homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Is email acceptable? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is email acceptable?
ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:11      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to ask this one girl to go see The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe this friday, but I can never seem to get her alone from her friends. I'm hoping to see her around campus today or tomorrow, but emailing her might be easier. My goal isn't to be real romantic or anything like that. So would asking her through an email ok?

--------------------
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Posts: 62 | From: Armpit of America | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does she have to be alone to ask?
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:41      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't ask her with other people around, what make's you think you can talk to her alone. Just ask her. Hell, ask her friends to come as well. She's going to tell all her friends about the email anyway, so you might as well get it in the open quickly.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:43      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DAMN GOOD POINT! Just walk up to her. Strike up a conversation or if you are already in one and just say, "Oh, Hey, By the way. You wanna go to the show this weekend?" Real smooth like and you'll be in like flint.
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
DAMN GOOD POINT! Just walk up to her. Strike up a conversation or if you are already in one and just say, "Oh, Hey, By the way. You wanna go to the show this weekend?" Real smooth like and you'll be in like flint.

And out like acid washed jeans.
And back in.
out.
in.
out.

... oh dear.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 10:51      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that after only 3 replies there is a consenus about what to do. Next time I see her, I'll just ask, friends or no friends. Thanks.

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 15:37      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And out like acid washed jeans.
And back in.
out.
in.
out.

... oh dear.

wow...I took that to a whole other meaning... [Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 16:49      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I realized I would be in the lab all week working on p-chem, I decided to pick up the phone and give her a call. P-chem truly does rule my life now.

Oh yeah, she said yes.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 22:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qapla'!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 16:19      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Email (and phones, for that matter) are great for aksing your buddies to go have a beer with you. If you're trying to ask that girl out, do it in person.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 16:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
Email (and phones, for that matter) are great for aksing your buddies to go have a beer with you. If you're trying to ask that girl out, do it in person.

Good general principle, but I wouldn't feel that it has to be that way every time. If the girl is an online nut, she may well be quite happy being asked out over the 'net. YMMV...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 17:38      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really tend to prefer asking in person, it was just an ackward moment when all of her friends were there. Just had to be there, I guess. It all worked out in the end, so the details dont really matter at this point.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 18:01      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChemGeek:
I really tend to prefer asking in person, it was just an ackward moment when all of her friends were there. Just had to be there, I guess. It all worked out in the end, so the details dont really matter at this point.

Indeed. Actually, that reminds me of a situation last week where I was out with some friends, there's me, another guy, and two girls. Now this guy wants to hook up with one of the girls, but doesn't want to do it with us other people around. So he spends the whole night not hooking up with her until it comes to home time. Then they manage to spend some alone time together and finally hook up. Funny stuff (when you're not the one who's nerves are being wracked)...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 04:50      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not be impressed if somebody asked me out through email, or any other non-realtime means. It demonstrates gutlessness. Instant messenger is only slightly better, with a phone call ranking above it, and in person being the best.

Besides, don't you want to see her reaction so you can gauge how it's going to go?

Wick
Mini Geek
Member # 4608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 07:39      Profile for Wick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I would not be impressed if somebody asked me out through email, or any other non-realtime means. It demonstrates gutlessness. Instant messenger is only slightly better, with a phone call ranking above it, and in person being the best.

Besides, don't you want to see her reaction so you can gauge how it's going to go?

Hmmm, I see nothing wrong with asking by email. Email allows more honesty imo. The person being asked can have time to think it over, rather than speaking based on pressure.

gutless? *shurgs* Perhaps...

--------------------
-= "There comes a time in a man's life when he must roll the dice and except the outcome" =-

Posts: 80 | From: OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 09:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a girl, I would not be offended by being asked out on a date by e-mail, if you also spoke with me face to face regularly.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 09:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
As a girl, I would not be offended by being asked out on a date by e-mail, if you also spoke with me face to face regularly.

*deletes e-mail asking aditu out on a date*
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 13:26      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wick:
Hmmm, I see nothing wrong with asking by email. Email allows more honesty imo. The person being asked can have time to think it over, rather than speaking based on pressure.

gutless? *shurgs* Perhaps...

I'm giving you my honest opinion as a woman who's been asked out via email more than once, and I've always sent back an email saying, "I might've said yes if you'd picked up the phone." It gives me a low opinion; if you don't have the balls to walk up and ask me out, without having to turn it over in your head, edit, delete, and use your thesaurus, then what kind of spontaneity can I expect to see later on?
ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 17:03      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats why I picked up the phone. It went over well too.

--------------------

shane_the_god_of_my_room
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4709

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 17:18      Profile for shane_the_god_of_my_room   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it when a plan comes together [evil]

--------------------
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Posts: 33 | From: Wakefield UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 17:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm giving you my honest opinion as a woman who's been asked out via email more than once, and I've always sent back an email saying, "I might've said yes if you'd picked up the phone." It gives me a low opinion; if you don't have the balls to walk up and ask me out, without having to turn it over in your head, edit, delete, and use your thesaurus, then what kind of spontaneity can I expect to see later on?

But I don't _have_ your phone number, what am I meant to do? [Wink]

(damn, you're in that other country too [Wink] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 21:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me looks for his phone... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 06:26      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Book a flight and ask either dpi or dman for it.

(I think I might be involved, though. It's that nebulous point after the first couple of dates where you're not sure if you should still be out nailing other people, so you're playing it safe and totally sexually frustrated. Why do we put ourselves through this? [Razz] )

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 11:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

(I think I might be involved, though. It's that nebulous point after the first couple of dates where you're not sure if you should still be out nailing other people, so you're playing it safe and totally sexually frustrated. Why do we put ourselves through this? [Razz] )

Oh, that's a shame - poor dragon. With dragonthene gone, we could definitely another round of dragonthenes around here [Wink]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2005 12:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
quote:
quote:

Oh, that's a shame - poor dragon. With dragonthene gone, we could definitely another round of dragonthenes around here [Wink]
Haha...cute. I'm not even sure where to begin with that comment, so I'm going to stay in a bit of dazed state now. At least I didn't get up until after 11 today. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture