homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I confess, I want bootleg Star Wars!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I confess, I want bootleg Star Wars!!!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 21, 2004 23:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I confess.

I want those pirated versions of Star Wars. You know the ones, the ORIGINAL versions of the Trilogy. Ones made from the Laserdisks, ones without Hayden Christensen's Ghost, or Greedo shooting first, or that Jabba the Hut in the hanger scene. I don't need no fancy robots or extra scenes or filler outside the windows of Cloud City... just give me the movies I saw when I was a kid!!!

OH, and btw, I liked the ORIGINAL explosion of the Death Star better. [Mad]

I even went so far as to google for these pirate treasures, and came up with this bootleg review site. There was drool all over my desk as I read about these tantilizing Asian Delights. [Geek]

Does anyone have these precious things? Does anyone know of them? Is this some secret Star Wars Cult that I am not cool enough to join? Am I a bad person for lusting after them? [Razz]

It gets worse folks.

I went out and bought the official Star Wars Trilogy DVDs today.

I am a sucker for punishment.

*sigh* [ohwell]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 23:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the THX widescreen LaserDiscs, but I don't have a DV camera or converter to get them onto DVD [Frown] I need to find someone with a DV camera I can borrow. Well that and more hard drive space!

I need a Dual layer DVD burner now or I'll end up with multi-discs for each film like the LaserDiscs if I want to maintain the best quality.

Please note I am not offering to bootleg these as that is illegal!

I will be working inside a Best Buy all weekend, I think I will be able to resist picking up the DVDs.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 23:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Is this some secret Star Wars Cult that I am not cool enough to join?

<black-beret-and-goatee-and-light-sabre>
Yes.
</black-beret-and-goatee-and-light-sabre>

<obi-wan>
You cannot win George, if you edit me out, my bootleg self will become far more numerous than you can imagine
</obi-wan>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 06:00      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That illistration of princess leia is mysteriously hot-looking

I'm kind of stuck buying a legit copy, Like that time I wanted the original version of "the italian Job"

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 07:14      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I have the THX widescreen LaserDiscs, but I don't have a DV camera or converter to get them onto DVD [Frown] I need to find someone with a DV camera I can borrow. Well that and more hard drive space!

I need a Dual layer DVD burner now or I'll end up with multi-discs for each film like the LaserDiscs if I want to maintain the best quality.

Actually, a cam or telecine converter really won't do the conversion justice. What you really need is an AV bridge, like the Dazzle or Pyro, that has Audio, Video (and usually S-Video - superior to composite) inputs and FireWire (1394) out.

That said, I've never been able to make a capture from analog to DVD that looks as clean as a commercial DVD.

=DB

...of course a dual-layer, blueray Superdrive in a PowerBook G5 would help make a better DVD...

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 09:21      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
quote:

Actually, a cam or telecine converter really won't do the conversion justice. What you really need is an AV bridge, like the Dazzle or Pyro, that has Audio, Video (and usually S-Video - superior to composite) inputs and FireWire (1394) out.

That said, I've never been able to make a capture from analog to DVD that looks as clean as a commercial DVD.

=DB

...of course a dual-layer, blueray Superdrive in a PowerBook G5 would help make a better DVD...

A DV cam has A/V inputs, I was not going to point a camera at my TV. And by converter I meant such a device as the Dazzle. At this point I just can't justify the cost of such a purchase.
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 11:54      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arrrrrh, i have me sources, if you be needin' anytin'

[Wink]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 12:11      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're copying your own copies of the VHS onto DVD for your own use, it's not bootlegging, is it? [Wink]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 12:40      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
If you're copying your own copies of the VHS onto DVD for your own use, it's not bootlegging, is it? [Wink]

Nope, personal backups are legal. Same thing as putting Albums & CDs on tapes back in the day to listen to them on a walkman. And today your iPod.
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 15:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The legality of backing up depends on your locality. It's technically illegal in Australia and the UK.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 15:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
The legality of backing up depends on your locality. It's technically illegal in Australia and the UK.

Unless it's software. Defining a SW DVD as software might be a bit of a stretch, though.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 16:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

Unless it's software. Defining a SW DVD as software might be a bit of a stretch, though.
But a DVD is a special form of software, is it not? I mean, it has a menuing system, and based on various inputs, it will output different things. The data is stored digitally, and uh...I forget where I'm going with this.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Asoftware

Some of that stuff could surely be construed in such a manner [Razz] .

It's definitely time for me to eat, and get bloody spyware/virus infected computers out of my mind...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 21:51      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm this guy has done all the converting, since I own the LaserDiscs this could be considered legal backup right?

Original Trilogy on DVD

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 22:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd consider it legal backup, not sure if US copyright law supports me or not.

My SW trilogy set should be in my letterbox when I get home, I'll have to give it a spin tonight. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 01:49      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By using the software analogy, can the following not be considered true...

I buy a piece of software say an upgrade from Mac OS 8.1 to Mac OS X.1.
I find it is crap and thus downgrade to OS 9.2. A piece of software that I never truly had.

Can we not use the same arguement for the DVDs? I buy the official trilogy on DVD but 'install' an older version in my DVD player when I want to watch it.

Not sure if that will stand up in court or not though.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 02:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But in Bibo's case, he owns the laser discs which the "unofficial" DVDs were ripped from. Thus it's pretty much a format shift (although there may be extra copyrighted material on the DVD that wasn't on the LD, I guess).

Actually, he's probably on legally shaky ground, given that the dot.com which were allowing you to download mp3s once you inserted a CD with a matching checksum to the original went under due to legal contest. Morally, well, that's a different story.

As for those of us trilogy DVD owners, your argument sounds pretty much right on the money, as it's a "downgrade", in a sense.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 08:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A DV cam has A/V inputs, I was not going to point a camera at my TV.

Actually, only really good (read: expensive) DV cameras have A/V inputs, most, like my Samsung SCD23, have out but not in. [ohwell]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabus
Newbie Larva
Member # 2984

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 22:50      Profile for Macabus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a year ago, I was working with my brother to convert his LD copy of the trilogy to DVD. It was a project that never got finished-but now(after seeing the DVD's lucas made), I think I just might end up finishing that project.
Posts: 5 | From: Right now, not so far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture