homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I am such a cheapskate ... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I am such a cheapskate ...
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:25      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... when it comes to turning the heat on. I hate paying the heating bill. I'm not an all-around cheapskate; I pay more for undergarments than I ever would on utilities. It's just that the gas rates are freakin' highway robbery!

It finally got cold again after being almost warm here in Georgia, and I just can't bring myself to turn on the heat. [shake head] I've been drinking hot tea and cocoa all day to try to keep warm. Nothing seems to work, but I'd rather freeze than turn on that stupid heat. ::shakes fist at vent::

I'm getting crotchety at the ripe old age of 28! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Posts: 235 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh....maybe that answers the question I raised in another thread... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to try an electric oil filled radiator style heater. They take a bit to warm a room, but they're great for conserving power. I use two to heat my apartment rather than the installed heating and my utility bills in winter are routinely $60 or less.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:41      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bill was over $200 this month. I need to move closer to the equator...
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 02, 2007 12:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People not living in europe have no perspective to complain about the high cost of electricity and fossil fuels.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 12:43      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
People not living in europe have no perspective to complain about the high cost of electricity and fossil fuels.

I guess you've got me there. I've heard what you guys pay to fuel your cars over in Europe. How do you afford to live?
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 12:59      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering: When your body's cold, doesn't it burn more calories to warm itself? So maybe enduring the torture of freezing will have some benefits. [Razz]
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 13:19      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to be pretty light on the heating and a/c, also. I've been using the heating a bit more than I'd like the past month, but I still keep a pretty low bill.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 13:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a cheap-ass bastard when it comes to my electric bill. I use Compact Florescent bulbs in all my lamps, and I almost NEVER turn the heat above 68ish. I usually turn it down to 60 when I'm not home and at night, too. So far my most expensive electric bill has been about $32/mo. I must be doing something right [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 14:41      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:

Ouch! Dunno about you, but I'm on an equal payment plan for my Hydro... about $121/month at the moment. That covers all electricity (heating, etc.). Maybe a programmable thermostat? Doesn't make sense to heat a place when no one is home... Well, the cats don't seem to like that...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 14:43      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(D'oh! I hate posting right after my own post!)

You might want to invest in a really nice down duvet/comforter. It will definitely keep you toasty warm at night. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 15:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Wanna see something really scary ?

selected highlights:

Australia: 0.099
Canada: 0.068
Denmark: 0.295
Switzerland: 0.143
UK: 0.149
USA: 0.095

(U.S. Dollars per Kilowatt hour)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10678 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 16:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where I live: 0.073

Yay for hydroelectric and nuclear power instead of oil.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 18:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I chose ConEd to supply my electricity and paid $.066. This year they tried to raise the rate to $.099. They must think I'm an idiot. If I actually took the time to research alternate suppliers I sure as hell ain't gonna roll over for them a year later. Mind you neither of those prices reflect the delivery charge, which is another 3 cents or so.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1741 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 06:00      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

selected highlights:

Australia: 0.099
UK: 0.149

Don't suppose you could bottle some of your electricity and send it over? Actually, that would probably be more expensive...

How about you email me some? [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 07:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Stibbon's post and thought it must be our total score in the last test. [shake head]

Cricket loverly cricket!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 08:56      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detroit Edison (aka:DTE) has me on the "Space Heating Rate" which is quite confusing, to say the least. [crazy]

June through Oct:
First 17 kWh per day: $0.08721/kWh
After 17kWh: $0.10131/kWh

Nov. through May:
First 20kWh per day: $0.08697/kWh
After 20kWh: $0.07024/kWh

All prices include the "Distribution surcharge."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 10:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rate for Canada is misleading.

That's around the charge we pay per kWh for the energy.

Then there's a 'debt retirement fee' (yes, they're making us pay for their bad spending decisions), the 'transmission fee', and various other nonsense fees that make it closer to $0.11/kWh after all is said and done.

My house is heated by natural gas. My furnace is a high-efficiency, and my thermostat is set to 20c (68f) during the day, and 18c (64f) during night time. I haven't received my first gas bill as this house, so I don't know how much it will cost me yet, but my gas worked out to ~$40 CAD/mo at my last place using a mid-efficiency furnace in a bigger house set to ~70f. Although this house has a gas fireplace, and a gas stove, so we'll see.

My electrical bill I haven't a clue about yet, as I haven't received the first electricity bill either, but all of my lightbulbs are the fluorescent lower wattage bulbs, my stove is gas, and I'm getting a new fridge in about a week that uses a mere 416kWh/year to keep cold. I have only 1 CRT in the house, and it's my 27" TV. My bigscreen is a projection, and my computer monitors are all LCD. My washer & dryer are very new, and I use the energy saver setting on them, and so their draw is also quite low. My hydro bill at my last house was approximately $60/mo.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 11:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
The rate for Canada is misleading.

That's around the charge we pay per kWh for the energy.

Plus the rates aren't the same in every provinces. Quebec has the lowest rate, I believe (and it's retirement fund is healthy). Other provinces aren't that lucky.

See Hydro-Quebec's rates, for comparison (in French).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 11:55      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My furnace, water heater, stove and dryer all run on natural gas. Our total energy bill is about $250/month on the "budget" plan (i.e., level payments throughout the year).

I'm guessing the main problem is our 30-year old furnace, which besides being ancient was apparently converted from burning oil to burning natural gas. I learned recently that the pilot light is a foot long jet of flame. You can literally see the meter moving when the pilot is lit. I really wish I'd followed my instinct and looked into the pilot light situation when we moved in five years ago!

There is a woodstove in the basement with a rudimentary heat exhanger hooked into the heating ducts, so we try to use that when it's really cold out.

I really need to replace the furnace, though. It's on the list. After a replacement for the old purple iMac DV G3. And an HDTV. And...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1741 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
HikerCA
Newbie Larva
Member # 3277

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted January 04, 2007 08:44      Profile for HikerCA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five things I did that cut my natural gas and electric bill by 50% over the last year have been:
1. Upped the insulation in the attic from R7 (treated woodchips) to R46 (blown cellulose insulation, yes your old copy of the Globe and Mail and LA Times is in my attic, treated against fire and pests) Cost = $860US

2. Compact florecent and LED lighting, last longer and cut electric use by 60% Cost = $80US

3. Insulated the hot water tank (it's relatively new, if it would be needing replacement, I'd go with an inline water heater 40% energy) and insulated the hot water pipes. Cost = $20US

4. Sealed and insulated all the lower windows, replaced 3 of them upstairs with double glazed and spray foamed the heck around each of the openings of the windows that remained windows. Cost $1500 installed + insulating the remaining $50

5. Retrofitted the two entry doors with new seal kits. Cost = $70

Total cost = $2580 Payback at my current rate of consumption with NO price increases in utilities, 30 months. After that it's all gravy, baby! [Smile]

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 15:24      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solution?

5 words, darling.

Cast iron wood burning stove.

Call me when you get what I mean, get what I mean?

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 17:07      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Taco wrote:

Cast iron wood burning stove.

I'd love it but I don't think I can get the landlord to go for it.
(especially here on the second floor...)

Of course the best exercise I've gotten this fall has been helping
my dad and brothers clear out the deadfall in the back of my
parents wood lot. By the time we get to the back it will be time
to start on the front again. This activity helps keep me warm but
that's only a temporary effect. They have the woodstoves.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 20:08      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chicgeek:
... when it comes to turning the heat on. I hate paying the heating bill. I'm not an all-around cheapskate; I pay more for undergarments than I ever would on utilities. It's just that the gas rates are freakin' highway robbery!

It finally got cold again after being almost warm here in Georgia, and I just can't bring myself to turn on the heat. [shake head] I've been drinking hot tea and cocoa all day to try to keep warm. Nothing seems to work, but I'd rather freeze than turn on that stupid heat. ::shakes fist at vent::

I'm getting crotchety at the ripe old age of 28! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Have you looked into any passive or alternative heating solutions? (windows, solar heating, siphoning off the heat from your CPU...). That sort of thing may require an initial investment, but it will probably save money in the long run.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 15, 2007 23:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:

I'm the GC member who lives the closest to the equator (Colombia), it seems that it's not so bad living in a third world country. There are no seasons, weather is great, avetage temperature in my city is 23 degrees celsius, so gas is only for cooking and water heating providing gas fees as low as $10. Think on living here! Vive Colombia, viaja por ella! [Wink]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture