homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Confessions eh..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confessions eh..
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 02:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In high school I used to skip school to go to libraries. I did this so I could go to private libraries without being questioned. On the weekend private libraries are more likely to question if you have a student ID badge. My local public library was more of a DVD and Cd rental place than a place for books. In fact that is the only reason I ever skipped school in high school. Never got caught either. My teachers always believed my "oh, I was sick and my mom forgot to call."

Now college was a different story. I'd skip class for anything, though mostly just to sleep in. But on many occasions just so I could watch star trek.

EDITED

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 13:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never skipped class in HS.

I did, however, use social psychology as naptime.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 13:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Final year Further Object Oriented Design lectures, I started teaching myself Psion OPL and how to do event loop programming (kinda nothing to do with objects :) on my palmtop, and wrote my first serious Psion app, two-player battleships. I once spent a whole day on it, during all my classes and all spare time, and that was the one and only time I ran the entire battery down in one day, all eight hours of it.

The rest of my final year lectures were definitely nap time (ok, not all of them, but quite a lot!), bored the shit out of me and I didn't care any more.

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2006 20:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka...obviously you skipped a few classes if you can't spell 'libraries.' [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 05:31      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After an all-nighter on Monday night to finish an assignment, I fell asleep during my advanced calculus class. Does that count as skipping?

Oh I skip classes all the time, anyway. When you can get all the notes off the classes server, it's not really that big of a deal.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 14:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you're like me and the physical act of taking notes is something you need to learn... This is why, even though I certainly skipped classes, I didn't skip anywhere near as many as my peers did.

I did more or less stop going to astronomy because the teacher sucked and all I did was sleep. I figured that if all I'm going to do is sleep I might as well not even be there.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 15:19      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cut class to go see Richard Stallman speak at Boston University once. I thought I was the most rebellious thing in the world. [Razz]
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 20:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have slept in every class I've ever taken in Highschool.

This includes gym and weightlifting.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 11:14      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I skipped exactly one class in HS, although I'm not sure it counted. On "Senior Skip Day" my AP calculus class walked to one of the city baseball fields and took some measurements to determine if the base path is a regular diamond or a rhombus. But the teacher came, too, so I don't know if we were really skipping...

In college I think I attended exactly one class. That would explain my utter failure and subsequent withdrawal. I've learned everything I need to know so far by actually doing it. Maybe I'd be earning more with an actual degree though.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 12:46      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I cut class to go see Richard Stallman speak at Boston University once. I thought I was the most rebellious thing in the world. [Razz]

I was about to say the same thing about Stallman himself [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 14:36      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our AP Chem class didn't learn anything after the AP exam, so through the latter part of May we did a variety of things. Some people played spades, Some people played Soul Calibur in the enormous closet in the back, others just left campus for that class period. During the last week of school, I left campus with a friend to go to Biscuitville (sort of like Dunkin Donuts, except tastier). When I placed my order, the conversation went something like this:
me: "I'd like a #6 combo."
lady: "What would you like to drink with that?"
me: "Orange juice, please"
lady: "And can I get your name?"

o_O

Biscuitville had never asked for my name before... it kind of freaked me out, as I technically wasn't supposed to be off campus. Was she going to turn me in? I thought. Thankfully it was new store policy to take customer names with orders, and I calmed down when she asked everyone else for their name.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 14:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: goo & places asking for names:

I had a similar reaction the first time I went to a Peet's store (in San Fran?). My gut feeling was "Why do you want to know my name?" I think I made an inquiry about marketing, and the person behind the counter said "Oh no, sir, it's just so we can let you know when your drink is ready." D'oh!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 15:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of places around here ask for your name and/or address and/or postal code.

When you say, "Bob Dole", "123 Fake St." and "A1A 1A1", they usually understand you're not interested in giving that information, and just skip it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 17:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
A lot of places around here ask for your name and/or address and/or postal code.

When you say, "Bob Dole", "123 Fake St." and "A1A 1A1", they usually understand you're not interested in giving that information, and just skip it.

I'm usually not a schmuck like that - I politely decline or just provide a nearby zip code (postal code). I won't provide patently false information about myself...but a zip code is quite generic anyway and not fully linked to myself.

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 20:20      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Re: goo & places asking for names:

I had a similar reaction the first time I went to a Peet's store (in San Fran?). My gut feeling was "Why do you want to know my name?" I think I made an inquiry about marketing, and the person behind the counter said "Oh no, sir, it's just so we can let you know when your drink is ready." D'oh!

My university sandwich place does this. On the grill slip, there's a line that says "Name (or alias)"; for the longest time, I thought that was to placate the paranoid among us. Then my roommate pointed out that a lot of our asian students use Western aliases.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 03:19      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

Thats a bold claim? [Eek!]
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 03:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maybe.logic:
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

Thats a bold claim? [Eek!]
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Uhmmm.. many statements, with the correct intonation, can be questions. Not this one. Is this a question, a joke, or a statement?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 12:02      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A statement.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture