homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » How to hit on geeks (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to hit on geeks
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 03:03      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tried and tested method from my days working at the local hole-in-the-wall used bookstore:

Say hello and smile when you spot him, then back off and "do work" unless they ask for help. When they come up to the counter, make conversation stemming from either what they're buying, or something about them. I used to throw around the old "You have very striking eyes" line when it applied. Ring them up. The hook to the line: write something brief, followed by your email address, on his receipt before you hand it back to him, seperately from his item so that he won't accidentally miss it and throw it out. Smile. "Have a nice day."

I swear it works like a fucking charm. [Razz]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 12:07      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now over to the Department of Oldies-But-Goldies:

http://www.neystadt.org/john/humor/Girls-Guide-To-Geek-Guys.htm

Thank you and goodnight

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 20:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
My tried and tested method from my days working at the local hole-in-the-wall used bookstore:

Say hello and smile when you spot him, then back off and "do work" unless they ask for help. When they come up to the counter, make conversation stemming from either what they're buying, or something about them. I used to throw around the old "You have very striking eyes" line when it applied. Ring them up. The hook to the line: write something brief, followed by your email address, on his receipt before you hand it back to him, seperately from his item so that he won't accidentally miss it and throw it out. Smile. "Have a nice day."

I swear it works like a fucking charm. [Razz]

I may be a bit clueless at times, but I have a feeling that would work on me perfectly. [Razz]

A bookstore?! *swoon*

hey-U: Heh...cute - I've never seen that before, actually.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 21:17      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Why are you so ticked off tonight?

He gets a little snippy once in a while, maybe too much/too little sugar/coffee.
Too little caffeine and too much work usually. The dragon's blood sugar is, as far as I could tell when we were dating, stable. [Razz]

Chances are, he wasn't even feeling snippy though. Just a wee bit startled. You, Rhonnie, are the last person anyone would expect to be posting about Burt Reynolds naked.

This bullshit tasteless analysis of dman's psyche was brought to you by Xanthine, the weary lab rat. All flames may be directed at her. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 21:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he wasn't nekkid.... he were wearing boxer shorts! [Eek!]

(And no, I don't like to see undressed men... or women; you're right about that, Xanthine!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 07:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Why are you so ticked off tonight?

He gets a little snippy once in a while, maybe too much/too little sugar/coffee.
Too little caffeine and too much work usually. The dragon's blood sugar is, as far as I could tell when we were dating, stable. [Razz]

Chances are, he wasn't even feeling snippy though. Just a wee bit startled. You, Rhonnie, are the last person anyone would expect to be posting about Burt Reynolds naked.

This bullshit tasteless analysis of dman's psyche was brought to you by Xanthine, the weary lab rat. All flames may be directed at her. [Wink]

You're dead on Xanthine. [Smile] It was a reaction of "Rhonwyyn said what?!"

/me puts on "When the President Talks to God" [Smile]
</random>
('twas an iTMS Free Song of the Week a bit back)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 10:40      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I HAVE A DATE!!!!!!! I was talking to a customer that comes in occasionally about various things and mentioned Cowboy Bebop. The hottest comic book nerd that comes in happened to be looking at the racks and turned with a look of pleasure and surprise on his face. I disposed of the other guy as quickly as possible and talked to my hot nerd for about an hour and a half. WOW. He's amazing, we have everything in common, and wow. We're going to see Constantine tonight, could be a total failure, but who knows? We even ran into each other this morning both wearing Legend of Zelda t-shirts, how perfect! Oh, happiness.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 11:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] Zim'et [thumbsup]

Good luck!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the time I've posted this you are probably on your date...

So assuming you read it after the date, hope it went well...

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go get 'em, Tiger! And even if the guy turns out to be not so great, at least you're getting to see Constantine, which I've really got high hopes for. [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 19:02      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semi-thread-hijack:

I used Demosthenes' advice today, in a way. In class today, the cute geek I sit next to was asking me about APA formatting on our papers. We were discussing it, but didn't have enough time, so I slipped him a piece of paper with my name/email addy/phone number on it and told him to contact me 'for help'. [Razz] We shall see....

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 22:59      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whooooo! This thread is heating up!!! [hearts]

Whoooooo!!! Fire shoots from my navel! [devil wand]

Best of luck to all you risk takers! Meeting someone new is the ultimate high. Better than the Reddiwip cans. Lots better.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 05:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Semi-thread-hijack:

I used Demosthenes' advice today, in a way. In class today, the cute geek I sit next to was asking me about APA formatting on our papers. We were discussing it, but didn't have enough time, so I slipped him a piece of paper with my name/email addy/phone number on it and told him to contact me 'for help'. [Razz] We shall see....

Hey, BW, can I sit next to you in class next time [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 05:47      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Hey, BW, can I sit next to you in class next time [Wink]

csk, all you have to do is ask. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 07:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 10:51am EST, and she hasn't returned! Maybe it means she's still in bed... [Wink]

[devil wand] [devil wand] [devil wand]

That's awesome either way for both of you guys. WE WANT DETAILS! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 16:50      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
That's awesome either way for both of you guys. WE WANT DETAILS! [Big Grin]

So long as Burt Reynolds or the like isn't involved.

Best of luck, both of you.

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 21:47      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG. What can I even say. I'm on cloud nine. This is the epitome of geek happiness. I am officially twitterpated beyond all reasonable means. Yah. That's all I have to say about that...

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 22:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoorah for Zim'et and friend! May this blossom and grow! [thumbsup]

Um, er.. that is... Would you mind giving us a little review on Constantine? Not details, just your opinion: good, bad, *Great*???? [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 22:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zim'et:
OMG. What can I even say. I'm on cloud nine. This is the epitome of geek happiness. I am officially twitterpated beyond all reasonable means. Yah. That's all I have to say about that...

Where have you been all night young lady. I have been up all night worried sick. Go to your room and we will talk about this in the morning.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 06:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me for being the perv in cap'ns place, bu did ya get any?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 12:37      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlicguy: you think she was watching the movie?
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 13:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Garlicguy: you think she was watching the movie?

Well if the guy is really a geek, yeah. There's always time for popcorn *after* the movie. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 15:45      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is really a geek, we snuggled, but nothing gets in the way of my movies. No, I didn't get any... yet. I had to get up the next morning. The movie was okay. If you read the comic a few things are disappointing, the ending in particular (but only the last shot), and Neo actually did a pretty good job of capturing that "I'm a dirty a**hole, but that's really *your* problem" John Constantine thing. Yah, great date, good movie, and a new boyfriend. We totally hit it off. So, thanks for all the support and advice. Go see Constantine! It's a fine adaptation.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture