homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Today's JoT and the Music Industry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Today's JoT and the Music Industry
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 08:50      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta admit, I am irritated with the music industry. I do no illegal CD burning. I am 100% legit (that is such a Godfather line). I spend alot of time with kids, where limewire, torrents, and CD burning run rampant. I spend alot of time trying to make a good influence on them. Regardless of what you think or feel it is stealing if you burn music that you don't own (that is copyrighted).

This is where my irritation comes in. The music industry is greedy. They constantly irritate me. I don't like the fact that there is one person who fines someone and says, "You will be famous" regardless of talent and that person is suddenly the "hottest" person to hit the music scene (can anyone say Ashley Simpson). I don't like being told who I should be listening to, and that is what the music industry is doing, they want to tell us who we should be listening to.

I have done my own little protest. I don't listen to the radio, nor do I listen to mainstream music. I learn about music the good old fashioned way. I have friends who listen to music and we share good artists with each other. If we are going on a road trip we make a playlist and share new artist with each other that way. And when I say we share good artist, I mean we tell each other about new artists and we play them for each other. I love listening to Podcasts.

Through this I have remained legal. I will continue be legit, and encourage kids to be legit. But it does get frustrating. I love music, I want kids to love music, and the very thing I love is evil.

P.S. Sorry about this long rant.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 09:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you buy CDs, you're still condoning their actions. Whether it's the Right Thing To Do(tm) or not.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 26, 2005 12:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy second hand. That's legal (for now, anyway), and the industry isn't gaining anything more than it already has from it. Plus, if you befriend the store owner/employee, you may get usefull suggestions, and maybe a preferred treatment. (Like having CDs set aside for you!) Little shops. Nothing beats them for customer service. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 12:59      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea. Sadly, we don't have any good music stores where I live. The only place out here that sells second hand music is The Wherehouse. For now I'm using iTunes, and I enjoy that.

Besides the trouble with the business side of music and the lack of talent on the mainstream arena, I still love music, and love the affects (or effects, I don't know the difference).

I don't want to become known as a complainer, just had to rant for a bit.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 15:02      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
As long as you buy CDs, you're still condoning their actions. Whether it's the Right Thing To Do(tm) or not.

But if the music you want to hear is only available through them, and not second hand (like the Disturbed album released a few days ago), then there aren't many other options. Other than go without, but who wants to do that?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 18:20      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Other than go without, but who wants to do that?
I do hun. I rarely buy anything in the stores anymore unless it has to do with a really good artist or song. I find when I do buy something I listen to one song or two and never listen to the rest because it is all garbage. It is not what you do but who you know and that is all it takes. I am stuck in the early 90's and 80's for music. I love it. They have talent and are actually speaking about something important to them not all the other bullsh1t.

For R&B, here is my policy: If it cannot be sung a Capella, do not wanna hear it.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 20:15      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, the new disturbed album is awesome. Thought I would put that in. And I do buy legit most of the time still. Music Industry is still greedy though.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 20:20      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is sometimes a struggle. I believe in doing the right thing, and honor. It may not be fun, or easy, but the right thing is to obey our nations laws. I believe there is real honor in doing what you don't really want to do, but following through anyway. Sometimes we sacrifice our values a little at a time. CD burning being one of those little sacrifices.

Some day perhaps things will be righted. The greedy music companies will either collapse under their stupidity or perhaps come to light. They dream of controlling anything with a beat, and that sadly will not happen.

Tomate
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 04:56      Profile for Tomate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
it is stealing if you burn music that you don't own (that is copyrighted).
That`s True, i know its a "Wrong Thing" but i am 0% Legit, i`ll tell you why:
I am a Alternative Music Lover, Things Like Faith and The Muse,Switchblade Simphony, but i do listen to semi Alternative Things Like, Dream Theater and Lacrimosa (its a quite unknow here).
But the only things they sell here on the major stores are mainstream(usually from USA), Samba Derivates (Ax,Pagode,and general samba) and Techno, and Emo, its very rare to find something good, and you`ll only find it on the "Rock Gallery"(a Mall for Rockers) and you must search a lot (due the Emo invasion).. .
Ah, the Prices: a normal CD in Brazil its something Like 26 Reais (or 12,4 dollars), now a imported CD, lets say, Dream Theater-Six Degrees of inner turbulence, 57 Reais! Faith and The Muse CD - Burning Season, 89R$!

--------------------
Sorry for my English, i know it sux(sometimes)...

Posts: 10 | From: So Paulo (Brazil) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 11:34      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tomate:
Ah, the Prices: a normal CD in Brazil its something Like 26 Reais (or 12,4 dollars), now a imported CD, lets say, Dream Theater-Six Degrees of inner turbulence, 57 Reais!

Bear in mind that Six Degrees is a double CD. Not that that's a sufficient justification for charging double the price (the manufacturing costs are miniscule compared to the promotion and packaging and shipping costs, and a double CD doesn't cost anything more in promotion, shelf space, etc., and only a tiny bit more in shipping due to the weight)... but it's been traditional for the music industry to gouge you twice on double CDs. So this just continues their pattern of abuse.

quote:
zboy:
It may not be fun, or easy, but the right thing is to obey our nations laws.

I strongly disagree with this statement (although I respect you for sharing your opinion honestly).

There is only one Law in the United States, and that is the Constitution. The Constitution grants certain powers to Congress and the other branches of government, and reserves all other powers for the States or the People.

One of the powers delegated to Congress is the option to create a copyright for a limited time. After that time has elapsed, the works covered by copyright enter the public domain, where they are free for all people to share. They become part of our culture and heritage. Thomas Jefferson didn't want copyright to exist at all, but he was willing to compromise on the issue.

The "content industries" (film, music, etc.) have perverted this. They have stolen the public domain from us. Works created 14 years ago would have been in the public domain under the original copyright laws (which set the length of copyright at 7 years with the option to renew it once if the author were still alive). Now, works are copyrighted indefinitely. Whenever Mickey Mouse's copyright is about to expire, Congress extends the length of copyright retroactively. Right now, we're up to 90 years for "works for hire" (copyright held by a corporation instead of a person, basically).

As far as I'm concerned, anything that was produced by a dead artist, or more than 14 years ago, is public domain. Congress stole my music. I'm stealing it back.

Now, since this is the confession booth, I'll confess that I share all of my music, not just the older stuff. For one, the bookkeeping hassle of trying to sort music into "dead artist", "14 years or older", "non-RIAA", "open content licensed", etc., is just not worth the effort. For another, if I've purchased something like Beth Quist's Internet-only album, I keep the lossless version out of the shared directory, and only put the Oggs that I created into the day-to-day listening directory (which is also what gets shared).

(The cynical observer may say I only do that to save outgoing bandwidth by sharing the much smaller Oggs... but actually, I have a higher motivation. I won't share the lossless version freely. Magnatune actually has a policy that lets me share it with up to 3 people, but then I'd have to track it, which I don't want to do. And since Magnatune already publishes MP3s of the music for free downloads, the slightly-better-quality Oggs aren't that much more desirable.)

Anyway, to get back to the original point: I have no respect for laws which have been purchased by corporations and whose only purpose is to increase corporate profits at the expensive of our own artistic heritage.

Fuck the RIAA. Fuck the MPAA. Fuck Congress, and fuck all the lawyers.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

Fuck the RIAA. Fuck the MPAA. Fuck Congress, and fuck all the lawyers.

Go get 'em gc! Sounds like your afternoon is gonna be full-up. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tomate
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 12:08      Profile for Tomate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Tomate:
[qb]Ah, the Prices: a normal CD in Brazil its something Like 26 Reais (or 12,4 dollars), now a imported CD, lets say, Dream Theater-Six Degrees of inner turbulence, 57 Reais!

Bear in mind that Six Degrees is a double CD. Not that that's a sufficient justification for charging double the price (the manufacturing costs are miniscule compared to the promotion and packaging and shipping costs, and a double CD doesn't cost anything more in promotion, shelf space, etc., and only a tiny bit more in shipping due to the weight)... but it's been traditional for the music industry to gouge you twice on double CDs. So this just continues their pattern of abuse.

Ok,thats right, but how about Faith and the Muse CD?89 Reais!
And the Nice n` old a change of seasons, 42 Reais.(i saw it for something like 11$ on e-bay)

--------------------
Sorry for my English, i know it sux(sometimes)...

Posts: 10 | From: So Paulo (Brazil) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 14:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now, works are copyrighted indefinitely. Whenever Mickey Mouse's copyright is about to expire, Congress extends the length of copyright retroactively. Right now, we're up to 90 years for "works for hire" (copyright held by a corporation instead of a person, basically).

The irony is that many of the early Disney works were of recently out-of-copyright childrens stories, with out-of-copyright music for the soundtracks.

The American publishing industry got started by doing pirate copies of british books, as US copyright didn't protect foreign works. In fact, when the law changed to protect foreign works, it explicitly only covered new foreign works, to allow those 'pirate' publishers to continue with their current catalogue.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture