homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I killed the rainforest today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I killed the rainforest today
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 16:47      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, I proceded to make 6,000 useless copies at work. I didn't know at the time, they would be useless, I'm sorry trees [Frown]
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 17:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you feel any better, the forests that died were old growth forests on the North American continent. They were long since destroyed, however, so your waste didn't kill the rainforest or any other forest..

Most paper in the US and Canada comes from trees grown and harvested on tree farms because it's far cheaper that way. The harvested areas are replanted and harvested again in 15-25 years, depending on species.

That sounds good except that tree farms don't provide the biological diversity needed to allow most other species of plants and animals to co-exist. If we used less paper, some of those areas could be returned to a more natural state, so you can feel bad about perpetuating the tree farms if you want.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 17:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe you could recycle all of it to at least partially offset the guilt.

Beware the wrath of the Ents!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 18:06      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Steen wrote:
That sounds good except that tree farms don't provide the biological diversity needed to allow most other species of plants and animals to co-exist. If we used less paper, some of those areas could be returned to a more natural state, so you can feel bad about perpetuating the tree farms if you want.

Amen, brother! The bit that kind of makes me a little pissy is that tree farms could be planted in a way that creates more varried habitats with a minimal increase in cost. Really, there are very few trees that can't be used to make paper, so there's no reason not to plant a variety of species on each tree farm. I'm not allowed to feel bad about using reams of paper because I'm a student, but my adult aspirations mitigate the damage, methinks: I wanna' do bioremediation when I grow up.

I suppose anyone who's been paying attention to the drivel I contribute to this board is wondering what happened to soil science. Well, you can be into dirt and clean up toxic waste at the same time. I'm just being pragmatic. Natural habitats tend to dwindle over time while pollution tends to increase. Gotta' have a job when I graduate or I'll not be able to pay off all those loans.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted March 13, 2007 19:08      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't feel too bad. A lot of that paper was post-consumer reycled paper.

And think about it this way: at least the tree was saved from the shame of having its "carbon reduction ability" from being rented by the Governator.

I hang my head in shame that people associate this scam with Californians.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 13, 2007 19:30      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why we need hemp dude! My eyes smell like lemons!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 19:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever happened to the paperless office they where all excited about in the late 80's early 90's?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 19:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it makes you feel better, we have just this year converted 4 hardcore paper-driven processes to be completely electronic.

Now it just wastes iron, water, coal, oil, and silicon.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 13, 2007 19:48      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and don't forget lead and mercury!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 18:11      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
quote:
Steen wrote:

Amen, brother! The bit that kind of makes me a little pissy is that tree farms could be planted in a way that creates more varried habitats with a minimal increase in cost. Really, there are very few trees that can't be used to make paper, so there's no reason not to plant a variety of species on each tree farm. I'm not allowed to feel bad about using reams of paper because I'm a student, but my adult aspirations mitigate the damage, methinks: I wanna' do bioremediation when I grow up.

I suppose anyone who's been paying attention to the drivel I contribute to this board is wondering what happened to soil science. Well, you can be into dirt and clean up toxic waste at the same time. I'm just being pragmatic. Natural habitats tend to dwindle over time while pollution tends to increase. Gotta' have a job when I graduate or I'll not be able to pay off all those loans.

Bioremediation? If you really want to see a place that needs to be remediated (biologically, that is), check out Butte, MT. The Berkeley Pit is technically the deepest lake in the state of Montana (even deeper than flathead) with an average pH of 2.5. Right now they're trying to breed extremophiles to help reduce the toxic substances in the Pit for the inevitable point in time where it spills over into Silverbow Creek.

Additionally, there are few trees in Butte: the mercury levels there are high enough to dramatically stunt the growth of large plants.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 18:31      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the past several years i have been able to keep my paper uses down so that i use one black ink cartridge per year - this year it has just been over half a year and my black ink cartridge is empty - besides the 25 bucks which it will cost to replace i have to wonder how much paper i have used - damn you science and your many lab reports.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 19:05      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
nerdwithnofriends wrote:

Additionally, there are few trees in Butte: the mercury levels there are high enough to dramatically stunt the growth of large plants.

Mercury contamination's a toughy. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to tackle that issue. Then again, I don't know what kind of technologies I'll have access to when I begin my carreer, so it might not seem so difficult by then.

quote:
If you really want to see a place that needs to be remediated (biologically, that is), check out Butte, MT. The Berkeley Pit is technically the deepest lake in the state of Montana (even deeper than flathead) with an average pH of 2.5. Right now they're trying to breed extremophiles to help reduce the toxic substances in the Pit for the inevitable point in time where it spills over into Silverbow Creek.
Now that sounds like a cool project!! I'd love it! There are a number of photosynthetic sulfur bacteria that would do a number on the sulfuric acid. The metal contamination is a tougher issue. Like I said before, we'll probably have better tools by the time I graduate. Some of the extremophiles that have adapted to the lake sound like they'd be really interesting to study in their own right. I like alien critters and you don't get much more alien than extremophiles.

Wow, there are some places around the water line where the ground looks almost like it's corroding. That's pretty... In a scary sort of way.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 19:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lab in my department that studies a bug that was isolated from a stream heavily contaminated with pesticide. This bug had evolved, all on its lonesome, a metabolic pathway that allowed it to eat the pesticide. The lab is trying to figure out how it did that. It's a cool story. Bacteria are nifty.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 19:56      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I learn about the wee buggers the more I admire them.

--------------------

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 04:39      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
I'm sorry trees [Frown]

Perhaps we could have a moment of silence. [Frown]
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
The more I learn about the wee buggers the more I admire them.

Quorum sensing rocks. [thumbsup]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 04:41      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wee buggers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 12:43      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those "wee buggers" seem to be immune to most pesticides in this house, best way to kill them is the shoe.

--------------------

Posts: 33 | From: Hacker Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2007 04:51      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Well, if it makes you feel better, we have just this year converted 4 hardcore paper-driven processes to be completely electronic.

We're working on that, too. We have several large laser printers working more or less constantly during business hours. Moving to an electronic workflow will pay for itself quickly, but it's hard to convince The Powers That Be of that, because we've always done it the old way.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture