. PM WinterSolstice and he can do what he wants with the dead trees.

And about PR? If I were good at PR, I would have a real job. In PR. Which I am not good at.

Thank you to the people who paid cash money to read what I wrote -- even $3 for the PDF. One person emailed me about the book, and Steen let me know he's in the process of emailing me, so that's . . . two.

He supports people here. He puts out for people here. Please remember that.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 16:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop that! That is self-destructive thinking so just cut it out.

Bringing any product to market, (yes, including the intellectual market), is indeed a race.

But it is NOT a sprint! It is a marathon.

So take a few more deep breaths, have a soothing beverage and sloooooow doooowwwwn, Jess. It is just that it takes a while.

Really. Relax. Play a little KoL (join the damn brain trust wouldja?) You've got plenty of time before you need to complete the other two. Just table it for a little while and give the first book a chance to make its way in the world, same as you would a child. You cannot rush these things... [Wink] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2007 16:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, I finished reading your book last night, but I haven't had time to post my review on Amazon. After I do, I'll gladly send the book on to someone else to read.* I'm really looking forward to your next two books to see how it all turns out. Hopefully everyone to whom you've sent books will be hooked like me and buy your book.

*If anyone wants to read Jess's book but can't afford it right now, send me a PM with your address (in the US or Canada) and I'll send my copy to you.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 05:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jess, get some perspective on this. You wrote a book. (Three, actually.) That in itself is an impressive accomplishment. Have some faith in yourself, you've earned it. Not only that, you have gone ahead and put that book out there for other people to read. Any creation is very personal, a part of the creator. Exposing it like that to the opinions of the world at large takes courage, but you did it. Most writers don't get that breakout book first time around; it's not a reflection on you or on the quality of your work. The most important thing is that you keep on pursuing your goal. If that means writing two more books, write two more books and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Have you thought about shopping it around to agents and publishing houses, rather than distributing it yourself?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 07:25      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has a chick lit series that I'm hoping we'll be able to shop around.

The issue (from my perspective) is that the Dome Trilogy is very personal and important to here - it's something that she takes incredibly seriously. Maybe too seriously. My advice has always been for her to self-publish this one so she has control over it, and shop the other books around.

For one thing, the other series are light-hearted and fun, so they appeal to a wider audience. They're also much smaller books.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 17:56      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're being too hard on yourself. I bought the PDF and thought it was awesome, I will definitely be sending a link to lulu two a few friends I think would enjoy it. I think one of the big problems with the rise of internet shopping is that people go looking for something specific, and possibly miss out on something they would really enjoy. It's not like a bookstore where people can spend hours browsing the shelves, and end up picking up something they've never heard of just because it looks interesting. If you're not specifically looking for it, you ignore other results (at least I do)

How about donating a copy to your local library? You'll get people to check it out while browsing, and if they feature you as a local author you can also get some exposure. I tend to re-read books, so even if I get one out of the library, when I like it, I usually end up buying it later anyway, and any sequels as well.

In my hometown, there is a small independent bookstore, and they always feature local authors on a bookstand by the register, great place to be, and easy to have people pick it up having never heard of the author or the book before. There's another Sci fi focused bookstore about an hour away that does something similar. I'm sure there would be comparable stores in your area, as I live about as far into the middle of nowhere as I think anyone can [Smile]

Good luck, and don't give up!

(I'm already waiting for the next books [Wink] )

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 01:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
The issue (from my perspective) is that the Dome Trilogy is very personal and important to here - it's something that she takes incredibly seriously. Maybe too seriously. My advice has always been for her to self-publish this one so she has control over it, and shop the other books around.

I gathered looking at the www.thedometrilogy.com that it was a choice Jess had made for specific reasons. In light of her recent posts about difficulties with editing and promotion, I thought I'd throw it out there since those are two things that she would get, going through a publishing house.

So what's it like living with a writer?

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 07:04      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
So what's it like living with a writer?

Hahahahaha - lonely [Smile]

Just like any other geek hobby/profession, it's something that is all consuming, but she does her best to balance things out. Writing, however, is a very solitary activity.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 14:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted my review on Amazon, but so far no takers on my copy of the book. Jess and WS, would you like me to send it to you so you can share it with someone else? I'm afraid it won't arrive wrapped as prettily as it did from Amazon!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 19:52      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
I saw May's tallies from Amazon.com. WS bought over 90% of them, and now we're in real debt over my stupid dream and I feel like Hell.

Jess, I've been trying to think of something helpful and wise to tell you. Since that isn't working .. [Big Grin] I'll just say this. I can say this because I learned it, myself. Artists have two choices regarding their art.

We can create our art because we must; it is as essential to us as breathing or eating and the joy as well as agony it brings us is our reward. This is the art we create for ourselves, and we would do it even if we were the only people on earth to ever see or know about it. There's not a thing wrong with this kind of art.

Then there is the art we create in hopes of financial gain. We usually do this because we want our cake and to eat it, too. In theory, we get to do what we must do, and we get to feed ourselves, doing it. Win-win. [thumbsup] The catch is, this kind of art is usually quite different than the personal art we are compelled to create, because is a sense, we are not the only creators. There are others who have a say in what we create.

In our artists rendition of an ideal world, we imagine that we can create exactly what we want and the masses will come clamoring to our doorstep. [Smile] In reality we usually need to pay our electric bills and since everybody else and his brother also fancies themselves a writer, getting backing means lots of competition, and having to tailor our creations to fit the masses. We have to give the publishers (and hopefully the readers) what they want. Sometimes that sucks.

Whenever an artist (of any sort, certainly not just writers) has to depend on someone else for financial backing, they usually feel compromised. This entity, patron or publisher, expects some type of return on their investment, so they tell us what to do and write. Sometimes it's okay because we can still mostly write what we want. Sometimes we have to give a little here and there, but at least we get to pay the bills. Sometimes they suck the soul right out of you.

I don't know the details of what you did, it sounds like you self published, which at least means your soul is still intact. [Big Grin] And it also means that the possibility still exists for your book to be picked up by a large house. [thumbsup]

Self publishing is something I don't know anything about. I can tell you, I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do it, if that's what I had to do. I am not that interested in self promotion and publicity. I just want to write! But that's the other snag. Artists usually just want to be left alone to create. But whether they are published through traditional means or self publish, publicity is expected, it's the norm and it's essential. The problem is, it means that being a writer is not enough, you also have to be a 'marketer.' Again, not something most of us are interested in.

So, if you are not excited about being that person, you may have just gone a long way in discovering that the type of writing you want to do, is more of a personal nature and not commercial. [thumbsup] Nothing wrong with that. Or you may find you fit a different venue for writing. Like, maybe you do a serial type series in a sci - fi mag and publish one chapter a month. Or you do some online publishing. Or if you're really serious about being a writer, you see what is in demand and then write that. It may not be sci - fi. In fact, it probably won't be. But hey, at least you'd still be writing. OR maybe you just overcome your angst and you somehow learn to become an awesome self promoter, pack up the kids and fill the minivan with books, and hit the road. [Big Grin]

The way I see it, miss depressed, is, you can either look at what you've done as a great personal success or as a great commercial failure. (And I still say it's way to early to cry defeat.) You were brave to do it. At least you made the effort. And you did something important, something you, your husband and your children can be proud of, and something that will, in one form or another, outlive you. That's pretty cool. There is never failure in that, as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, there's no shame in making the attempt. The shame lies in sitting on a dream until it actually is too late to go for it, and then living and dieing, with that regret.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 03:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post, boo.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture