homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Tales of Love and Romance in Ancient and Modern Greece

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tales of Love and Romance in Ancient and Modern Greece
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 08:50      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent the following e-mail off today

Hello M****

77 K****** S******, Athens *** tel **.**.**

In the mid 60s was this your address? Do you recognise my name?

I apologise for putting O***** S***** in the subject line, but I stumbled across your e-mail address online and so assumed that you must get a lot of spam, and I hoped to get you to read the first line of this e-mail. If that was never your address and you are a different M* V*, I apologise for taking up your time, but you may read on if you wish to know why I have sent this e-mail. I promise that I am not trying to sell anything or to lure you into some crackpot religion!

A long long time ago and far away, (well, in the summer of 1966 actually), I was a shy wide eyed 16 year old boy who went abroad independently of his parents for the first time. This boy travelled to Greece, and everything necessary to make this the holiday of a lifetime happened to him. He visited many magical and beautiful places, and met many wonderful people, who treated him with immense and quite humbling hospitality. The soundtrack of this holiday was also some of the finest pop music of the 20th century, "Sunny Afternoon", "Mustang Sally", and "California Dreaming" to name but three of many songs that even now can instantly transport him back to that summer. Lastly and most importantly, he fell in love for the first time, with a wonderful Greek girl, of quite dazzling beauty. She was immensely sweet, so kind intelligent, and thoughtful, with beautiful silky long hair and a thrilling slightly husky voice. He probably only spent a matter of days with her, but for him time stopped then and measurements of days weeks or years were simply immaterial. A cynic might observe that he boarded his flight home long before they could discover any of the character traits that might irritate each other, but I prefer to think that the person that love sees, is the true character, regardless of whether or not the mundane practicalities of life proves them compatible later on. After he returned home they corresponded, but of course with time that passionate first love fizzled out. Ahhh.... careless love....

In the years that followed, he did not return to Greece, from sadness about the coup and hostility to the resulting colonels' regime, which also threatened his family's friends there, and later perhaps also because he feared a disappointment after that special summer there. In 1981 he met another wonderful girl (called Deb) and knew instantly that he would marry her. She took a little more persuading but by the next year we were married. In 1986 my daughter Polly was born, in 1988 my son Bill, and lastly in 1997 an unplanned surprise - my son Harry. We also started taking holidays in Greece again, and to my delight I found that it was still a romantic and magical place. Indeed Greece is the only country that I still find just as exciting as when I first visited it with my parents in the early 60s. My love of Greece also seems to have infected my daughter Polly, who is now as big a hellenophile as myself. Last year we took an Easter holiday near Napflio and my daughter then just 17 fell deeply in love with a handsome rather dashing fellow called Kostas, who is also "a nice Greek boy"! Is history repeating itself? However the advent of e-mail, and instant messaging has meant that they have found it easier to keep their relationship going, and he has also visited her twice here in Brighton in the last year. When we returned there for our summer holiday this year, they were still as happy as ever. So now 38 years on, and very happily married for some 22 years, I find myself in my house in Brighton with my darling wife, children, and four cats, having just heard that my lovely daughter has been accepted for a university place to study French and yes, Modern Greek, while I sort through the photos of this last holiday, and on the television there are inspiring stories of personal triumph and tragedy from the Athens Olympics. I find myself wondering about those old times, about what has befallen those I met in Greece so many years ago. I google some of their names and to my huge surprise and great shock, the name of that wonderful girl returns a work telephone number and an e-mail address. Eventually my curiosity overcomes my jangling nerves. I would really love to find out what happened to her.

So M*, if I am talking to you, what adventures have happened to you in the last 38 years? Do you remember me at all, and if so do you think kindly of me? I hope so very very much that life has been good to you, and that you are very much loved. Do you have children, grandchildren, husbands lovers, and how many of each? Ohhh....just how are you?

If you are curious too, I have posted pictures from my last two Greek holidays here.

http://homepage.mac.com/jamesrs/PhotoAlbum13.html

but be warned, troublesome old Time has made his mischief with me, turning me from a skinny gawky 16 year old into a grey bald overweight man of 54. How disgusting! You may be able to recognise more of the old me in my alarmingly beautiful daughter Polly!

I do hope that you can and will reply, but I quite understand if you don't wish too. If you cannot, I hope you know from what I have already written that there is a corner of my heart that is now, and always will be yours.

With fond wishes

I wonder if I will get a reply? More immediately, I also will have to show that e-mail to Mrs Callipygous this evening - I wonder if she will remove my gonads?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 08:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were me your gonads would stay intact. I hope you get a response. I know there are a few people from my past I would love to hear from again. Good luck!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 10:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've googled for people from my past. Never ex-gfs, as I know where/how they are if I care to. But I've googled for old friends mostly. Always came up short. It's too bad, too.

Moderately scary fact I just realised. This happened when he was 16, in 1966.

In 1966, my mother was 3. [Eek!]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2004 11:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous

If she knows about the pastromance and is the understanding sort you will probably get to keep all your stock pieces.

Good luck. I hope the message went to who it should.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 25, 2004 08:54      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this letter were the start of a movie, I would probably go see it some weekend afternoon at the local art-house theater.

I like the part about history repeating itself, but things being different this time around. We can know what happened last time, but we can't know how things are going to unfold this time.

Wow! I sort of expect fathers to think their daughters are pretty, but when you use the phrase "alarmingly beautiful", you are not exaggerating! [Smile]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 10:32      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful letter and pics, Cally!!! I wanna go there, now! How cheap/easy is it from the UK?? That may be my 2nd trip after **shhh** Paris.

Anyway, hope your gonads are intact. If it were me, they might not be, but I'm a very jealous Taurus.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 15:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're a braver man than I, Cal.

I doubt very much if I'd have the courage to write a letter like that to my teen sweetheart, and I definitely wouldn't be game to show it to Mrs Druid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 16:01      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be quite honest I feel rather foolish sending it off. 38 years later there has got to be at least an element of that song from Gigi "Ah yes I remember it well..."

But there is still some truth in what I said, so on the whole I do not regret it. If like me your first love is a good experience, that person puts a brand on you that time does not erase. And I also wanted to express my profound gratitude to her for this magical time in my life.

But I will be exceptionally surprised if she replies. If received that, I would be afraid the sender was more than slightly unhinged. Ahhh well....

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2004 16:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes and Snoops do go to Greece. Easyjet flights to Athens are not that expensive. I am of course hugely biased having adored it since the age of 12 or so, but I believe that anyone with an ounce of poetry in their soul cannot fail to be blown away by this beautiful country and the great people there. Go out of season at Easter for the best, and truest experience. The orthodox church celebrates Easter at a different time to other churches, so be aware of this, but if you see Easter in Greece you will never forget it.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 25, 2004 21:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears]

oh gosh darn Calli, you made me feel all mushy [hearts]

what a sweet and wonderful email.

[Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 04:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple more snippets from our last holiday.

Kostas told Polly this joke with a teasing disclaimer "I don't like this joke, it is blasphemous, but you may find it interesting"

How do we know Jesus is Greek?

1. He spends all his time with his 12 friends.

2. He lived at home until he was 30

& 3. He thinks his mother is a virgin.

Before we left for Greece my wife bought Polly a simply beautiful (and heavily discounted!) dress. She wore it one night to impress him and when he saw her he said "I feel as you do when you are in a smart restaurant, and you are brought a plate of food that looks so beautiful, that you don't want to eat it." What a nice compliment!

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 06:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for having my mind in the gutter, but if a guy said that about my 17-year-old daughter, I'd beat his ass.

Then again, I'm messed up. [Big Grin]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 09:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Forgive me for having my mind in the gutter, but if a guy said that about my 17-year-old daughter, I'd beat his ass.

Then again, I'm messed up. [Big Grin]

I thought you only beat women? [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 10:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pretty sure someone here would see that crude innuendo, but it wasn't there in the way he said it, or why would my daughter have relayed the story to me? In any case one of the things she likes about him is that he behaves like a gentleman, very old fashioned I know, but girls seem to like that chivalrous stuff.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2004 14:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I was pretty sure someone here would see that crude innuendo, but it wasn't there in the way he said it, or why would my daughter have relayed the story to me? In any case one of the things she likes about him is that he behaves like a gentleman, very old fashioned I know, but girls seem to like that chivalrous stuff.

Yea, I didn't think for a second he'd actually meant it in the way someone like me might take it. Just being a smartass as per usual. [Big Grin]
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted August 28, 2004 20:46      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utter, way coolness. I'm thinking of Daniel Day-Lewis in "The Age of Innocence," staying down on the park bench in Paris ...

in 1966, I was three... ;)that makes me as old as drunkenewfiemidget's mom, eh!

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture