homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I have a confession....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have a confession....
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm usually a very dedicated person. I usually want to make absolutely certain that I do everything precisely correctly, especially when it comes to my work. Admittedly, no matter how silly it is, I take pride in my job, no matter how infintesimal it may be.

I just can't help it, though, I just can't care that much anymore! I know no one else really cares about their job (let me qualify that by saying, no one else in my department (stocking)). We all know that we're not going to change the world by putting items in their correct locations on shelves. We know that, if it were cheaper (and thankfully it isn't), Meijer would replace us with trained monkeys, no matter how many company statements and policies they have about "people first."

Let me give you tonight's example of my horrendous mis-deeds. This will require some background info. We have on each^H^H^H^H most boxes of items what is called a PIC label, and on most PIC labels there is a nice location code that breaks the location of the item down to the isle, shelf, and tag number. We are supposed to only put items out at their particular shelf/hang tag and if they don't fit they go into backstock.

Once in a while, in fact, more than once in a while, in fact, quite often, in fact, almost on a nightly basis, I run into an item that has a shelf tag but has a COMPLETELY different item already at that tag. This situation should never ever happen, but other people (read: stockers) are often too lazy to put things in their proper place, so they just stick it somewhere where it looks good (to them!) and leave it. This leaves me with the responsibility of locating where the item is *supposed* to go (this time without the aid of a PIC label, I have to actually look for the item myself without having the faintest idea where it's supposed to go), moving the item to it's appropriate location and then stocking the correct item.

I was stocking car floor mats tonight, and this isle is a complete mess. Nothing is where it's supposed to be. I found where this seat cover was supposed to go and there were floor mats already there, and so I found where those mats were supposed to go and something else was already there. So, I gave up! I said "fuck it!" and just found a good looking spot for the seat covers and taged them and stuck them there. And I know, I know this just compounds the problem the next time I (or someone else) stocks that isle, but I just don't care enough anymore. No one else cares, why the fuck should I?

I feel so dirty, so low. I've never settled for good enough before, and I know I'm just compunding the existing problem.....

Please, tell me I won't burn in Retail Hell for this! [cry baby]

(yes, Retail is hell...)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:42      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me hands you a pitchfork.
[devil wand] [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:05      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I darn you to heck where you shall be tortured by the inadiquacies of others

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 08:34      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between the frustration I felt as customer after seeing that kind of thing, and the frustration I felt as an employee trying to figure out how and why to fix it, I think it all balances out. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 11:06      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you don't work at Walmart. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 11:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it...if you are conscientious 99% of the time, no-one can complain too much if you have a day off [Smile]
Everyone needs a little "fsck it, I can't be bothered" moment now and again - they stop us getting too obsessional about issues that are important to us.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Phizzy_Phil
Geek Larva
Member # 4452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 12:34      Profile for Phizzy_Phil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should never get stressed at work, but its hard not too at times, especially when its the fault of other people's incompetence.
You're a geek, design a better, easier system? who knows where it might lead you if it works well.

Posts: 26 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 14:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you MMKK, I now know whos name to curse next time I can't find something in the supermarket. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 15:25      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I would rather have as my job would be the guy who walks around, looks for things that are out of place, and then rearranges them as they're supposed to be. Then I wouldn't have a "45 box/hr" quota over my head and I could be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 15:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're under a quota, I don't see any reason for you to feel bad about running out of time to fix all the problems. If you're doing the best you can to stock things correctly, it's not your fault that quota keeps you from fixing major problems when they crop up.

I've done stocking, too. It is frustrating how often some people will take shortcuts, even though it means more problems for everyone in the long run.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leadhyena Inrandomtan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4467

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 07:44      Profile for Leadhyena Inrandomtan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowadays, it's okay. But, in the future, Manna will pick up on it and plan your termination weeks in advance.
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 10:53      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... perhaps you can change the world with stocking shelves. Misplaced seat covers could alter many things. Perhaps the flapping of the seat covers being misplaced set off a chain reaction that will lead to a storm half way around the world? Perhaps someone on the fringe of a breakdown has the thought "If I only had nice seat covers everything would work out!" So he goes to the store and CAN'T FIND ANY SEAT COVERS!!! Psychosis ensues. A chain reaction of neurotic events unfold. The seat coverless psycho goes on a rampage in which he destroys all of the Star Wars toys in the store. This leads to despair for children (and many more middle aged men) addicted to owning cheap toys and who then take their frustrations out on their families in subtle ways such as leaving the seat cover up, not washing their shaving scum down the sink, being overly flatulent at the dinner table, or drinking straight out of the bottle. Marriages fail. Society breaks apart. We all return to a Hobbesian "nasty, brutish, and short" state of nature. Then a 40km asteriod heads straight for Las Vegas, but everyone's too pissed to care. If only that guy had had his seat covers!!!!

See what you've done?!?!?! [shake head]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 13:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done, ewomack! Only you could come up with such a masterfully spun story. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 20:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I put a seat cover someplace where I thought that seat cover would look good, the proprieter of the seat slapped me.

But, we went out the following week.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture