homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Geek Guy Lookin' For Like-Minded Woman....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geek Guy Lookin' For Like-Minded Woman....
skywalking_sith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 20:56      Profile for skywalking_sith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everybody...

Well, where to start? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say geeks looking for love is not an easy task, otherwise we wouldn't be here, right?

I know for me it's been a royal pain...I wonder if it could be a combination of 3 things...my looks, my geek lifestyle or I'm just not very likeable...I'm pretty sure I can dismiss the latter since people keep inviting me places, so I must not be that bad to be around...so, by reason of deduction, my dear Watson, that it must be the first two...
Yes, I am a little overweight, but ya know, that doesn't bother me as much as it used to...it used to consume my life, but now I'm of the mindset where if the only reason they can not like me is because I'm a hefty man, then they're about as shallow as a kiddy pool and I don't wanna know them anyway...I am, however, working on losing weight, but not to please other folks, but for me...
So, now it just comes down to being a geek...it's been very hard finding someone who shares my geek joys for Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, comics, toys, games, etc...
That's why I'm here...I'm looking for the same things in a woman I've always looked for, but with a penchant for watching anime at 2 in the morning and discussing the perils of living with strange abilities....
Is that too much to ask? I don't think so...I just want someone who is honest, caring, courteous, kind, funny, intelligent and also loves the aformentioned activities...
So, if there's anyone out there who relates to this, please get in touch with me...I really want someone I can share every aspect of my life with and not have to be a geek by myself...
I hope I'm not alone here....

--------------------
Let He Who is Without Sin Kick the First Ass...

Posts: 4 | From: Washington | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to take time off from being a sarcastic asshole and ask a question that I'm really curious about. I mean no offense (don't worry, I'll get to that later if you seem to deserve it) in the asking.

So, I looked at your myspace page and noticed something I've seen on a lot of other myspace pages that makes no sense to me: The combination of a background image and font color choices which make the text on the page nearly unreadable (at least until I switch to using my default css rather than the one the page is designed with). Why did you choose to make the page look that way?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than because MySpace is a dumping ground for crap design that you can't read, and so much overload that the PC chokes trying to scroll it? (This is after I set AdBlock to kill all those crappy music players that fire up and trample out my own music)

(And "fattymcbutterpants" ... I can't imagine a less appealing name than making yourself sound like a sticky heap of lard)

Though this is probably the worst design I've seen so far:

http://www.xanga.com/bowlpurple785

(Found because that is my Lava Lamp screenshot, and it's being put to atrocious use.)

Even the readable MySpace pages are still so cluttered that they take forever to load. I don't know who started this trend, but I want to slap them hard. Along with LiveJournal .....

IP: Logged
HypedOnMuffins
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3760

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 08:27      Profile for HypedOnMuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get it... you seem like a respectable fellow, and worthy of plenty of girl's admiring attentions. Why you don't have it seems a mystery to me... I'm a girl, I should know. (I'm a teenage girl, I am offlimits).

Good luck though... I'm sure you'll find your someone eventually.

--------------------
It's really rude to hate muffins when they so like you! Muffins are quite fond of people, why don't you like them too?

Posts: 12 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
skywalking_sith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 11:01      Profile for skywalking_sith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fatty McButterpants is a reference to a tv show...

Hyped: Thanks for the nice comments...I'm not sure what the problem is either...I think I'm just living in the wrong part of the country...the women around here are snobbish and superficial...

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 15:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a hint... geek girls like geek stuff but they value maturity too. A guy over the age of 16 who talks primarily about his comic books and Star Wars toys and penchant for games is sending up "I'm going to leave a sink full of dirty dishes and play Playstation while you do my laundry" and "I'm going to prioritize buying toys over replacing the major appliance that broke" flags. Not that there is anything wrong with those hobbies and interests, but most geek girls in their mid/late 20s aren't looking for a boy, they are looking for an adult partner that they can rely on to participate in an adult relationship. That's not a side of your personality that is coming across.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
skywalking_sith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 16:32      Profile for skywalking_sith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, let me just say now...I'm a responsible adult male who pays bills and does housework and makes appointments on time...I'm just looking for a significant other who shares similar interests and desires and points-of-view, etc...

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 17:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then WTF are you doing on MySpace?

No, seriously?

[Frown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
skywalking_sith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5525

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 17:59      Profile for skywalking_sith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I like getting in touch with old friends...

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 19:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does that work anyway? If everyone's too afraid to use their real names, how do you ever find anyone? Makes no sense, unless you review every last possible person from your area looking for a familiar face...

I almost feel like posing a challenge, to create and maintain a tidy, ordered and intelligent looking MySpace page. To anyone. I fear it's simply impossible given MySpace's absurd idea that every last facet of your online life should be crammed onto a single page. And what's with every friend's comment having yet another copy of their face attached? Hasn't anyone learnt the value of efficient use of screen space on the Web, and the logic of splitting off content onto separage pages so that what you want to read loads fast and is coherently displayed?

Your own MySpace page carries a very immature and chaotic image vastly different from that which you would presumably be wanting to portray, but MySpace is almost without hope. For example, every fucktard who sends you a comment with an embedded movie in makes the page longer, more visually untidy, load slower and consume more RAM.

MySpace is the new hellhole of the Internet, I don't know why we keep creating them. But do yourself a huge favour and try to make the best of it, not the worst.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 19:59      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skywalking_sith:
Hi, everybody...

Hey skywalking_sith.
quote:

Well, where to start? I'm sure I'm not alone when I say geeks looking for love is not an easy task, otherwise we wouldn't be here, right?

Can't say that I am looking for love right now, myself. I am here to bs and occasionally talk shop. But hey, whatever floats your boat. [Razz]
quote:

I know for me it's been a royal pain...I wonder if it could be a combination of 3 things...my looks, my geek lifestyle or I'm just not very likeable...

Let's see, I have seen some UGLY fscks with some damn fine looking ladies. So I can safely assume that looks are not always number one on a woman's list of must have's. You are pretty sure that you are likable. I am not one to dispute someone I don't know. (Yes I am, but let's just assume otherwise) So I will have to say it is probably the geek lifestyle too.
quote:

So, now it just comes down to being a geek...it's been very hard finding someone who shares my geek joys for Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, comics, toys, games, etc...
snip
snip
...I really want someone I can share every aspect of my life with and not have to be a geek by myself...
I hope I'm not alone here....

Here is my only piece of real tangable advice. Don't think that you will ever meet someone that will love all of those geeky habits. Most people don't like. But if you find someone that tolerates it maybe even finds humour in certain aspects of it, keep her around.

And there is never a perfect place to meet anyone. Bookstore, coffee shop, in the subway. Life has this strange way of throwing curve balls at you.

Keep and open mind and an open heart and you will be surprised at the things that come your way.

Oh and about myspace, it is the work of Satan. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 11:15      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skywalking_sith:
Well, then, let me just say now...I'm a responsible adult male who pays bills and does housework and makes appointments on time...I'm just looking for a significant other who shares similar interests and desires and points-of-view, etc...

Hmmm...lessee...I see, what's that, pinups from comic books on the wall behind you? Is that your bedroom?! OMG...you still live with mom and dad, don't you?
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 12:19      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm, okay. So maybe it's the gay vibe you send with that earring and the artsy-fartsy posing you're doing in that pic? Clean yourself up a bit, lose the earring, look like a mature fellow instead of just a gay goofball, and maybe you'll start getting some girls... or guys. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 12:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earrings make you look gay..?

That reminds me of all the out-of-touch people who figured I was gay because I have long hair, which is not the current trend for gay men (if there even is a trend and I doubt there is).

An earring in each ear apparently used to be a secret signal that you were gay, but I don't know if that's true to date. I had a friend at school who was gay, I never realised. Seemed ordinary to me. And I never thought of skywalking_sith as being gay.

Personally I'm happy for blokes to wear earrings if they like. MySpace pages that make you look 14 ... uh, no. Earrings? Go for it.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 12:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, I like guys with earrings as much as the next girl, but somehow the way he's posing in his profile pic just reeks of "gay." The sneer and the earring just make him look like Isaac Mizrahi or someone flamboyant like that. It would be interesting to see what this guy looks like when he's cleaned up a bit, settled down, and has a sincere smile on his face.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 04:59      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree... looking for someone with the exact same tastes/hobbies as you is a receipe for loneliness at best, monotony at worst!

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 05:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can be a "like-minded woman" if you want me to be.
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 06:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I can be a "like-minded woman" if you want me to be.

Whatever happened to, "Don't ask, don't tell"?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture