homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I'm into Mixed Martial Arts! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm into Mixed Martial Arts!
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 21:46      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the usual geek fare. Are any other people here into MMA? Not necessarily practicing it, but who here enjoys watching Pride/UFC/K1/King of the Cage/etc.?

Not your typical geek pasttime so I think it should be shocking! Heh

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 22:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, I just enjoy kicking ass IRL [Razz]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 04:52      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've trained for 3 years in Grappling, and Mui Tai Kick boxing for UFC, 2 years of Tang Su Do, am currently working on my Grey Belt in Marine Corps Martial Arts, Wrestled Grecko Roman, Collegiate and freestyle for 4 years (by far my favorite so far) and I meditate. There's more but nothing else significant to mention.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 09:36      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Wrestled Grecko Roman, Collegiate and freestyle for 4 years (by far my favorite so far) and I meditate.

Admit it -- you just like to 'grapple' guys.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 20:14      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're no Geek! You're... a muscle-bound geek.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 21:09      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Wrestled Grecko Roman, Collegiate and freestyle for 4 years (by far my favorite so far) and I meditate.

Admit it -- you just like to 'grapple' guys.
Do you wanna grapple?

/me hands newf the oil

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 03:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do Tae Kwando, and I know others do an art or two. X does Akydio, no?

I'd really like to take Kendo, but the classes on it the university offers clash with other things.

Tae Kwando is often used in martial arts movies, even when they say they are doing another art, because the Tae Kwando focuses on fancy kicks. It's not the best art for self defence though, as it requires keeping the oppoent at a distance -- not very good when the oppent gets closer... So, they do some basic grappling, but it's not the main focus,

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 07:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing some training in Ga'un, the ancient Chinease discipline of fighting with speeding lead pellets.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 10:05      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a red belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and working on my brown. My school teaches a lot of arm techniques and leg techniques as well as Judo, Karate, Jujitsu, Hapkido, and others... Grand Master Byrnes holds black belts in Seven to Nine arts and learned them all in Asia.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 10:12      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The real Stealth:
I'm a red belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and working on my brown. My school teaches a lot of arm techniques and leg techniques as well as Judo, Karate, Jujitsu, Hapkido, and others... Grand Master Byrnes holds black belts in Seven to Nine arts and learned them all in Asia.

W.T.F. (World Tae Kwandow Federation, not the typical WTF) or I.T.F. (International Tae Kwando Federation)?

In our school, an ITF school, Brown comes before Red (though our school also has a few more belts than most ITF schools). We do Hapkido, but no Jujitsu, Judo or Karate.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 10:20      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studied Ishin Ryu for a few years before I joined the Marines and then Shaolin chuan fa while I was in the Marines. When I left the Marines I found that there was no Shaolin chuan fa dojo in town and my former Ishin Ryu Sensei had retired and his partenr had moved the dojo closer to his home and out of my town. I briefly took up Tae Kwon do but the attitude of the Sensei there was the oppoiste of my previous Sensei's in that he felt that I should put all else that I had learned about martial arts out of my mind and practice only what he taught while my previous Sensei's believed that there is something to be learned from every style and often invited instructors from other dojos teaching other styles to give demonstrations and help us expand our horizons beyond what we were learning from our dojo. Unfortunately, since I left Tae Kwon do I haven't studied Martial arts anywhere, partly due to full time school and work schedules but also partly because there were no dojos that I was interested in close to either work or home for me study at until recently. There is one right down the street from my current apartment, but I haven't checked out what they teach or what they cost yet.

--------------------
David Rogers

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 10:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I do Tae Kwando, and I know others do an art or two. X does Akydio, no?

Aikido. [Razz] I fall like a cat. Haven't mastered the fine art of slamming into large metallic objects safely though.

Got my first degree blackbelt before I finished HS and then more or less went on hiatus while I was in college for lack of a good dojo. I trained when I was home though, and while I was at school I did Shotokan karate. I got my brown belt and then graduated. Thing is, for some reason, I'm not that in love with the striking arts (I didn't like TKD much when I was a kid, which I why I got into aikido in the first place) so when I moved to Boulder I stopped doing karate. There's a Shotokan club at the local YMCA, but I can't really afford dues at more than one dojo right now and I prefer aikido. Maybe one day I'll get back into it. I the meantime I've recovered from my hiatus and got my second degree last fall. I wasn't expecting to be allowed to test, but I guess Sensei decided it was time for me to advance. Even though I took my initial test under someone else. I'm still in touch with my old dojo back in Seattle, and even though technically he doesn't have to (he went independent of the world organization a year or two after I got my black belt...martial arts politics are nasty) my former Sensei also recognizes my new rank. He was pretty supportive of my karate endeavours too. I've been very lucky - both dojos I've been affiliated with are run by open-minded people.

BJJ and Kendo have both caught my eye (what a combo [Razz] ). I could take classes fairly cheaply through the university. Kendo conflicts with Tuesday night aikido, though god knows my weapons work needs all the help it can get. BJJ happens in the middle of the day during the school year. I really should look into it. It seems like it's be a good compliment for my aikido.

/me is considering.....

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 11:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a black belt in sudo count?
IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 12:12      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Would a black belt in sudo count?

Of course! I bet you can fsck something up with that. [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 15:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
I fall like a cat. Haven't mastered the fine art of slamming into large metallic objects safely though.

It's not for lack of practice

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 16:06      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it's a typical geek pasttime after all!
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 16:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Xanthine wrote:
I fall like a cat. Haven't mastered the fine art of slamming into large metallic objects safely though.

It's not for lack of practice

Sure it is. Practice makes perfect. I just need to find some padded cars to practice on. The real deal is kinda messy. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 15:44      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UFC is great sport. But if you want to know wht to do to stay alive in the worst case learn Krav Maga or RMA .

By the way UFC's greatest matchup maybe Next Saturday!

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 17:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Practice makes perfect. I just need to find some padded cars to practice on.

Car-Fu [Smile]

From this site: "The designers believe their “soft car” could be on the road by the end of the decade. General Motors has agreed to build a prototype as early as 2006."

-
More pictures

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 17:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was actually a Systema (aka RMA aka Russian System) seminar in Boulder a couple years ago. I didn't know about it so I didn't go, but my boyfriend did and came back with some neat stuff. The Systema founder was also at the AikiExpo last year. I couldn't go though - I went to a science conference instead. Hopefully next time there's an AikiExpo the Systema guys will be back and I'll be able to go. From what I've seen and had done to me, it's some good stuff and it fits in very nicely with aikido. Which might be why they get invited to the AikiExpo...

I've herd some good things about Krav Maga as well. There's a school not very far from where I live that teaches it, but I'm not sure how legit they are (their website raised some of my red flags). The school that is. I'm sure the art itself is fine. [Razz]

Edit: LOL Steen!

That's right. I want every car on the roads to be padded for the protection of cyclists and pedestrians. If you're not going to look where you're goin you might as well provide a soft landing for the people you cut off or crash into. [Big Grin]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 18:39      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mochan:
Looks like it's a typical geek pasttime after all!

I think it has a lot to do with our hobbies in general. I fight (and I say fight because that is what i do) to relieve stress. Same reason I run a lot. Stress built up from my work on top of that, I enjoy the disclipine it takes to be good at it. It takes a lot of focus and the ability to react in high stress situations. For me, being a marine, it comes down to absolute obiedience and willingness to orders but being able to think clearly for yourself will save your life.

In summary, I do it for the clarity of mind and discipline.

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 20:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be deep into Llap-Goch but I gave it up because it frightened my girlfriend at the time.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 16:47      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm entering my 3rd year of kung fu, but thats the only martial art I take.

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 22:52      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This title made me think mixed...

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 04:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Haven't mastered the fine art of slamming into large metallic objects safely though.

Neither has -ct- </OT>

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture