homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Save me from crazy old cat ladydom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Save me from crazy old cat ladydom
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 21:26      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I saw Azalies' profile a few months back and thought to myself.. I must do one of those.. but kept procrastinating.. then this weekend past I found myself comtemplating getting a second cat, and sudden thoughts of myself as a crazy old cat lady started flashing through my head - so here I am [Smile]

29 yr old girl living in Sydney (Australia, not Canada). Born in Hong Kong but moved to Sydney when I was 4, so perfect English and speak Cantonese/Mandarin as well as a bit of Japanese. Love to travel, have worked in the US and UK for a year each. Work in IT currently as a web analyst but have been promoted and will be moving over to the dark side (marketing) at the end of the month *mwahaha*

13 random facts about me:
1. I own a manic cat called Chuckles. Very affectionate but has a fear of socks. You have been warned.
2. Am a Nintendo girl (and reluctant Sony customer due to occasional sterling titles such as Katamari Damancy). Otherwise, it's Animal Crossing all the way).
3. I am a domestic goddess (I like to cook at least, but not so much the cleaning bit). I make amazing roasts, risottos and pastas. Now that I've mastered mains I'm starting on desserts next year, so would like a long suffering boyfriend to try out new cakes and bakes on.
4. I have an amazing job that I adore. I can't wait to jump out of bed most Monday mornings.
5. I love trying out new restuarants so you better be a reasonably adventurous diner. Favorite foods: penne granchi, pad thai, vietnamese pho, seafood platters.
6. I spend a LOT of time on the net. Like 80 hours or so a week due to work. I'm hoping to have someone to do stuff with (and to [Razz] ) as an alternative to working.
7. I love shopping, but more for books, gadgets and food than clothes. I do have a handbag fetish though ;p
8. Apart from being a Ninty girl I also am a PC gamer. Love strategy and RPGs, right now am spending horrendous amounts of time on World of Warcraft.
9. Not terribly sporty, but love lazy sunday afternoon swims or drives in the country. As I mentioned I like to travel and I go on holidays a few times a year. A companion would be nice [Wink]
10. Apart from being very geeky I also love going to the opera, plays and movies. 11. I'm not big on gigs and nightclubs (it's a bit too smoky and loud for me). I prefer dinner with a few close friends and a dvd/lan party/games night.
12. Not a smoker, grambler, social drinker, no drugs, never married, no kids (if you don't count the cat [Razz] )
13. 5"6, long black straight hair, brown eyes and contacts.

So that's a bit (ok, actually a lot!) about me. What I am looking for: A gentleman 26 - 36 who is a bit of a geek, intelligent, loving and looking for a long term relationship with the right girl. He must love to travel, eat and just be a generally happy sort of person. What I have to offer: utterly charming, romantic, intelligent and good humored girly girl, will play warcraft with you til 3 in the morning or understand if you need just 30 minutes more to get to a save point. As a bonus, I have a reasonably sane family that I have a good relationship with [Wink]

I realize that this is an American/Canadian forum and I am writing from Sydney. But I'm open to chatting, getting to know and meeting (safely) people who I click with - though my potential mate if overseas or interstate should be at least willing to consider the possibility of relocation to Sydney.

Further to Azalie's post, I realize that it's not enough to just have posted.. so please consider this the first of (hopefully) many posts as I get to know you all on forum and in IRC. Just wanted to say I AM SINGLE!!! - so if the above perks your interest please send me a message or look for me on WoW (Nagrand: Alistria (Alliance) or Safya (Horde)).

Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 03:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sydneygirl __________________________ Well nice that you joined the forums, I am one of the resident old farts. Taken and have been for twenty years. Non of the kids or grand kids fall in your target ages.

So welcome to the forums there are many discussions that take place, the Geo/political are usually the loudest with name calling. You will figure out who the hot heads are in time.

I do wish that you get in on many of the discussions because diversity helps. There are quite a few down under folks here.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 12:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, Syd, and welcome! Help yourself to the coffee & bagels. I'm told this is one of the few places you can actually get a bagel down under, so enjoy ;-)

I'm afraid I only meet some of your criteria, but that doesn't mean I, and others, don't want to get to know you. Fair warning, some stargazing Jedi fellow from down under may ask for "scientific evidence" of your height, eye color, etc. [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 13:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Syd, I'm far too old, and taken, but it's nice to see another geek from my time zone here. (even if you are from that den of sin up north [Wink] )

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 15:31      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave World of Warcraft, start playing Lord of The Rings Online [Wink] Much more fun.

So says the NE Rogue 70 now Minstrel 50.

Anyway, buy your defined profile I am too old [Razz] and also in the wrong time zone.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 20:22      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey sydneygirl - Well, I've been a member for a while but only recently have been posting enough to be a part of the community. I hope.

Let's see, about the right age, but a resident of the good ol' US of A and taken by a very wonderful woman who also loves to cook. We've been on a really great low fat/fat free diet for a couple of years, which is good for me as my family leans toward the heavy side. Also, it means that I can indulge my rather nasty sweet tooth to nearly no end.

Oh yeah, two cats on our end, no kids, and no plans. Unless you count the two cats (which we do). I wish you the best of luck on finding the right guy. As it is true that the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach, you shouldn't have too much of a hard time (especially as you are now going for desserts).

Welcome, make yourself at home and enjoy. The people here are quite friendly.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 20:27      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Fair warning, some stargazing Jedi fellow from down under may ask for "scientific evidence" of your height, eye color, etc. [Wink]

Who also happens to be on the Nagrand server as an Alliance paladin...

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 09:39      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
Who also happens to be on the Nagrand server as an Alliance paladin...

And this is where you find out Sydneygirl is also on the Nagrand server, on the Horde side, and she regularly hands you your a$$ in PvP [Razz] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

P.S. Come on a Pally, have some dignity man [shake head]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 09:45      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say I ever recall a Safya kicking my arse, but there was this one Horde shadow priestess who kept targeting me while I was part of a raid on Crossroads. As a Ret pally at the time I swore vengeance, but I respecced to Holy when I hit 70 and I've mellowed out some.

Oh how I wish the servers would come up right now so I can see how the new 2.3 changes affect me. [shake head]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 19:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums:

I live in Canada and are to young (wow there are a lot of old farts on this forum [Smile] ) but I do have a child (9 year old female cat) who knows how to manipulate me to well.

But I'm definetly going to go to Australia one of these days for vacation at least.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 15:57      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for all your replies [Wink]

@Astronomer Jedi: Alas Safya is still only a level 8 rogue, so she would not be kicking anyone's ass anytime soon. However, I plan to change that at some point *evil smile* Actually I've been having some issues connecting since the new patch came in (I'm on mobile broadband) but I tinkered with my network settings over the weekend and I think the issue has resolved itself. Yay.. back to my addiction!

@Tweety: I am a sucker for chocolate but am more savoury than sweet.. so I tend to cut down on dessert so I can have a nicer main meal. I just want to learn to bake because I'm a completist at heart and also baking is very therputic [Smile] I did have the most delicious first mango of summer yesterday for dinner.. mmm I love living down under [Wink]

@Swiss Mercenary: Hehe leave WOW for LOTR? I am trying hard enough at the moment to cut down on WoW.. let alone substitute it with something else [Wink] Actually I don't know anyone else who plays LOTR. What's it like? Is there a largish Aussie playerbase like WoW?

@The famous druid: Hehe hello fellow Aussie. I never heard of Sydney being referred to as the Den of Sin. I wish it was a den of sin. For me anyway. Then I might be writing less forum posts and uh sinning more lol

@Ugh, MightyClub: Nice to meet you too, and interesting nick [Wink] It's Monday morning and I missed breakfast, so your talk of bagels is making me hungry. Mmmm.. what I wouldn't do for a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel right now... *brb*

*ok, back with a ham and cheese crossiant. not perfect, but it'll do*

@TheMoMan: Thanks for your words of welcome. Aiming to become an active member [Wink]

@Stevenback7: Hehe I hope I'm not grouped as an old fart *sob* yet ;p My cat is only 10 months old and spoilt as. He's sitting at home right now on the sofa watching wrestling, whilst I am at work.. and one of my friends will be letting herself in my flat in an hour to feed him and play with him ;p You would love Sydney. Apart from being a den of sin, it's also rather beautiful [Wink]

Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 08:55      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, I have too ask as part of geekdom...

Is the Cantonese in Waynes World, real-world accurate? [Smile] .....

If I saw that profile on a dating site, I'd reply too it ASAP, heh. Only Jersey is quite a big distance from Australia. Although my Australian friend doesn't seem too mind the long flight time [Smile] .

The only thing I don't really mesh with is the trying new foods. Once I find a food I like, I tend too stick with it until they don't make it anymore [Smile] . The only new food I tried recently in the last ten years was fish, but never again, as it did not agree with me [Smile] .

I'll start a profile of my own eventually, but as for me...

I'm generally laid back, spent the last 10 years self teaching myself various 3D programs and computer technology in hopes it might lead somewhere. Now since it didn't, I'm pursuing a dream job at a local NY radio station.

I don't mind cats (a familly up the street has 'adopted' a few strays in the neighborhood, so I'm used too 'em), but I'm a dog person. I love getting too the beach, and eventfully plan too travel too one of my ancestral homes of Scotland one of these days..

I have a few dating profile sites, but I have too check up on the rules too see if links too 'em, or myspace are accepted [Smile] .

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 13:14      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome SydneyGirl

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 18:15      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Shredder and thanks for your reply.. also.. welcome!!! [Wink]

I can't remember the Cantonese scene from Wayne's World. But I do remember the accents were atrocious so probably not very accurate hehe. Will look it up again/rewatch on the weekend and confirm next week.

I've never been to Jersey.. never made it to NY during my travels ;( Hopefully in the next few years.. it is one hell of a flight but I come armed with laptops and DSes and Ipods.. so it;s not so bad [Smile] Actually I always get stopped at security who are too bewildered by the mass of cables and gadgets in my bag!

Dream job at radio station sounds good. I always wanted to work at a radio station but currently am otherwise engaged in my dream job in .. well IT. Doesn't sound as exciting does it hehe. Maybes I will make it in the states one day. From talking to other american friends apparently you guys are suckers for our accents ;p

I am both a dog and a cat person. But for dogs I would want something really big (please recall the scene of Beethoven causing absolute chaos as he bounds happily through a picnic). No annoying little rat like puppies for me! My cat is very doglike though. Right now he is sitting on the couch watching wrestling and eating a snickers wrapper.

I have been to Scotland and I love it! It's one of the prettiest places in the world. Which part of Scotland would you go to?

sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 18:20      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Hal9000.. Thank you! [Wink]
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2007 18:58      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case, it would be ye-old town of Port Glasgow. Other than near a sea, don't know the difference between that and Regular Glasgow. Don't know where the Irish side used too hail from, though.

Well, currently I am very loosely IT. But as any tech head knows, one likes too keep equipment as up to date as possible when necessary, and my fathers company is a bunch of guys 50 and over. Not necessarily up on all the minor stuff, let alone latest stuff, so it does get a bit frustrating at times, heh.

We just recently replaced a FAX machine that had been gotten at least a decade ago. They are still using those horrible A: Drive diskettes instead of Flash Drives. I did manage too convert the younger guys too thumb drives, though.

And when we cleaned out the closet, we found not only a real floppy, but the drive it was read on too boot... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Floppy_disk_5.25_inch.JPG

It's interesting, but the radio job will be much more fun if it happens and more up my alley [Smile] .

As far as accents go, they can be sexy, that's for sure [Smile] .

Oh, almost forgot. Have you ever been too Japan? Another of my best friends was from there as well, and last I heard, still living the busy lifestyle they seem too have. Trying too get in touch with him for the ten year reunion, but debating on how expensive it would be too send a Fed Ex over there [Smile] .

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2007 15:17      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okies.. so here is an update to my single situation.

Last night I met up with this guy and had an amazing time. We met randomly at a client fucntion, and he asked me out to dinner.. and well.. he's a programmer and a gamer and geek and we spent the night swapping war stories about work and favorite video games ;p

Anyway he asked me out again for Friday night, and well it's (very!) early days but I've got a good feeling about him.. he seems keen and sincere about getting to know each other, so I'm no longer looking for the moment to see how things go [Wink]

I guess I was getting a bit disillusioned because I was meeting an amazing number of creeps, but this date (whether it's just a date or turns into something else) reminds me that there are absolutely awesome people out there.. and well.. you only need to find 1 of them [Wink]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 28, 2007 16:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome sydneygirl! [thumbsup]

I hope you two have a great time Friday night!

(and be sure to tell us all about it too. [Razz] )

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2007 17:02      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Shredder,

I've been to both regular Glasgow and Port Glasgow.. a bit industrial but still very interesting. A cool travel moment actually happened in Glasgow.. it's quite industrial and there was not a lot to see (on foot) about 10 years back. So I am wandering around one of the city parks and then this local guy starts talking to me (and me being naive and 18) starts talking back, and he ended up showing me the cemetery on top of the hill in Glasgow (apparently quite famous). We actually brought some paper and charcoal and started doing gravestone rubbings, and then he ended up showing me through Glasgow for the next few days. Yes, I could have been murdered and chopped into bits and my mom would have a fit if she knew, but I ended up making an awesome friend [Smile]

I work.. in the dept of chaos, otherwise known as marketing. I used to come from a IT/BA background, but now I work as a social media consultant, which means I pick up the latest webtrends and try to apply them to our company's online strategy (stuff like blogging, virals etc), but also I get to work on TV commericals, print ads and campaigns. It's a lot of fun but also.. chaos. [Razz]

I can;'t believe that 5.25" disks are still in use. I remember when I thought that the 3.5" ones held sooo much data though. Nowadays even my mother has migrated to a thumb drive [Wink]

Yes I have been to Japan. I was lucky that my parents were advocates of travel when I was growing up so I got sent back to asia a lot. I love japan for the food and gadget shopping.. have you been?

sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2007 17:03      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Snaggy. we are having a scary movie marathon which is I think guy speak for I want you to snuggle closer when you get scared. Not that I mind though hehe.

I will keep you posted.

Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 21:40      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww man....I guess we can't compete with guys who are closer than halfway across the world [Smile] . Good luck [Smile] .

Heh, I thought that cemetery story was going too end in 'we saw a ghost orb light appear out of nowhere and it started talking too us ' [Smile] . I love watching Ghost Hunters, no matter how fake it might be [Smile] .

Ahh, I think I see. Just as a loose example, you'd be browsing something like the firefox add on page and see how that would be useful to your companies firefox system. VERY loose example [Smile] .
Have you worked on anything that we might have seen globally?

The big disks 5.25 are no longer in use. We just had one spare one that I threw out a month ago. I'm currently trying to copy over all our remaining smaller floppy's onto the server so we can convert everyone over too thumb drives. Using those 3" ones again reminded me of all the annoying problems I had copying pictures for backup. No where near as bad as ZIP Disks, however [Smile] .

Nope, never been too Japan. As far as I got out of the country was Paradise Island, although I may be going somewhere next year with the radio station on their yearly island trip/week long broadcast, so it should be fun [Smile] .

sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 16:14      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder,

I had a very sucky friday night. In fact, I am starting to think that another cat might not be such a bad idea after all hehe [Wink]

I love ghost stories though they can be a bit scary at times. Actually I was at the Rookwood cemetery in Sydney the other day, and the guy in the cemetery flower shop told me this following story: he was tending some graves in the veteran's gardens (which are walled off from the rest of the cemetery with one one entrance/exit) and he noticed this woman kneeling at one of the graves. He looked up again a secondlater and the woman was gone. He was a bit spooked because she couldn't have left without walking past him, and he walked around all the graves seeing if she was playing a joke on him and had just laid down in the grass to hide, but couldn't find her at all.

I don't know if the florist guy was trying to scare me but he seemed genuinely spooked! Actually Rookwood can be a pretty creepy place. It's the largest cemetery in the southern hemisphere and you can spend hours wandering around (and getting lost) without seeing another person.

I work for www.three.com.au. I designed and directed the online shopping experience, and also the 3 Skype phone launch. I work with firefox add ons.. but mostly I just do a lot of surfing of blogs and forums and see what people are saying about our company, and how we can better customer and user experience. If anyone is complaining in a forum I'll try to contact them and fix it, and I will also see what the current web trends are so that we can offer better products and services. I also create new campaigns and virals and ways to communicate with customers. It's actually quite a rewarding role [Wink]

I haven't used a 3.5in in years. It's funny how our perceptions of data change, I remember when I got my first CD burner 10 years ago 750MB seemed like an amazing amount of data (I would take several months to fill a whole CD!) and now I complain that 4.7GB is no enough to do even one month's backup.

Speaking of back ups, has anyone seen Fido? I saw that on the weekend and it was an awesome movie [Wink]

Japan is great. I am hoping to hop over there for a few days shopping trip over xmas.

B.

Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 18:22      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not had anything super spooky happen to me, just a few strange things.

1- My stereo turned on by itself. The power button was not loose at all, and I was nowhere near it.

And 2- The ONLY time I have ever gotten goosebumps. I was checking email, and all of a sudden the hair on the back of my neck just stood up. You could almost feel each individual one. For whatever reason, it spooked me out and I went downstairs for a while. Would not have bothered me as much if I was not alone at night at the time [Smile] .

I have also smelled various things like perfume and cigar smoke especially, but that might have been a bit more explainable since occasionally the window would be open when it happens.

I know the feeling with CD's. I remember getting my first CD drive, not even a writer, around 1995 or so. It was slow too open and noisy, but I had a whole new world of music to listen to and could one day look forward to getting rid of tapes. Around 2004 I discovered the joy of Mp3's, and found I could fit the audio of my favorite movies onto one CD. Great for long rides. This, of course, was before stuff like the Creative Zen came along [Smile] .

That actually does sound like a cool job. It keeps the company reputation up, would hopefully assure return business, and probably a great spirit lifter as well, heh. You probably have to have allot of patience, though [Smile] .

Took a quick look at the page, and for some reason I centered on 'Watch Mobile Cricket TV'. That reminded me of something. Isn't that a REALLY big sport over there? I seem to remember my Australian friend bringing something up about a sport that basically took over peoples lives for a month or two and went on for a REALLY long time...

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 18:59      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe Shredder,

We are a nation of sport lovers. A few of the really big sports events that do "take over" during the year:

Cricket: happening now. I'm not a big fan of cricket, and actually some guys in the office had to give me a crash course so I could work on the campaign

Sydney to Hobart - Boxing Day - a sailing race that goes from.. Sydney to Hobart ;p

Tennis/The Australian Open - also happening over summer I think.

Rugby - Throughout the year, culminating in the Bledisloe Cup

Melbourne Cup - a horse race that *everyone* stops to watch which happens 3:15, first Tuesday in November every year. State holiday in Melbourne, a chance to drink yourself silly and an excuse for the rest of the nation to take the afternoon off.

That's about all I can think of. Probably a few more as well but these are the mainstream ones [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture