homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Tequila and Salt..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tequila and Salt.....
shane_the_god_of_my_room
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4709

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 06, 2006 16:29      Profile for shane_the_god_of_my_room   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got this in an email
so I thought I'd share it with you all

Tequila and Salt.....

This should probably be taped to your bathroom
mirror where one could read it every day.
You may not realize it, but it's 100% true.

1. There are at least two people in this world
that you would die for.

2. At least 15 people in this world love you in
some way.

3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is
because they want to be just like you.

4. A smile from you can bring happiness to
anyone, even if they don't like you.

5. Every night, someone thinks about you before
they go to sleep.

6. You mean the world to someone.

7. You are special and unique.

8. Someone that you don't even know exists loves
you.

9. When you make the biggest mistake ever,
something good comes from it.

10. When you think
the world has turned its back
on you take another look.

11. Always remember the compliments you received.
Forget about the rude remarks.

So...If you are a loving friend, send this to
everyone, including
the one that sent it to you. If you get it back,
then they really do love you.

And always remember....when life hands you
lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over

remember it's all true... [Smile]

--------------------
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Posts: 33 | From: Wakefield UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 16:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Violet is not blue (red, orange, yellow, green ...) If violets are blue, why are they called violet?

And on the ThinkGeek t-shirt, they printed #0000FF in a colour quite different to the code itself.

IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 17:19      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shane_the_god_of_my_room:
remember it's all true... [Smile]

It all sounds a bit dubious to me. Especially nos. 3, 8 and 11.

If I lived my life assuming these to be true, I'd never get anything done, and probably fall into depression. It's the rude remarks that spur me on to better myself and achieve things.

I think number 4 and number 9 might have some merit, though.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 17:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that you would die for.

True.

some way.

It's possible, but not likely.

3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.

I can guarantee that there are at least a couple of people who hate me (and probably quite a large number who dislike me). I'm fairly sure none of them want to be like me.

The funniest one is a woman who is convinced that I caused her daughter to give up christianity and start sleeping around. Oddly, I never actually did anything with that particular girl other than work jigsaw puzzles. For once I was innocent.

4. A smile from you can bring happiness to
anyone, even if they don't like you.

More likely it will make them look concerned and frightened and ask me what I'm up to.

they go to sleep.

See #3. She probably sharpens a meat cleaver before going to bed each night.

Unfortunately, that's true. Every day I halfway expect to find her in the bushes outside my bedroom window with butcher knife in one hand and a jar of Vick's Vap-o-rub in the other.

And not just in the short bus sense, either! But mostly.

8. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.

Great. She can hide out in the bushes with the other one.

No. Someone died because of it and I don't talk about that much.

10. When you think the world has turned its back on you take another look.

Good advice. If you look quickly, you'll probably catch the world getting ready to stab you in the back.

11. Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.

But the rude remarks are often the most entertaining. Especially when someone calls me a homophobe for some reason [Smile]

So...If you are a loving friend, send this to
everyone, including the one that sent it to you. If you get it back, then they really do love you.

And if you're a loving, intelligent friend, you'll know better than to forward chain letter spams to your friends. Especially if they're mean spirited pranksters who will sign you up for the anal plug of the month club in return.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 02:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Especially if they're mean spirited pranksters who will sign you up for the anal plug of the month club in return.

You should be so lucky! This month's offering is a diamante encrusted in the Faberge style, a highly desirable collectors item to be displayed with pride.
[Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 02:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane _________ Do you really belive this stuff. This list is to give to depressed teenage girls and the like who got a D on thier report card or broke up with a boy and now think that thier life is over. THis list is for people who worry to much over the little things. However, in the real world, this list is BS.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
shane_the_god_of_my_room
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4709

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 09:48      Profile for shane_the_god_of_my_room   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK so
some of you seem to be taking this thing too seriously

it was only supposed to make you think a little
and put a smile on your other wise depressed faces

I know some of this stuff is lame
but heres a realistic rundown
just for those of you that are like "OMG that's like so BS...."

1: ok so maybe not true

2:all I'll say is family.................

3:not true again
there are some people in this world I detest
not because I want to be like them
but for my own reasons

4:true ( try reading up on abit of psychology )

5:statistically also true

6:obviously true some where along the line

7:I'm not that big headed...

8:well if there are girls out there that I like but haven't noticed me
then there are girls out there that like me
but I haven't noticed them
logically...

9:true ..you learn not to do it again.....

10:I'm not the kind of person to say
the world's turned it's back on me
you have your good day's
you have your bad day's
deal with it.............!!!

11:obviously

uilleann
it's just a little saying
ok...
but if your still having trouble with this concept
check out violets on wikipedia

and Ashitaka that response makes YOU sound like
depressed teenage girl

I show you lot something I think you might like
and find a little thought provoking
and you flame me

well real fucking mature

--------------------
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Posts: 33 | From: Wakefield UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 09:53      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah i agree with Ashitaka. These stupid chain mails are just for people who wants everyone to love them and have everyone believe they are the most special person in the world.

N.S.F.W

quote:
Here is a funny chain letter to send to people who send you too many chain letters.

Hello, my name is Alfonso Merkin. I am suffering from several rare and deadly diseases, poor scores on final exams, lack of sexual activity, fear of being kidnapped and executed by anal electrocution, and guilt for not sending out 50 billion f****** "forwards" sent to me by people who actually believe that if you send them, that poor 6 year old girl in Arkansas with lung cancer (brought on by second-hand smoke) will get 6 f****** cents every time you send me the letter. Do you honestly believe that Bill Gates is going to give you and everyone you send "his" email to, $1000? How f****** stupid are you? Ooooh, looky here! If I scroll down this page and make a wish, I'll get laid by every Victoria's Secret model in the catalog!

What a bunch of bullshit. So basically, this message is a big F*** YOU to all the people out there who have nothing better to do than to send me stupid chain mail forwards. Maybe the evil chain letter leprechauns will come into my apartment and sodomize me in my sleep for not continuing the chain which was started by Jesus in 5 A.D. and was brought to this country by midget pilgrims on the Mayflower, and if it makes it to the year 2000 it'll be in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest continuous streak of blatant stupidity.

F*** them. If you're going to forward something, at least send something mildly amusing. I've seen all this "send this to 50 of your closest friends, and this poor, wretched excuse for a human being will somehow receive a nickel from some 'omniscient being'" crap forwarded about 90 times. I don't fucking care. Show a little intelligence and think about what you're actually contributing to by sending out forwards. Chances are it's your own unpopularity.

Please forward this to at least 50 of your best friends!

http://www.insult-o-matic.com/

5719 illiterates could not understand this page.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 10:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OK so
some of you seem to be taking this thing too seriously

it was only supposed to make you think a little
and put a smile on your other wise depressed faces

I know some of this stuff is lame
but heres a realistic rundown
just for those of you that are like "OMG that's like so BS...."

1: ok so maybe not true

2:all I'll say is family.................

3:not true again
there are some people in this world I detest
not because I want to be like them
but for my own reasons

4:true ( try reading up on abit of psychology )

5:statistically also true

6:obviously true some where along the line

7:I'm not that big headed...

8:well if there are girls out there that I like but haven't noticed me
then there are girls out there that like me
but I haven't noticed them
logically...

9:true ..you learn not to do it again.....

10:I'm not the kind of person to say
the world's turned it's back on me
you have your good day's
you have your bad day's
deal with it.............!!!

11:obviously

uilleann
it's just a little saying
ok...
but if your still having trouble with this concept
check out violets on wikipedia

and Ashitaka that response makes YOU sound like
depressed teenage girl

I show you lot something I think you might like
and find a little thought provoking
and you flame me

well real fucking mature

So that answers that. You are deluded. Now are you going to think that I want to be just like you are are you going to forget this? (3 & 11)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 21:29      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus, my little sister used to forward crap like that to me all the time. I can't believe someone actually took the time to make a thread out of it. Couldn't you just have shared it with your friends? You know, the ones who want to be like you? [Roll Eyes]

It's pretty obvious that you're really young. So naive. So easy to corrupt. [evil]

MWAHAHAHAHA

Don't worry. We're still your friends. I like ponies, rainbows, unicorns and pink is my favorite color. Yeah.

Maybe you should read some philosophy or even some good poetry. Hell, the footsteps in the sand poem is so much better than that chain mail. And I'm not even religious.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 21:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 21:34      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's scary.

She's a he! [Eek!]

Ok, I'll stop trolling now.

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 06:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom and sister both send this crap to me over and over again. I almost considered putting them on my spam list. But they do also send out the funny picture ones. You know the ones I am talking about. Like the "Redneck" & "Sidewalk art" ones. Thoes I do find intresting or funny.

And then you get the hoax e-mails about people putting AIDS infected needles in the handles of gas pumps and coin returns of pay phones. Then I have to go to the "Urban legand" page of About.com they have a Hoax e-mail section with all of them in it. And I have to forward that to all my aunts and uncles and my mom and sister and my moms friends so they can use a pay phone again.

I am very glad my other sister doesn't have internet. I would be so flooded with that kind of junk.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 11:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I can't believe no one commented on this part of it...who uses lemons when doing tequila shots? It's LIMES, people, LIMES! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 11:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:

I can't believe no one commented on this part of it...who uses lemons when doing tequila shots? It's LIMES, people, LIMES! [Roll Eyes]
I'm guessing this is bvecuase most people didn't make it to the end of the post.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 12:27      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:

Lemons and limes aren't really differentiated in Spanish ("limon" is used for both), and are often used interchangeably in Mexican food, though some have a preference, in my experience. I can only assume that's the case with Tequila, as well.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 13:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
Lemons and limes aren't really differentiated in Spanish ("limon" is used for both)

Kind of like how I was blonde ('rubio') in South America, they don't seem to have a word for 'redhead', which is probably fair enough, from some peoples reactions, I was clearly the first they'd seen.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 14:27      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought limes were referred to in Spanish as limon verde (green lemon) to differentiate between the two.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 17:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
I thought limes were referred to in Spanish as limon verde (green lemon) to differentiate between the two.

I've had some conversations regarding this, and my understanding is that while it is possible to specify a "limon verde", in practice it's not too common. Asking for "limon" in a restaurant, for example, could get you either one. I guess I should qualify my statement by saying that my experience is disproportionately from the Baja region, so maybe this is different elsewhere.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 20:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This lack of differentiation can cause problems in other areas...

For example, "carne" can be interpreted to mean "meat", or "beef".

While travelling in South America, we met an English vegetarian, who was complaining that she'd order a meal "sin carne" ("without meat") and it would arrive with a pigs trotter floating in it. When she complained, the waiter would invariably reply "No es carne, es jamón" ("It's not beef, it's ham")

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 22:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to see here...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 22:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar experience in Ecuador, except in my case they gave me chicken.

/me bangs head against wall

that you would die for.

Maybe. The more likely scenario would be I meant to only be severely injured, screwed up, and got killed instead.

some way.

Yeah, I can agree to that. I've got enough friends and family...do pets also count? House plants?

3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
Poor fool.

4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.
Really? Usually I just scare or confuse people.

they go to sleep.

Now that is fscking creepy.

See number five.

Just like all the other snowflakes.

8. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.
See number five.

I'm still waiting...

10. When you think the world has turned its back on you take another look.
Usually I just wait for the world to turn around again. It always does.

11. Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.
How about I just forget both and keep my head a nice normal size?

Sorry. Rough day at work. Makes me kinda cranky.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 23:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrt. number 9 ... You've simply not made a big enough mistake yet :) Don't worry, you will.
Olgazon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 16:08      Profile for Olgazon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I've had some conversations regarding this, and my understanding is that while it is possible to specify a "limon verde", in practice it's not too common. Asking for "limon" in a restaurant, for example, could get you either one. I guess I should qualify my statement by saying that my experience is disproportionately from the Baja region, so maybe this is different elsewhere.
If happen to travel to Spain, you will find that you will get what you want by asking for "lima", not too surprising given the etymology of the English word. As a matter of fact, I have never heard the use of "limón verde" around here, and "limón" will always get you a lemon.

As regards to the other references in the thread to Spanish words, TFD would be welcome with a "pelirrojo" in es_ES. Vegetarians would do best presenting themselves as such to avoid risking being served fish, but I very much doubt that asking not to be served "carne" would lead to being served meat of any kind of land (and probably air too) animal meat. Actually, the nuances of the word are pretty close, when referred to food.

I guess distance and a lack of regular communication explains the semantic differences in how Spanish is spoken worldwide. However, sometimes they are so wide as to warrant unconfortable surprises, even with commonly used words. Is it the same with English worldwide, or do factors such as its use in International business, the lack of dubbing in films and other differences from Spanish help maintain it united?

P.S. Sorry for being offtopic in a first post. First, the urge to post was too much for waiting to write any kind of presentation (which apart I am naturally shy about). Second, from what I have seen, thread highjacking in the forums has actually been a welcome sport in some occassions, so I hope that my contribution in such a direction will not sour anybody's mood.

Posts: 1 | From: Iberia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2006 16:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Olgazon:
quote:
quote:

If happen to travel to Spain, you will find that you will get what you want by asking for "lima", not too surprising given the etymology of the English word. As a matter of fact, I have never heard the use of "limón verde" around here, and "limón" will always get you a lemon.
Interesting. I had actually checked a couple of dictionaries to see if it fit what I remember, and didn't run across it. I suspect that Castillian Spanish tends to make distinctions that are not bothered with in the New World dialects (I know Mexican Spanish has dropped usage of the "vosotros" verb tenses, for example).

Then again, I may have been speaking with people who have limited vocabularies in Spanish, and made false assumptions. [Razz] (I will stand by my comment that lemons and limes are interchangeable in Mexican cuisine, though.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture