homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Random, shocking confession ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Random, shocking confession ...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 16:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh in your dreams.
IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 17:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Borrow your father's (friend's, etc) $5K waterproof diver style Rolex
2. Drop it into diving pool
3. ...

Enough of an incentive for ya? [Razz]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 18:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wtf dude :P
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 19:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the scenario zsr has presented, you have two options: either very quickly learn to swim, or replace your friend's very expensive watch.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 21:30      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, my dad taught me how to swim when I was a wee lass. I was outfitted with floaty things on my arms and my dad would stand about 10 feet away from me and I'd have to swim to him. Of course, when I finally got there he would inch back a little bit so that I would have to swim some more.

When I was little I would spend literally HOURS in the water over the summer while my mom would lounge by the pool reading a book. Being even more of an oddball than I am today, I would often just swim underwater by myself and pretend that I was a mermaid. Nowadays I prefer the lounging by the pool with a book thing [Smile]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2006 21:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first experience witha swimming pool happened on a family vacation when I was 3 or 4. My mom was hanging out on the pool deck with my sister in her lap. My dad jumped into the water. I thought that looked like fun so I jumped in after him. And then water started coming in my mouth and I start flailing and sinking and my dad grabbed me and threw me out of the pool. I don't remember how I reacted, but my sister was screaming her head off.

I got swimming lessons after that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 05:02            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I'm confused. What part of a "waterproof diver style Rolex" needs saving from being dropped in a pool? The guarantee?

Even my cheap digital watch, must be ten years old now (only just on the second cell though) still allows you to press the buttons underwater even when the manual says you're not to ever do that (it's not even meant to go underwater I think).

No, the Rolex will be fine, just fine.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 06:26      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be ashamed of myself if I had to rely on Big Oil to get myself everywhere. I'm proud to say that I ride a bike, for fun, to keep myself in shape, and for political and ethical reasons...but I'm even prouder to say that I don't even have a driver's license. I like to lock up my bike while everyone else in my building's paying $30 to park their car, and I like to get smug with people who bitch about gasoline prices. [Razz]

Those of you who don't know how should learn, and stop being dependent on non-renewable fuel run by corrupt big businesses for everything.

(Swimming's easier. Just get someone to throw you in the deep end. You'll learn, it's so common sense that it's practically instinctive.)

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2006 08:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I'd be ashamed of myself if I had to rely on Big Oil to get myself everywhere. I'm proud to say that I ride a bike, for fun, to keep myself in shape, and for political and ethical reasons...but I'm even prouder to say that I don't even have a driver's license. I like to lock up my bike while everyone else in my building's paying $30 to park their car, and I like to get smug with people who bitch about gasoline prices. [Razz]

Well, although I take the bus to work, I use my car for shopping (try bringing home some heavy/cumbersome purchases on a crowded bus, let alone on a bicycle) and long-distance (going to my parent's place and back costs 25% less in fuel than the two-way bus ticket for a ride that leaves me about 100km from my destination). So I'm happy to have a driving licence. Still I should get myself a bike, if only because using it for small errands would help me get in shape.

And my shocking confession? Every once in a while, I like to play Pokemon on my GameBoy... [blush] (Well, the critters are kinda cute, and I love blasting my opponents. But I usually get bored before reaching the end of the game, as past level 40, they take so much time to grow in level, and beating the final opponents requires a team of 6 with a level 60 - or almost.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2006 14:08      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, at least water doesn't play mind games with you ... or send you mixed signals ... or drop you like a bad habit when it learns you're not "easy" ...
Posts: 235 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 09:50      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Those of you who don't know how should learn, and stop being dependent on non-renewable fuel run by corrupt big businesses for everything.

(Swimming's easier. Just get someone to throw you in the deep end. You'll learn, it's so common sense that it's practically instinctive.)

I can't wait till next year, I'll be moving to a flatter city that is more bicycle-friendly. Unfortunately, we lack the infrastructure out here to make bicycle travel completely feasible (with the exception of my hometown... there are even separate bike lanes on all the roads). The thing is, everything is so spread out up here; we aren't jam-packed. Of course there are buses, but they suck, and if everybody stopped driving tomorrow to get between here and where they work (which is more often than not a rural area), there would be a general panic.

Most people here ride bikes out of a sense of economy rather than for political or ethical reasons. Like I said, I look forward to doing that next year to get on and off campus and save money which I can later use on b00ze.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 11:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really need a bike lane, y'know. A nice shoulder will do the job. Or you can just cling to the right side of the road. You need some nerve to do that on a busy road, but you'll survive.

Sidewalks are also an option, but that's not always legal and, anyways, you have to dodge pedestrians and that can be even scarier than riding in traffic.

Climbing hills is good for your soul. Especially in a head wind. Or a really brisk crosswind.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 16:07      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
You don't really need a bike lane, y'know. A nice shoulder will do the job. Or you can just cling to the right side of the road. You need some nerve to do that on a busy road, but you'll survive.

Sidewalks are also an option, but that's not always legal and, anyways, you have to dodge pedestrians and that can be even scarier than riding in traffic.

Climbing hills is good for your soul. Especially in a head wind. Or a really brisk crosswind.

I didn't say I needed them; I said it's cool that my hometown has them. Besides, from what I hear of all my friends who ride bikes, the gravel that accumulates on the shoulder is a bitch. I wouldn't really know, but it makes sense; sometimes they gravel the roads here so heavily in the winter that they're more slippery than they would be without gravel.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2006 16:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Maybe not [Frown]

quote:
from TFA:
A promising young cyclist with a dream of competing in the Tour de France has been killed after being struck by a four-wheel drive on a two-lane highway in central Victoria.

Scott Peoples, 20, had just won a scholarship with the Victorian Institute of Sport when a Nissan Patrol hit his bike on a training ride...

Scott's devastated father, Shane Peoples, of Shepparton, said police had indicated the driver did not see Scott, although the two-lane highway was clear of bushfire smoke and haze.

"There was no smoke at all," Mr Peoples said of the area, which is close to the fire-ravaged high country. "The bloke - the driver - had a clear view."

This is why I stopped cycling, for some drivers
"I didn't see the bike" == "I was looking out for cars, I expect bikes to stay out of my way"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Captain Marvel
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 13:50      Profile for Captain Marvel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing happened to me, druid. I was riding about in my home town when I got hit by a car, knocked me off and I fractured my arm. Although the injury itself wasn't so bad, mentally I was very shaken. The guy that knocked my off was suprisingly sympathetic, I've been nudged a couple of times, which has caused me to dismount my bicycle, no one has ever stopped.

As for swimming, I'm an increadbly strong swimmer. I lived in a sea-side town when I was younger, I used to go swimming most mornings in the sea, rain or shine. I've never met anyone who can't swim, the only time I got uneasy in water was when I went scuba diving for the first time in Tunisia. The waters were very musky and full of sea life you literally could only see 3 feet ahead of you. When "things" were brushing past my legs at -30 feet, I paniced. I guess that feeling I had, whailing about, desperatly trying to get to surface was the same feeling "non-swimmers" have when pushed into water. Not nice! - I feel for ya.

Posts: 11 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 14:11      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really you, Captain Marvel? [Happytears]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Captain Marvel
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 15:55      Profile for Captain Marvel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Is it really you, Captain Marvel? [Happytears]

Sadly not, maybe if I were, thoose bastards that nudged me on my bike would have recieved a piece of my mind!
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 19:39      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time, give their side window (and their skull, if possible) a piece of your u-lock.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 03:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Next time, give their side window (and their skull, if possible) a piece of your u-lock.

Kryptonite U-lock, bicycle, and rider: 70-100 kg approx

Toyota Land Cruiser, with driver: 2500 kg approx

My money's on the Land Cruiser.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Captain Marvel
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 04:29      Profile for Captain Marvel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, people used to say, "oh, you should have punched that prick!?!"

Similar reply. [Roll Eyes]

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 20:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking from personal experience, a cyclist is not going to win in a fight with a SUV. But you can at least let them know you're there.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 05:42      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am for the car here.
Unless there is a seperate bike lane, I recommend to stay away from busy streets.
There are many accidents - even though you try to let the car driver know you're there doesn't mean he gets it.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 08:16      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

...then you've clearly never had the pleasure of smashing a windshield with a Kryptonite. (He deserved it.)

I've been hit by plenty of cars, buses, and duck boats, but the trick is to just get back up and keep pedaling. I shattered my left hand and wrist in a bike-versus-truck, and just spent the next twelve weeks riding with a cast on. There are chips of bone that have split from my tibia and are floating around in there, from the time I was doored by a taxi. The road rash scars are innumerable. (Shark Boy tried to count 'em once and was promptly distracted.) But you know something? If you get hit while you're on a bike, you can tuck and roll and get out relatively unscathed. If you're in a car accident, all you can do is hope that the airbags don't break your nose.

I'd rather take an active role in my own survival, thank you very much. [Big Grin]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2006 11:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

...then you've clearly never had the pleasure of smashing a windshield with a Kryptonite. (He deserved it.)
Actually, back in the day I used to carry about 1.5 metres of thick, heavy chain with a big sturdy padlock, (this was the age of dinosaurs - Kryptonites weren't invented yet). One wanker came up close behind me in his car, hit the horn and screamed abuse at me for the crime of being a cyclist on HIS road, then drove off laughing. Scared the fsck out of me.

About 300 metres later, he came to a red light, and I caught up. It's amazing how much damage you can do to a car with a nice thick chain in 10 seconds.

But the smart money's still on the motorists... [Frown]

--------------------

Captain Marvel
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 12:53      Profile for Captain Marvel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story there, druid! - I would have attempted to cause damage to the numerous amount of cars that have knocked me off, but,

1.) I have no handy weapon (any suggestions?, I don't want anything to heavy, I'm certainly not the stongest bloke on the planet, in fact, I'm increadbly weak...) I keep my light weight locking device in my rucksack.

2.) Nearly all of them were "hit n' run" accidents, barring one guy, who stopped and checked is I was OK, I wasn't going to hit him, lol.

As for the tuck n' roll, demos, it's certainly not for me, if you were to see a picture of me, I'm not built for the whole, athletic rolling of a bike jobby. Everytime I have been hit off, mostly i've been lucky, apart from the one fracture, my "escape" is just, umm, gravity...

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture