homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Should I even bother? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Should I even bother?
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 15:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather sit alone with my back to the crowd than be part of a crowd that is doing nothing but trash talk.

Really it hasn't been that bad. Most of the people here are the same nice people they have always been, but a few of the more vocal members are making things uncomfortable. I know it's uncomfortable for more than just me, but I am the only one I can speak for. I didn't do any of this lying or manipulating, neither did GM, but we are both getting yelled at for saying that we shouldn't deal with it this way.

It's possible I'm being childish about the situation. I won't really know that until I've had a chance to reflect. For now I am already more emotionally involved than I wanted to be. There was a time when I considered you all my friends. Now I think my feelings are more like Xanthine's (pre-dragon). I have met exactly two of you in person. The rest of you could be serial killers for all I know. So I will take everything at face value until proven otherwise and not overly stress.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 15:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

Only misguided chick around here? Well, move over! [Wink]

Don't forget Loretta !
A 190 cm tall chick wih a beard is about as misguided as they get.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 15:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I'd rather sit alone with my back to the crowd than be part of a crowd that is doing nothing but trash talk.

I'm not talking about trash talking - I'm talking about "so don't look at the posts if you don't like them." The problem is that you get the idea, "well, someone *might* have said something interesting in there" - after all, many a thread have taken better, more amusing twists, and I certainly wouldn't want to miss seeing a fake illness thread turning into one about sheep-fscking or something [Big Grin] . And if the only threads that really garner attention over periods of time are these threads, some of us probably bite the bullet and take a peek. I guess, against better judgement, and at the risk of being a hypocrite, it's still easy to say, "but this thread is utter crap!" and be disgruntled about it. There have been times I've looked at the forums, and thought to myself - "why am I even bothering to look today, it's just crap about someone's fake story." I remember trying to get that thread hijacked pretty quickly (the doctor one, anyway), with the intent of making it utterly stupid in the eyes of anyone who might believe it, but she actually took my off-the-wall post and agreed to it, garnering some people's support, and sucking the life into her little world. This stuff frustrates me.

/me returns to playing with his new toy: an Arithma Addiator... [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 15:26      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, PB, if you felt attacked in any way. I simply found it absurd to suggest deleting/locking this thread because a few people didn't like it. Perhaps I was a bit too sarcastic.

You can't tell me this is the worst thread EVER in the history of GC, and Snaggy has not felt the need to do this before(or has he? I can't remember)

If you find this thread offensive, then please take your own advice, and ignore it. It's a lot easier to ignore one thread than every single one L had posted in(which was usually ALL of the most current topics), as Dman has pointed out.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted April 06, 2004 19:25      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Zorro has lied about knocking a girl up (granted at the end of the post he admitted it was joke), he used to often make posts just for the reaction or to get some attention, he has raised his fair share of threads rated G to PG, ones rated PG to R; Are we to pull out his fingernails and feed him to sharks?

dang GM, I was hoping everyone would forget about My old jokes so I could announce I was gay and see what the reactions would be. Now if I post that they will know I'm joking, or am I [Wink]
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted April 06, 2004 19:29      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
GM, if you're going to try to make a point, at least compare apples to apples.

-Not ONCE did spungo EVER ask for advice or sympathy.
-Not ONCE did he ever claim to be telling the truth-and anyone with half a brain knew he was joking.
-Unless there are some people on this forum with real sheep issues, he was not making a mockery of situations and illnesses that others do suffer through.

Big difference.

Wow, I made Zorro look worse than the spunge, and no one stands up for him? Sorry, Z, no one loves you... [Razz]

don't worry GM, I don't believe in love [Razz] . I consider looking worse than Spungy a compliment, he is My hero after all [Wink]

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted April 06, 2004 19:34      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
should i point out the irony in the above post?

I think not.

As for punishing Zorro, no one has stepped up to his defense because we all know he'd like it. [Razz]
as long as after the spankigs there was oral sex I'd gladly pay for My sins [Razz] . Speaking of spankings, I just got My new paddle from Wicked Licks. I am on a first name basis with the Owner as We have met several times at the yearly camping event ITW. I even helped work in His booth last year. I can't wait to break in the new paddle, and there a special girl in Canada that want's to be the first. [Razz]
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 19:38      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Zorro has lied about knocking a girl up (granted at the end of the post he admitted it was joke), he used to often make posts just for the reaction or to get some attention, he has raised his fair share of threads rated G to PG, ones rated PG to R; Are we to pull out his fingernails and feed him to sharks?

It's very simple, GM - a troll is someone who posts for their own amusement - and no one else's. Seeing as a great many people have been amused by Zorro over the years I really fail to see how you can compare him to LM/AR.
thanks Spungy, it means alot coming from you [Happytears] , I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy [Big Grin]
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 20:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god, did Zorro just bow down??

/me suddenly has renewed respect for spungo

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2004 21:01      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Zorro actually does the things he talks about! [Eek!]
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 03:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am saddened by Skylar's post, and that Peebs is feeling got at too. They are some of my very favourite people here and I miss Sky's contributions. However her post is too accurate to ignore completely, though I have doubts as to whether LM would have changed her ways as the result of a PM. It is true however that arguments here get bad tempered more often than they used to, and more personal insults fly than used to be the case, which is a shame.

The one thing that marks this place out from other forums is its tolerant and open nature, and there are few, if any, other places on the web, where strong or highly individual opinions can be expressed without provoking a flame war. We must value this. I will try to be less crabby in the future! On the bright side this is still a better place than most. To take a current example the thread about the war on terror, though it regrettably contains a few personal insults, is on the whole quite well argued (and from some "unusual" viewpoints too), and not without humour, and this must be one of the most emotive and divisive issues now.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 04:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - I've had enough of this.

I really don't understand why people get upset and threaten to leave just 'cos a few voices get raised. As far as I'm concerned that's when stuff gets interesting.

About this Lumina crap - I'm sorry if she is in any way upset, but I totally fail to see that anyone here contradicted the good nature of this place in trying to stop her lies. The only reason that why I didn't say anything earlier was because (a) I'm chickenshit, and (b) I never bothered to read her posts - in general I don't waste my time on a lot of the kiddie crap that goes on here (and for a while it looked like the kiddie crap was taking over!)

So, for those who thought LM was mistreated and that certain individuals went against whatever unspoken ethos this place practices - just think - if LM and her bullshit were tolerated indefinitely, where would it stop? What would be in place to prevent this site from turning into obnoxious pre-teen newbie Hell, in the way countless other forums have gone?

I think those who stand up against trolls - and however you look at it LM is a grade A troll - should be applauded, for it is they who have kept this place sensible and a-hole-free. Without the ass-kickers here, the cowards like me would have just wrung their hands and thought "Oh, isn't it a shame - GC used to be so entertaining / thoughtful / fun".

The bottom line - if you want a quality forum to endure - you just might have to fight for it, and those of us without the stomach for a fight shouldn't sit back and moan at those who do.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 07:15      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't commented on this whole thing because, honestly, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I wasn't here for LM's first incarnation and didn't really get too involved in her posts the second time around.

I understand that she upset some people and I will certainly not attempt to refuse them their right to be upset. But she's gone now, and it seems [to me at least] her departure is causing more upset than her presence ever did. Just my $0.015.

That being said, I think there's something in the air these days because I'm observing the same kind of in-fighting and squabbling on one of my Linux mailing lists.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 07:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called spring.

Relax everybody. The change of seasons is as inevitable as taxes. No need to get so excited.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 19:48      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
My god, did Zorro just bow down??

/me suddenly has renewed respect for spungo

yes, but I didn't do it sheepishly [Wink]
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted April 07, 2004 19:54      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Yeah, but Zorro actually does the things he talks about! [Eek!]

This year is going to be fun, I'm going to help do a pony play demo. Don't worry, it's not a real pony. It's just a girl wearing pony-like gear. I get to be the trainer. The best part is when I make her pull the cart while swatting her butt with the English riding whip. There are pics of one such pony in the ITW gallery. I'll be posting the link as soon as I register.

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 06:14      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
[QUOTE]...I'm going to help do a pony play demo. Don't worry, it's not a real pony. It's just a girl wearing pony-like gear. ...

Gives a whole new meaning to My Little Pony... their tales came out of their butts too.
Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 11:54      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Don't forget Loretta !
A 190 cm tall chick wih a beard is about as misguided as they get.

a chick with a beard?
it gives you something to hang on to i guess (apologies to blackadder)

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2004 12:16      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
Gives a whole new meaning to My Little Pony... their tales came out of their butts too.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture