homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Sexual orientation (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Sexual orientation
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 17:14      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
wtF is this about doing minerasl ?!

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Doesn't everyone enjoy some rough uncut Topaz action?

ok I'm scaring myself.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 20:21      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I woudl really appreciate it more than two people would state they're opinion on the subject.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 20:24      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The genius* who was Freud expressed it best when he said humans are naturally "polymorphously perverse". Although Dr. Kinsey popularized the concept of sexual orientation being a bisexual continuum, Freud certainly believed it too.

Regardless of that, who or what you want to do it or not do it with is nobody's business but your own and theirs. Same thing with whatever labels you want to give yourself.

* in the context of his time and place

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 22:28      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gender is a continuum, not a bunch of discreet choices. So is sex. So is sexual orientation/attraction. Labels are kinda imprecise then, no?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 23:05      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've always said, girls are pretty to look at, no matter if you're a guy or a girl, you'll always enjoy the looks of a pretty woman [Wink]
Guys on the other side, have other qualities ;D

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2006 23:50      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst I consider myself strongly heterosexual, I do enjoy 'touch' in general. I'm a very touchy feely person, but now that I think about it, I really only give hugs/handshakes/etc to guys.

Perhaps this has something to do with my perpetual fear of offending women*, maybe not. I can admit when a guy is good looking, but I never find myself attracted to other men.

Just my $0.02 USD

*when it comes to their physical privacy; I can (and do) say very offensive things around women, and I can't seem to control myself. Perhaps I have tour... tour... toureFUCK, ASS!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 00:23      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I woudl really appreciate it more than two people would state they're opinion on the subject.

Translate into English, please.
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 00:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Listen, pal - we don't take kindly to strangers showing up just to slag everyone off.

Yeah...that's my job! [Big Grin]

This kid's posts have been rubbing me the wrong way lately, too. Ignore him completely, and perhaps he'll go away?

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 04:46      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, I've been homosexual, and now im heterosexual, but i've never been both.

In fact right now it's fair to say that I am a sadist more than I am a heterosexual.

But, I have mental health issues.

I agree with the idea that sexuality is a continuum.

Also, it's a shame you aren't into guys more since you are hot [weep]

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 08:17      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess if no one else is going to say it I'll have to:

Your all gay... and sophomoric, too.

Of course, that's not to say that those aren't the main charms of this often ridiculous and motely crew.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 08:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All joking and tongue-in-cheek aside (since some of us can't even realise when someone isn't being serious, *cough*)....

I am very secure in my sexuality. I have no problem saying to Amanda, "that's a good looking dude." -- the very thought of touching a guy any more than a handshake or hug at most turns my stomach a little, but I have no problem saying if a guy looks good. However, as far as I'm concerned, the male body, including (and especially) my own, is a disturbing sight that is awkward and weird looking.

The woman body is a beautiful, beautiful thing, however.

I realise my view my be entirely patriarchal, and based on my orientation, but almost every woman I know has no problem mentioning when she thinks another woman is pretty, and enjoys the sight of the female body (usually not their own though..)

Liking the look of a female doesn't make you gay. If you prefer a woman to a man, including the relationship part that comes with it, then you probably are.

Labelling it probably isn't necessary, as others have said, though. Just do what feels right, and fuck what the rest of the world thinks -- the only person you have to answer to is yourself.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 08:37      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, may as well throw my pennies in there as well. IMHO, love is love regardless of who the two people are. If you are interested in a girl, go for it. Like guys? Whatever. Labels are made to fit people in boxes, and frankly, who the hell wants to be shoved in a box? (That is not a pun!)

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 09:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Life's too short to worry about what other people think, worrying about what I think is especially silly, but since you asked...

If a consenting adult turns you on, go for it, if anyone gives you shit about it, invite them along for a threesome (and put the pictures on your web site).

And remember, labels are for clothes, not for people.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 10:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Your shirt is gay.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 11:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Cap'n Vic and Spungo

You are both well respected here by everyone, myself included. I aso like the fact that no discussion here, however serious is immune from smutty jokes and off topic idiocy, but I am more than a little surprised (and rather disappointed) at your absurdly aggressive and completely over the top reaction to one slightly ironic comment. I can't say that I have noticed this poster being snippy or hypercritical in other threads. Maybe I have missed something, but if I haven't I think you now owe him an apology. I would remind you that our esteemed leaders have asked us to play nicely.

Last thought - perhaps he did hit a nerve, maybe you both do need to grow up.

Here's the thing Calli, old what-his-name could have just said nothing but he didn't, and I stand by what I said so he won't be getting an apology.

Long before I stumbled into GC there had threads peppered with inuenndo, jokes, puns etc. I bet this with continue for a long time to come. In many cases the origional topic still does get discussed if posters see fit with the ocassional thread drift. Something you don't see on alot of other boards is the parallel threads interwoven into the main thread.....its kind of like the theme musak to GC....often predictable, often hilarious.

I think people have the ability to look through the under current of meme (is that plural?) like a screen door and see the actual discussion.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 16:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:

Hooray! I'm not a freshman anymore!

Does this mean I have a chance of getting a date now?!?

/me bounces around like a puppy that's been drinking bawls

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 18:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Your shirt is gay.
Shouldn't that be "You're shirt is gay" ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 07:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
garlicguy wrote:

Hooray! I'm not a freshman anymore!

Does this mean I have a chance of getting a date now?!?
Absolutely not!

/me bounces around like a puppy that's been drinking bawls
Oh balls! Did you say "BAWLS"!? What were you thinking, Steen? Now Druid, Zorro, Grummy, Serenak (where is old Serenak, BTW), Shadow, YaYaWoman, Cap'n Vic, Spungo and the gang are going to jump in with a whole bunch of ridiculous puns and then we'll have to endure another marathon.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 13:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Now Druid, Zorro, Grummy, Serenak (where is old Serenak, BTW), Shadow, YaYaWoman, Cap'n Vic, Spungo and the gang are going to jump in with a whole bunch of ridiculous puns and then we'll have to endure another marathon.

It's been a long time since us English had to endure a marathon - they made us fall into line with the rest of Europe, and now we have to endure a Snickers! [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 17:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy wrote:
Oh balls! Did you say "BAWLS"!? What were you thinking, Steen?

I was thinking it would be too obvious an opening if I said "lapping up" instead of drinking [evil]

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 18:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the topic at hand, I think magefile summed it up nicely with the line "Gender is a continuum, not a bunch of discreet choices."

You can choose to identify yourself with a label to try and make your preferences more easily explainable to others, but everyone has their own unique set of quirks and interests.

There are labels describe the most individual bits of my own complex mix of attractions and fetishes, but there is no one label that sums up my sexuality. I generally claim heterosexuality because, for the most part, I am, but I have had my moments when I find a man or an inanimate object (don't ask) to be very erotic.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 19:51      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Here's the thing Calli, old what-his-name could have just said nothing but he didn't, and I stand by what I said so he won't be getting an apology.

Long before I stumbled into GC there had threads peppered with inuenndo, jokes, puns etc. I bet this with continue for a long time to come. In many cases the origional topic still does get discussed if posters see fit with the ocassional thread drift. Something you don't see on alot of other boards is the parallel threads interwoven into the main thread.....its kind of like the theme musak to GC....often predictable, often hilarious.

I think people have the ability to look through the under current of meme (is that plural?) like a screen door and see the actual discussion.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

You misunderstand me. I do not object in the slightest to your jokes or the way threads wander, indeed the unpredictability of discussions here is what makes this place. After all we are not going to change the world, it's only the internet. But what I disliked is the way one sarcastically phrased remark sent you into full flame mode, and even when he replied to your abusive post very politely you flamed him again. That is boorish behaviour and you ought to know better. Replying to a post that (quite accurately) stated that our humour is often rather adolescent by acting like a playground bully rather reinforced his point, don't you think? All you needed to say was something along the lines of your reply to me or perhaps more succinctly that you'd rather be immature and adolescent than a pompous twat.

I also do not buy dnfm's justification that it was tongue in cheek. That you were overbearing, patronising, and highly insulting in an extremely witty and very accomplished way in no way makes that sort of behaviour acceptable. For me the acid test is whether you would speak like that to him like that if you were face to face, rather than tapping at your keyboard, and I rather doubt you would.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2006 21:11      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For me the acid test is whether you would speak like that to him like that if you were face to face, rather than tapping at your keyboard, and I rather doubt you would.

But this isn't face to face, and that's part of what makes this community (and the internet as a whole) what it is. Common sense on the internet dictates that you don't scold the oldtimers for acting as they always have in a forum that has been shaped by said actions. At least, not unless you're also a regular.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2006 03:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
But this isn't face to face, and that's part of what makes this community (and the internet as a whole) what it is. Common sense on the internet dictates that you don't scold the oldtimers for acting as they always have in a forum that has been shaped by said actions. At least, not unless you're also a regular.

On the contrary, one of the things I like about this place is that we try to treat people with the consideration we would give them in person, and I prefer to judge acts on their own merits. Nobody should be immune from criticism.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2006 04:35      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:

On the contrary, one of the things I like about this place is that we try to treat people with the consideration we would give them in person, and I prefer to judge acts on their own merits. Nobody should be immune from criticism.
I've been happier to lurk for a very long time without posting but recently I decided I wanted to stick around and perhaps even post. I missed the place but the reason I missed this place because its one of those few places where people don't feel the need to be better than thou. And honestly, I didn't care much for Ashitaka's remark. And I would have said something but was prolly just to lazy to type.
My point is that this board although quite unlike real life in some ways still does mirror it. In the sense that anything that involves people coming together in any form or fashion, will result in unsaid or fairly well defined hierarchies. This exists on geek culture and while I don't really approve of the whole hierarchy thing. its a social construct and it will, nay has to happen. And while the reaction from the rather senior member of the board might have been over the top, it should have not come as a major surprise. Correct me if I am wrong, but hierarchies don't like to be upset.
It's like knocking over the top of a perfectly unbalanced arrangement which just formed over time. You might end up knocking over the whole thing.
Personally, I don't think there should be a need to kow tow to the elders as it were but I believe that perhaps everyone should tone down the "chest thumping, Me, bigger, better, asshole" attitude. It's what once caused the older ones on the board to leave in the first place.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture