homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Stop me if this sounds familar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop me if this sounds familar
Tiny415
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 23:39      Profile for Tiny415         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

So, I am here writing from parents house, because they asked me to come home to Newark to visit. While, I have been home, I have been hearing some very disturbing reports about my old stomping grounds, Wilmington. Apparently the police chief has declared that the crime problem has grown out of control and his department is ill-equipped to handle it. Upon hearing this, you would assume the mayor and the city council would do something. Oh and they have, their decision is to wait six months to see if things get better.

I want to do something, I want to protect my friends that live there. I want to protect the innocent people, that have now become the victims of these drugs lords. I even believe I have the means. But, if I do this, I have to disappear. I have to make a new identity with no relations. because if I was ever found out, I don't want my enemies to hurt my loved ones for payback. I know it sounds like a really bad comic book, but it is the truth. I guess I am typing this because I could never tell it in real life because I know the extents my friends and family would go to to stop this.

Can a superhero really exsist in this world?

--------------------
One day I was ask if I was some kind of good Samaritan, this was because of the volunteer works I have done and the kind gestures I try to do. But I am no good Samaritan, I am just a guy doing penance. I do this penance because I failed to protect my friends. I do this penance because I failed to prevent great tragedies. I do this penance because I failed to stop the hand of god. Some might say I could not stop it. I was to young, I couldnít have known, or I didnít have the power. But that makes no difference because I failed That is why I do my penance

Posts: 4 | From: College | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 04:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, there's no superhero; only ordinary people making hard decisions.

There's no need to go into hiding just for trying to stop something that shouldn't exist. It's all about how you decide to do it. I kinda remember reading about a mom in some New York ghetto who took it unto herself to secure her place of living. She made sure the criminals would know they weren't welcome anymore. Yes, she got threats and vandalism, but when other joined with her, the pressure was too much for the bad guys.

So my advice would be: don't try to be the hero, solitary and all. Talk about it with your family and friends, call a citizen meeting, bring it to the city council - just don't do it alone. If only a dozen people get their acts together and publically denounce the "bad guys," you'll be surprized about how effective it is. After all, most criminals prefer dark places. Get public light on them, and you'll see them fleeing.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiny415
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 10:09      Profile for Tiny415         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, but I can't be responsible for those people. If they get hurt it is my fault, and I can't let that happen. Sometimes, being alone is the only way to assure others don't get hurt.

I know the idea of a group meeting is good. And I wish it could help, but they have tried that and blood has been shed. It is time something happened, it is time for a change.

--------------------
One day I was ask if I was some kind of good Samaritan, this was because of the volunteer works I have done and the kind gestures I try to do. But I am no good Samaritan, I am just a guy doing penance. I do this penance because I failed to protect my friends. I do this penance because I failed to prevent great tragedies. I do this penance because I failed to stop the hand of god. Some might say I could not stop it. I was to young, I couldnít have known, or I didnít have the power. But that makes no difference because I failed That is why I do my penance

sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 13:10      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilmington, huh. Which part? I'm pretty familiar with that part of Delawhere.

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 13:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, let's see if I can still read between the lines. You've already decided you wanted to be a hero, and you believe that heroes must be alone to protect their loved ones. You want to get rid of the criminals, using violence if need be, and are only posting this to get approval, though you may not admit it yourself. (Or you're just teasing in order to get a reaction. If so, it's all right, I'll take the bait anyway.)

Allow me to take from a very popular song over here (loosely translated, sorry):

quote:

But heroes don't come free of charge
They're never wrong, they're self-reliant
Glory pays for their sacrifices,
Power soothes their torments.

That's what you want to be? Well the end of the song is:

quote:

When I understood I was making a very, very long detour
To end up sitting in a stairway
I'm not teaching you anything new
When I say one's nothing without love
To help people, one must learn to be loved.

So here's the reality check: don't be a hero; you'll only hurt the people you love by making them cry on your grave.

You say a group meeting ended up in blood. What the **** were they doing? Confronting the gangsters? There are other solutions that don't require spilling blood - anyone's blood.

You really want to help your neighbourhood? First thing to do would be to check if there is an anonymous information phone number. This allow you to call the police without having your name appear anywhere. There might even be a cash reward if it leads to an arrest. So if you see a crime being committed, call, leave as much info as you can, and let the police do their job. Also tell your neighbour to do the same. If such a thing don't exist, go to the city hall and ask for one. But going out on a "cleansing rampage" will have only one major effect: there will be one more criminal out there - you. (Oh, and probably a dead you, by the way.)

Lastly, and before this get into a full-blown rant, I must say: let the people around you decide wether or not they want to take responsibility for their own lives. Deciding all by yourself to let them aside might seem "heroic," but it only means you don't trust them to decide for their lives/security. If _you_ can, why can't they? Please stop being silly and be an adult: admit you are no superhero and that you can't accomplish anything alone.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 17:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with vigilantes is, they often get it wrong.

Recent case of a serial-killer in (IIRC) New York, who was killing arabs in revenge for S11. The cops didn't know this until he was caught, as so few of his victims actually were arabs, he'd been killing Indians, Greeks, pretty-much anyone with a foreign accent and a darkish complexion.

(of course, it should go without saying that it would still be wrong if he had actually been killing arabs)

That's why we have trials, and lawyers, and all that 'red tape', to protect the innocent. It may be annoying at times, but it's the best anyone has come up with so far.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tiny415
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 23:45      Profile for Tiny415         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever seen a drug deal go down in the middle of the day? Just see a car stop, flash it lights and see a runner comes out. Have you ever seen a police cruiser just continue by an attack because they are to scared to do anything?

No probably not, but I have. I saw it all the time when I worked at the community center, when went into my high school, and when I would leave to tutor at a local elementary school. Honestly, I can't blame the police either because they have seen it first hand, the firepower these people have at their disposal. They want to be able to help, but they can't because the don't have the right equipment. Did you miss that part in my original post, the police are ill-equipped. to handle the problem. But myself, and a few friends, have been working on a prototype suit since high school. Something we based off of other body armors, including project grizzly. It started out just being a bunch of geeks in high school (it was a special geek school) wanting to re-create iron man. But it has taken on a much more serious tone, because we lost someone, someone who meant alot to us.

This is not about glory, or praise. This is about making a difference in people's lives, about giving hope, and saving people from heartache. You asked me if I trust people, and I do. But when it comes down to it, if I have the means to protect the people I love, I will. This is not about them taking responsiblity or me trying to circumvent them, this is about using the tools availible to me to make a difference. I have no plans on killing people, nor would I ever cross that line. Because everyone is someones son, daught, father, mother, sister, or brother. But sometimes you need to be able to inspire both fear in those you persue and pride in those you protect. Because that is the main problem, the neighborhoods have been demoralized. They tried to unit against this evil and they were dealt a serious blow. People were killed, just for standing up for themselves. So people are scared, for thier homes, for their families and for themselves. But they need to see it does not have to be this way.

Lastly, your right. If I did this, I might be killed. But, if I saved one person, would that be an even trade. I'd say so, and your right again because my friends and family would greive. But, the difference is they would understand, that I did this to help others. That is what my whole life has always been about, and that is what my death will most likely be about too.

Also you are right, I would be a criminal. I would have to face the charges brought against me and I would. We live in a would ruled by laws, and those that break them must be punished, even if they did it for a just cause.

Oh one more thing, I am no superhero. I am a man who wants to make a difference. And, yes a single person can make a difference.

--------------------

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 00:14      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, homemade FLAK gear will not inspire anything but ridicule in a motivated drug dealer. [Roll Eyes]

You will likely die without having made any difference whatsoever. And your local police ignore these things, probably influenced by money as well as fear.

I would suggest taking pictures of the lack of law enforcement, and going to the state police with these and asking that something be done. Don't take the risk of dying in vain. [shake head]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 00:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by n4dmx:
I would suggest taking pictures of the lack of law enforcement, and going to the state police with these and asking that something be done.

Or, for a truly geeky solution, take a bunch of photos of their nefarious deeds, put them up on a web site, then send a press release to the local news outlets. If the media run with the story, the authorities will be forced to act, and the bad guys will quickly learn that it's best to conduct their businesses elsewhere.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 00:48      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murder is a cowardly act, no matter the reasoning behind it.

The media idea is not only safer but a far more honourable and awe-inspiring thing to do.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 07:10      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, n4dmx, jordanv, thanks for the help.

Tiny, you say:

quote:
I have no plans on killing people, nor would I ever cross that line.
Yet you talk of a body armour as if it could restore the balance of powers. So, what are you going to do with it? Parade in the street, telling the bad guys "Hey, you can't kill me now!"? Yet you admit doing what you have in mind would make you a criminal. Conclusion? You actually intend to go out shooting those bad guys. Sorry, but this shows the extent of your hypocrisy. BTW, I don't mind: you're being hypocritical to yourself first and foremost.

If you are so sure this body armour can make a difference, go to the police and offer them to freely develop it along with them, as long as you keep the commercial rights to it. Then the police would have the equipment they need (or so you say) and it won't be up to an untrained (or even trained!) civilian to straighten things up.

If really the police is corrupted as n4dmx assumes (and probably the mayor too!), then there are other ways. Media are indeed a great solution.

FBI could be, too. Go tell them the mayor/police have been bought with criminal money. They'll launch an investigation. At worse, if it proves wrong, you'll get a conviction for wrongfully raising an accusation or whatever you call that, but having a FBI investigation going on will be a much better deterrent than a single guy in a hand-made body armour. (Anyway, you're already willing to be a criminal yourself, aren't you?)

An other way would be to petition your governor to send the troopers.

Now, with all those options, tell me again you don't want to be a hero.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, but I feel compelled to remind you this saying: "A dead hero is worth nothing; a living coward can still make a difference."

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted March 01, 2005 16:22      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or does this sound like another Taco in the making?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 18:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who wants to be a superhero must be at least a little batty

--------------------

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 00:46      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps just grizzled. [Razz]

-

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 11:03      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Is it just me, or does this sound like another Taco in the making?

Hey! I resemble that remark.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 11:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taco: did you ever have that 'procedure'?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 11:40      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got home Monday. I've been in ben since then. The Opsite Tegraderm stuff is coming off in 3 days. The procedure went really well. It's just a matter of waiting 6 weeks now. They've got me on some pretty killer pain meds right now, an Oxycontin 10mg every 12 hours, and an Oxycodone 5mg as needed every 3-4 hours. The Oxycontin runs out tomorrow night, and then it's up to the Oxycodone, although I'm going to employ some 'herbal suppliments' in its place anyway.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 11:49      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiny415,

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are serious and not just trying to pull our collective legs. If your body armor works like it's designed, and you don't plan to kill anyone, what are you going to do with the criminals once you've subdued them? Turn them over to police, and they could get out on technicallities. If you don't hand them over and are just trying to scare them, then all they will do is find a way to tail you until they find out who you are. Once they do that, not only will you be a sitting duck when you aren't wearing the armor, they also will find out who your friends are, and the people you are trying to protect will be in even more danger. You also will be in danger from the police because they will start to track you down the moment they know a vigilante is in the area.

My father is a retired state police officer. He has told me some stories, and sometimes it takes a lot of careful teamwork and planning to put the bad guys away. Especially the type you are describing. You can't base crimefighting on comic books or shows like law and order because the real world doesn't work that way.

Oh and on the off chance you are pulling our legs, you really ought to think about writing a book. It has the potential to be an intriguing piece of fiction.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 03, 2005 18:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh oh oh oh oh

This thread is just too weird...

I started out thinking it was a kind of really silly gag and didn't post, then I began to think it was serious and daredn't post for fear of making things worse... Now i just don't know and have to post before my batpants explode my nether regions for "bzzzt 'Hesitation'" anyone who has never heard (of) Just A Minute, may ignore the last reference...

Seriously though... What are we talking about here? You have built some sort of home made "Robocop" suit that you think will help you bully the bad guys into submission - or you have a gun and ammo and a few "pumped" pals and a burning desire to "do the right thing"(TM) by "avenging" your loss on some bad guy's asses?

Or just some sad teenage fantasy that you (and only you) can make the world right... "If only they could see the brilliance of my ideas" ("and they called me maaaaaad!!!! They're all fooooooolssss......")

BTW - despite the (attempted) humour I am NOT mocking you... I just want you to step back a pace and take a "Reality Check"

Is anything you think you might want to consider doing even vaguely ILLEGAL? If so "Go directly to Jail, do not collect.... etc."

Is anything you might consider doing likely to be "dangerously foolhardy", or otherwise likley to lead to injury or death.." (Oh sorry, your super armour will prevent that...) DON'T go there.. The bad guys will laugh and the court will commit you for 10+ as dangerously unbalanced...

Life stinks, shit happens, take it how you will... You will achieve nothing as a "have-a-go local vigilante" except your own incarceration.

YOU can't fix it. Community solidarity in unison/cohorts with law enforcement, local government and possibly other agencies might be able to - in time...

Get a grip on reality and deal with that...

Hey - I'm not knocking the dream - just telling you it'll only get YOU into deeper trouble...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture