homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » No such thing as a geek girl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No such thing as a geek girl
comicgeek
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4978

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted March 14, 2006 13:29      Profile for comicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm now officially of the oppinion that there are no geek girls in Leeds anymore. Let alone any nice ones. There used to be,I used to date a very nice chemistry geek girl, but that was a long time ago now. They've all dissappeared into the Ether. If you are out there get in touch!!!
Posts: 1 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 14:28      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are loads of them! I'm from Bradford, personally, and not volunteering myself... but I do know that there are many, many geekettes in and around Leeds. I'm friends with a number of them.

There's a cool little sci-fi store in the town centre... just opposite Alders, on the main road that's at right angles to Briggate (the name fails me at the moment, but if you know Leeds, you'll know it). I would highly recommend taking a peek in there. And try hanging around The Corn Exchange for a bit. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you meander in the weird little sculpture garden outside the main University building, you can find lots of uni age geekettes there, too. Plus, look in all the usual places (bookshops, coffee shops, etc). Leeds is in no short supply of those.

Plus, our very own snupy is now a resident of Leeds, I believe. Or, at least, will be very soon. Rumour has it she is very happily taken, though [Big Grin] .

Good luck!

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 16:58      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a substantial number hanging around, I'm pretty sure of it. I second skylar in the "little sci-fi store" recommendation, IIRC it's a Forbiden Planet. There's also a comic book and such store that used to be in the passage way to the left and forwards of the exit from Games Workshop (though I think it had moved the last time I was home - the new place was advertised in the window?). If you can't find it try asking in Forbidden Planet (top floor of the Corn Exchange), or in the comic and general random stuff store near AMF. Or even jusrt stay in those places. And yes, lots of coffee shops and a huge Borders to lurk. [Smile]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 11:44      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If geeky chicks are a rarity around your parts, and you show up at a comic book store and start hitting on them, that's an excellent guarantee that you'll never see girls in that store again.

Just FYI and all.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 12:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
If geeky chicks are a rarity around your parts,

When I first glanced at this, the rt in part made me see 'pants'.

Funny, it still works if you replace parts with pants. [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 14:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
If geeky chicks are a rarity around your parts,

When I first glanced at this, the rt in part made me see 'pants'.

Funny, it still works if you replace parts with pants. [Razz]

And it's still funny if you keep it 100% intact but read it with a dirty mind. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 01:03      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry i am all the way in Chester, but i know there are a couple of great ones up here if you would not mind traveling.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 04:57      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out the local university - Computer science, chemistry, physics, and engineering faculties usually have a nice selection of geeky girls.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2006 15:02      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
check out the local university - Computer science, chemistry, physics, and engineering faculties usually have a nice selection of geeky girls.

Hey your right about the Computer Science departments, but now I have to check out the Chemistry Departments [Big Grin] . I definately love a brainy girl. Too bad the one I wanted was taken.

Maybe the H2S04 Joke will work to bring the chem geeks out of hiding.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 13:02      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone has taken my advice!!!!!! Good luck with that Maggs!!!!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 15:38      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:

This sure isn't true in my university. We don't have a male-female ratio in computer science, because you can't divide by 0.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 16:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
This sure isn't true in my university. We don't have a male-female ratio in computer science, because you can't divide by 0.

I can divide by 0. As can Vin Diesel.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 07:57      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:

I can divide by 0. As can Vin Diesel.
Vin Diesel can come over and multiply with me, any day.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2006 20:13      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do exist, believe it or not. Depending on your definition of "geek girl" and your set of standards, your odds of finding one can range from about one in four all the way to one in <insert world's current female population.>

PS: Stop whining and go do something about it instead. If I managed to beat one in a million odds, anybody else can as well.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orahiko
Newbie Larva
Member # 4406

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2006 16:52      Profile for orahiko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. If you're looking for a tech girl, or someone more interested in comics, or both, etc, then just pick spots you'd like to hang out in.
Posts: 5 | From: waste land | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2006 00:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:

PS: Stop whining and go do something about it instead. If I managed to beat one in a million odds, anybody else can as well.

Just as a "point of order"

If you "beat" the one in a million odds, That means 999,999 others didn't. So maybe you should say, "if I managed to beat one in a million odds, you can as well"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
FMdoll
Newbie Larva
Member # 5145

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 12:29      Profile for FMdoll   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are a substantial number hanging around, I'm pretty sure of it. I second skylar in the "little sci-fi store" recommendation, IIRC it's a Forbiden Planet. There's also a comic book and such store that used to be in the passage way to the left and forwards of the exit from Games Workshop (though I think it had moved the last time I was home - the new place was advertised in the window?). If you can't find it try asking in Forbidden Planet (top floor of the Corn Exchange), or in the comic and general random stuff store near AMF. Or even jusrt stay in those places. And yes, lots of coffee shops and a huge Borders to lurk
You Live In Leeds!
Woah! Forbidden Planet is suhweet...
And I remember when it was free comic book day that time in the corn exchange...
I go to Leeds alot...
Also it is not Forbidden Planet in the Corn Exchange its 'Travelling Man'.

Posts: 7 | From: Bradford (England) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture