homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Online dating sites (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Online dating sites
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 20:27      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone make use of these? I was reading some hilarious (well, to me. not to the participants though) stories of the characters some people are coming across on these sites. I haven't visited any of them, but even if I had been interested, I wouldn't be now after reading those reviews. [crazy]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 03:54      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my (now ex) wife on Lavalife.com

I don't know if I would use one again. I did go out on quite a few dates from it. But since my wife and I split up I've become more bold. I used to be really shy and that is why I used them. But now I have no problem talking to girls I meet. This is a total 160 for me. I was the most shy person on the planet.

I would not say that thoes sites are bad, but I'm having more fun the old fashion way of hitting on girls.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 06:48      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't dating sites full of lads who keep their prospective girlfriends in basement pits and make them put lotion on their skin?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 09:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
... This is a total 160 for me. I was the most shy person on the planet.

A total 160, eh? Couldn't bring yourself to go the other 20 degrees? [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 09:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dating sites have worked for some people I know of. I've tried some myself, and they can be interesting, but haven't worked out for me, other than exchanging messages with the occasional person. OKcupid can be entertaining now and then. I know a few other people from GC have signed up with it besides myself, though I don't know if they are still active.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 09:34      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

I sorta assumed he went from the "most shy" to nearly the most gregarious [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 10:49      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
quote:
quote:

I sorta assumed he went from the "most shy" to nearly the most gregarious [Big Grin]
No I just posted that with little to no coffee in me. I can't be expected to think before coffee. Thats like trying to start a car with no gas.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 12:12      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my husband on Match.com [hearts] and I think Rhonnwynn (I always spell her name wrong) met hers on eHarmony. Honestly I think it all depends on the person using the service. (I went on a date with one guy who wore shorts and a tshirt and watched the baseball game all during dinner. And then there was the sociopath...learned my lesson there. And then there was the guy who was missing more teeth than he had.) [crazy]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 13:22      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another OkCupid veteran here. I met one of my best friends through that site, and a couple of other people I still chat to/hang out with. Oh yes, and I managed to procure a psycho-stalker. I still maintain that there's a great deal of stigma attached to online dating, which people ought to try and overcome. It's worth a try, as long as you proceed with caution and common sense.

Weirdly, I met my current boyfriend the old-fashioned way - through friends. But the friend I met him through was a guy I met on OkCupid... make of that what you will.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 16:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, BW, you're right. Bear and I met through eHarmony.com. I had tried some other sites, but the guys I met through there were mostly uneducated. Very frustrating and so not my type. eHarmony was better at matching me with people who were closer to the kinds of values and ideals I liked. Jonathan and I butt heads on subjects occasionally, but our personalities mesh very well. He's studied me carefully and can read me very well. I'm not so good at reading him 'cause some of his looks can be interpreted multiple ways.

But that's really not related to the Web site dating service question. My vote's for eHarmony. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 20:46      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried eHarmony. Got the following message:

"We feel it is important to tell our users about any potential problems.

Roughly 20% of people who sign up for our service simply will not benefit from it.

You are one of those 20%. Good luck and may God have mercy on your soul."

Apparently, since I don't put down the usual "I'm very open/caring/affection/intelligent/all-around nice guy, I won't be matched. Oh well, guess there's no real loss. I've looked at a couple other sites, and I might try signing up for those. I'm very straightforward whenever I have to write something about myself. I know what I am: witty, dry, usually condescending, often offensivve, intelligent, and demeaning. While I understand emotions very well, I choose not to display them. I comfort people whenever they're having a hard time... unless said hard time was brought on by their own stupidity. Apparently, having these characteristics invalidates me for online dating stuff, but I'd rather live with that than try to change these aspects of my personality which, quite frankly, I'm rather fond of [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2007 21:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends wrote:
Apparently, since I don't put down the usual "I'm very open/caring/affection/intelligent/all-around nice guy, I won't be matched.

Did you put down a religion other than a variation of Christianity? E-Harmony is heavily oriented towards Christian dating, although they don't make that particularly obvious.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 01:21      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

Roughly 20% of people who sign up for our service simply will not benefit from it.

Oh wow... something about that makes me hope so much that I'd be one of the 20%.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 01:50      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I wonder what response I'd get if I put down militant atheist? [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 02:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I comfort people whenever they're having a hard time... unless said hard time was brought on by their own stupidity.

In my experience 99% of the time people are having a hard time because of thier own stupidity. Especially in america where there are not that many plagues, wars or other acts of god. Just a thought. I am not calling you an insensative clod or anything.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 06:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Apparently, since I don't put down the usual "I'm very open/caring/affection/intelligent/all-around nice guy, I won't be matched. Oh well, guess there's no real loss. I've looked at a couple other sites, and I might try signing up for those. I'm very straightforward whenever I have to write something about myself. I know what I am: witty, dry, usually condescending, often offensivve, intelligent, and demeaning. While I understand emotions very well, I choose not to display them. I comfort people whenever they're having a hard time... unless said hard time was brought on by their own stupidity. Apparently, having these characteristics invalidates me for online dating stuff, but I'd rather live with that than try to change these aspects of my personality which, quite frankly, I'm rather fond of [Smile]

You know, I have about the same "problem": I tried a more-or-less local dating site, with zero result. I didn't put photos, didn't pretend to be what I am not just to get more hits, and was straightforward about it. Obviously, people prefer to be lied to rather than face the cold truth from the start. Or maybe I just didn't choose the right site, and the people there are of the immature kind.

(For the curious ones, I openly stated that I prefer intellectual pursuits over physical niceness, then proceeded to describe my favorite activities, and ended on a blunt "feelings don't follow logic, so I make no promises". )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 06:52      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simple Google search turned up a dating site for geeks.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 08:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
nerdwithnofriends wrote:
Apparently, since I don't put down the usual "I'm very open/caring/affection/intelligent/all-around nice guy, I won't be matched.

Did you put down a religion other than a variation of Christianity? E-Harmony is heavily oriented towards Christian dating, although they don't make that particularly obvious.

Oh great, that's what the world needs, breeding christians.

*shudder*

[Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 09:48      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
nerdwithnofriends wrote:

Oh great, that's what the world needs, breeding christians.

*shudder*

[Razz]

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 16:43      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually on eHarmony, hotornot, I was on gk2gk, etc. I've tried everything.

eHarmony is like pulling teeth, My membership is up in April, and I don't think I'll renuew.

I don't get out much since I work two jobs, and go to school. I really do need to pry myself from the Cat5 though.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 18:12      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or is there no suitable dating site for us... ummm... aesthetically challenged types. I really need a DesperateMingers.com, or maybe a LumpenTrollopesWillDoYouForAFishSupper.com -- you know what I mean?*

(* semi-serious.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 18:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo wrote:
Is it me or is there no suitable dating site for us... ummm... aesthetically challenged types. I really need a DesperateMingers.com, or maybe a LumpenTrollopesWillDoYouForAFishSupper.com -- you know what I mean?*

Sure there is. It's called CraigsList. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 18:59      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Are you pulling my leg?! They didn't actually say this, did they?
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
In my experience 99% of the time people are having a hard time because of thier own stupidity.

So what do you propose? Stupid people are people too.
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Is it me or is there no suitable dating site for us... ummm... aesthetically challenged types.

Here spungo, try the one MacD found.
quote:
A simple Google search turned up a dating site for geeks.

As usual, I learn a lot by asking questions. I had no idea there were so many dating sites out there. I've only heard of a couple. But anyway, if not for reading the posts that prompted this question in the first place, I might have thought it a good way to meet potential mates. I like the idea of meeting people on line, especially people in far flung places. Perhaps the dating services aren't always the best venue for that though. Still, they apparently work for some types of people.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 19:09      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo, forums are a much better place for meeting people from distant lands. [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 23:19      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:

Are you pulling my leg?! They didn't actually say this, did they?

Yes, sans the 'god have mercy on your soul part'. I took creatie license with that [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture