homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » this forum is under utilized! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: this forum is under utilized!
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a forum entitled "Looking for Love" it seems to be horribly under-utilized. Why is that? Is it because most of the users here are already in some meaningful relationship that they do not need this? Or is it because some of us are afraid to admit that they are looking for "the one", their "soul mate", or just trying to get lucky?

Come on people. This forum is not any worse than some of those commercial sites. And I'm sure some of you have been to those meat markets.. :-p

As for me, yes, I am single. Am I looking for love? Sorta, maybe, not really. If it decides, to side-swipe me, okay. Do I think I might be able to find it here? Who knows. You don't know unless you try. :-)

If friends are found, even better as friendships tend to outlast some relationships.

So here goes:

Vital Stats:
Sex: Female
Vocation: Engineer
Activities: Cycling, x-country skiing, walking
Interests: Travelling, cooking, music, cooking, gardening and of course, computers.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, OK, suppose I want to date you. According to my palmtop, you're only a mere 3228 miles away from me.

Personally my approach is different. If people are open for love, they should keep their UBB profile current and useful, as that is able to contain more than the information you wrote here.

I go not by what people write in their introductory posts or topics like this, but by reading their posts and getting a more realistic picture of them from that. It does take time to start to tell what a person is really like, and you can make various wrong assumptions. If they have a blog address posted, that may offer more clues; if it's trivial crap about their life that no-one wants to read, run away.

But if you do want to find out more, send a private message, or an instant message via the details in their profile. Talk to them, get to know them more.

The pool of people here is too low however for this to work well as a dating arena. Too many men, the women are too few and too spread out, and hardly any from outside North America. Those in Britain tend to not be old enough for me anyhow. And only a few women actually post frequently enough to get a feel for, and then how many out of those will be free (some of the more noticeable ones are taken) and compatible with a freak like me? (Zero)

IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 12:52      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point taken. I guess I'm still too much of a newbie here to get a better feel of what goes on here.

*sigh* back to the drawing board...

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 30, 2006 13:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty, don't be discouraged, many people have found love through here, and also our IRC channel. [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:45      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely! I know I, personally, have found a deep love of puns and naughty jokes. [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 14:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Snaggy... don't get discouraged. Not everyone lives 3228 miles away and there are people here who might find you quite interesting. You may not get many responses from this post, but it serves to let people know that you're available and won't automatically have a negative reaction if they were to approach you.

More information helps get people interested too. You list music as an interest, for example, and that's a popular topic that repeats here from time to time. What sort of music do you like? What sorts can you simply not stand?

Incidentally, it's nice to see a woman my age posting and not freaking out about her age.
(I'm 38 too, even if I act like an annoying 5 year old half of the time)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 19:02      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
... (I'm 38 too, even if I act like an annoying 5 year old half of the time)

Only half the time? You might want to recheck your estimate [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 05:05      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BooBoo [Smile]

There are certainly relatinships that have come about as a result of the GC forums. Don't pin too many expectations on this one section, but if you hang around and post and IRC, chances are you may very well meet someone. (As for the distance, in the right circumstances it's a choice of quality over immediate accessibility I guess.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 05:40      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So very true fs. [Big Grin]
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 05:42      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the comments. And no need to worry, I don't usually put all my eggs into one basket. :-)

Steen: To further elaborate on my tastes in music, it varies greatly. I like listening to some electronica, been listening to a lot of The Pixies lately, and occasionally revert to some harder stuff like The Offspring, Rancid, Bad Brains and the Clash. :-) Can't stand rap and hip-hop. Plus, how would you know I hadn't already freaked out? :-D

Hehehe!

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 06:19      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I cannot imagine why, this thread reminded me of the old ditty:

I sent my sinuses to Arizona
I sent my liver to Peru;
I sent my lungs and kidneys
For the summer to Sidney,
Now I'm sendin' my heart to you...

Must have to do with the whole distance thing.

Howdy BooBoo.  - Welcome to GC Forums. fs is advising from experience. If you ask her nicely, maybe she'll tell you about it.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 08:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
... (I'm 38 too, even if I act like an annoying 5 year old half of the time)

Only half the time? You might want to recheck your estimate [Wink]
You caught me. I was rounding up to the 50% mark. I went back and looked at the statistics and here's what I found:

-

Clearly, I'm not actually putting half my time into behaving like an annoying 5 year old [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 09:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty wrote:
how would you know I hadn't already freaked out? :-D

Because I'm psychic! I know this because everyone tells me so... or maybe the word they used was psychotic. Oh well, it's virtually the same thing [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 09:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a more serious note, BooBoo, I think you'll find that although Geek Culture isn't necessarily a hotbed of romantic relationship formation the community is very supportive in regards to relationships that are only half grounded here. What I mean is that if you meet someone outside Geek Culture and want good advice you can and will get it here.

Well, as long as you keep posting intelligent thoughts in the meantime, anyway. If you start sounding like teh haxxor there might be a problem [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 10:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: Well done!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 12:02      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
If you start sounding like teh haxxor there might be a problem [Wink]

Who me? I hope not! But if I do, then everyone had better run away! ;-)

Thanks everyone!

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 16:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the name 'BooBooKitty'... has it got anything to do with Snoochie Boochies? [Wink]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 16:37      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Though I cannot imagine why, this thread reminded me of the old ditty:

And that ditty remonds me of one by Sloppy Seconds.

I left my heart in San Francisco
And my brain in Los Angeles
My heart just made me bitter
And my brain just made me dangerous

I don't miss either one
But I look into the sun
And I'd give anything
For one good pair of shades

[Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 15:46      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-C skiing, cycling, cooking and gardening?

You sound purrrrr-fect kitty.

How 'bout you bring that boo-boo here and have the Colonel kiss it and make it better?

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 17:00      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic - if you want time to move backwards, you have to fly in the opposite direction of the Earth's rotation.

Just tryin' to be helpful, ya know. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 17:25      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic,

Hey, she wouldn't be the youngest filly in the stable. And the way I figure it, making time go backwards isn't the challenge, making time stand still is.

I figured out a way to make that happen, in fact. Financed my son's vasectomy -- so I won't be hearing the words "Grandpa" for a while.

38 is a fine age for a smart, bicycle-riding engineers from Montreal.

It's an older, cardio lab head at Pfizer in Monteal who gives me the cold sweats.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 19:55      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I like the name 'BooBooKitty'... has it got anything to do with Snoochie Boochies? [Wink]

Mebbe! [Big Grin]
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 19:57      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
X-C skiing, cycling, cooking and gardening?

You sound purrrrr-fect kitty.

How 'bout you bring that boo-boo here and have the Colonel kiss it and make it better?

[Wink]

CP

I think I feel nauseous now.

;-)

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 19:59      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incidentally, been hanging out with some of you on IRC. [Smile] Got to know some really nice folk!

//BBK

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 20:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Incidentally, been hanging out with some of you on IRC. [Smile] Got to know some really nice folk!

//BBK

Back to being grumpy again.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture