homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I have a confession...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a confession...
Crimson
Geek
Member # 5163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 19:17      Profile for Crimson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I have sinned... I hardly know anything about computers. [Frown] I lack even the basics. I am lucky that I know how to connect to the internet. [Eek!] [Frown]
Posts: 106 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 19:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world has changed, mate. My first computer was a 6502-based home micro whose manual covered a gamut from plugging it in up to introductory 6502 assembly and full details on every OS call on the system.

Even Windows 3.11 came with a sizeable and pretty decent manual, which still adorns my bookshelf. Now we've got to modern Windows and Mac OS X the documentation is bloody useless and tells you nothing. (Look up anything in Windows help and all you learn is about the same as what the help topic was called and few bleedingly obvious paragraphs. Mac OS X Tiger's help doesn't even work at all.)

I personally vote for every machine coming with a proper manual like they used to in the early 1980s. No-one would ever read it, mind, but those who did would have a fascinating read.

IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 19:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crimson____________________Forty years ago I could not use one either, and I was the same age as you. We had to do our calculations on Slide Rules(I still have mine somewhere around here) and word processors were not yet invented, we did not even have calculators, and the phones had dials. LBJ and Barry Goldwater were running for pres, it's been a wild ride.

By the way what part of Mi, I live just North of the Sag. Bay

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crimson
Geek
Member # 5163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 20:12      Profile for Crimson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...

I live near Clinton Township about a half a mile.

Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 20:16      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I've read a software manual in.... 27 years. And I'm 27 years old.

Now don't worry about not knowing computers... even geeks have their blindspots. However to make up for it you need to be able to do the 30 lives trick in Contra.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crimson
Geek
Member # 5163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 20:36      Profile for Crimson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. Could be hard.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 21:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mochan: Nor me, much, but every now and then I'll be looking in one and find something that I really wished I'd known months/years ago and kick myself for not having bothered to read it in the first place [Smile]
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture