homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Ok, so where *does* one meet the geeks? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ok, so where *does* one meet the geeks?
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 17:06      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aves Corax:
This might be a good place to start. I've never been much of an IRC person, but I did have some good times in the GC channels.

Thank you so very much.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 09, 2004 17:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Black Widow (and everyone else), join us in #joyoftech! [Smile]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
angiek47
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3068

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 18:40      Profile for angiek47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
Where could they be? Does anyone know any geeks out there? I'm stumped. [Confused]

I'm joking with you. You could try Geek Culture forums you can find a link to that site here

Oh BTW

-

And welcome [Big Grin]

LOL. Of course, I did mean in that world that exists outside of the compute, too. Oh, what am I talking about. I spend all day on a computer, mostly online. There's life outside of this? You've got to be kidding me. [Wink]

I'm super online, I have just a bit of fear talking to people face to face.

[Wink]

cheers,
ak

angiek47
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3068

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 18:57      Profile for angiek47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double post, double post! Sorry! I hate being the one who double posts. Hit reply too quickly...

Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
"Well, in my experience of the theatre biz here in oz, it's full of geeks.

But then I was working with stage and lighting techs, so maybe I met a biased sample."

Well, I am a techie. I know all the other techs, so there's not much use looking there. We're all too much friends first (or are taken).

Student groups? Indeed. UT has over 800. I do fear the "You're at a meeting for the gaming guild, want to hang out, and are female? Huh?" look. Surprisingly I still get it.

Coffee shops? Libraries? Indeed. Any good ideas for opening lines that will work while not making mad from being interrupted from study? [Wink]

Cheers!
ak

Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 19:58      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Huh? The LAN parties I've been to, we've been lucky to stop playing games to eat, let alone notice if any females are hanging about.

I'm under the impression that this tends to happen before the gaming starts, and then again at the breaks. But at the only LAN parties I've been two with females present, they were the wives, fiances and girlfriends of the geeks and were going on shopping trips with the wife of the host.

quote:
Originally posted by angiek47:

Coffee shops? Libraries? Indeed. Any good ideas for opening lines that will work while not making mad from being interrupted from study? [Wink]

Alright, dress up like a geek and be pretty. One of my exes pulls this off beautifully with the "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" shirt I bought her. If you're having trouble with the part about being pretty, you're probably just like a lot of the girls I know who are way too modest because the boys they hang out with don't give them enough compliments. Just smile and look like you're having a good time existing. All of that crap people spew about how guys should just try to look confident, amiable and healthy is actually true, and it works just as well for girls.

The fact that a nice young woman like yourself is talking to J. Random Geek will get his attention, and the t-shirt +1 (+5 vs. AD&D players) bypasses whatever elaborate alarm systems his subconscious has developed to go off when girls talk.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Legolasiel
Newbie Larva
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 19:52      Profile for Legolasiel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new...and am having no luck finding a sweet geek that has time for me. I tried Libraries, but I can't do more then smile at a guy, I'm alittle shy. Since most of the guys I'm attracted to are shy as well, I swear there is no hope. I live near Seattle, and don't drive... makes getting to the big city a bit difficult. I'm also looking for a D&D gaming group if anyone on here plays in my area.

--------------------
"Tonight, you arrested my mind, when you came to my defense. With a knife, in the shape of your mouth, in the form of your body, with the wrath of a god." - Gavin DeGraw

Posts: 5 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 13, 2004 21:49      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Legolasiel:
Hi, I'm new...and am having no luck finding a sweet geek that has time for me. I tried Libraries, but I can't do more then smile at a guy, I'm alittle shy. Since most of the guys I'm attracted to are shy as well, I swear there is no hope. I live near Seattle, and don't drive... makes getting to the big city a bit difficult. I'm also looking for a D&D gaming group if anyone on here plays in my area.

This requires a shade more background. Do you attend High School, or a College? Either way, watch out for flyers, and perhaps peek into rooms late at night or at lunch (depending on your institution). We're subtle, but not invisible.

Living in the Seattle area gives you a marvelous opportunity in the form of Wizards of the Coast. I did a retailer search on your city, and found little what I would call 'suitable', however, in Seattle major there are all multitude of retail outlets, and there should be some Wizards branded stores, as well. I can 99.32% assure you that there will be geeks/nerds at those locales.

Be careful, though...some of them may have never seen a girl before. [Wink]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2004 23:34      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Board the Clipper in seattle, come to Victoria, we'll have some caffeine and chat.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 04:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<wwcvd>
get naked
offer beer
</wwcvd>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 14, 2004 06:26      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:
Living in the Seattle area gives you a marvelous opportunity in the form of Wizards of the Coast. I did a retailer search on your city, and found little what I would call 'suitable', however, in Seattle major there are all multitude of retail outlets, and there should be some Wizards branded stores, as well.

It's so sad that WOTC is going out of business [Frown] And the formerly-fantabulous GameWorks in Seattle has become quite mainstream and overrun with radio stations that promote slutty theme nights and the humping of mechanical bulls. Ah well, I have Star Wars Trilogy at the Center Funhouse, so I'm good for now. Maybe I'll buy it someday [hearts] ...

Legolasiel:

Seattle's a nice place for geeks, but it is hard to find them, like anywhere else. The new Seattle library will be great for 'surverying' but not for getting any more than you've already obtained. You might try the computer and electronics stores in or near the Seattle area. I personally like the CompUSA fellows (Mountlake Terrace, I believe.. I dunno, I consider it Seattle borderline). The P.I. tells me a Fry's Electronics just opened in Renton, so you'll want to check that out too.

I'll also give you a personal reference. If you can get directions for 1403 NE 50th St., Seattle, 98105 you'll find The Grand Illusion Cinema . You'll notice that it's attached to a cafe, and therefore allows you to bring in any food and/or drink you choose [Smile] . I'm not sure what the daytime/evening venue(s) would fetch: a really ecclectic batch that favour the foreign film genre, I suppose. But the Late Nites would definitely attract flocks of geeks - they show 80's stuff, like "West World", "Weird Science", and "Flash Gordon." You being able to attend those, though, depends on your home life values and school schedule, since they typically start at 11pm. University Way also has an RPG gaming session store... Not sure if they have D&D, but I know they've got Halo.

So goodluck in your search. OH! And did you happen to go to the recent RingCon in Seattle?

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Legolasiel
Newbie Larva
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 13:27      Profile for Legolasiel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I didn't go to Ring Con... I'm poor. Hehehe Actually my Fiance at the time didn't want to go. Too expensive. Anyway, I don't drive, so it will difficult for me to go to these places, but I'll try. I'm taking online classes, one class at a time. I work about 30 hours a week, but am too shy to ask out customers. mostly I don't find myself attractive, I'm overweight, but working on it. I've been working out 6 days a week for an hour a day, lost 35 lbs so far, 80 more to go. Basically I want to find a swwet geek, that has a big sexual appetite. [Wink] What's the sore with the role playing? That might be worth the bus trip. I've been to Fry's they are morans, never going back. Anyway, I need to get ready for work, oh and late night things work well for me, since I get off work around 11pm. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully it proves to be useful. [Smile]

--------------------
"Tonight, you arrested my mind, when you came to my defense. With a knife, in the shape of your mouth, in the form of your body, with the wrath of a god." - Gavin DeGraw

Posts: 5 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2004 17:36      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
It's so sad that WOTC is going out of business

*googles*

[Eek!]

Well, dammit, no wonder I couldn't find a retail store locator on their site... [Frown]

Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 15, 2004 00:34      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's odd, are there still some flourishing where you live? I heard that they were only going to be marketing RPG-related items off their website .

quote:
What's the store with the role playing? That might be worth the bus trip.

I don't know the actual address. When you get to the cinema, though, go South and it should be somewhere on the other side of the street. I remember it being unobtrusive, but that's in relation to every other store on University Way.

quote:
I've been to Fry's they are morans, never going back.
I've never seen, let alone been inside of, a Fry's. The reporters just made it sound good enough to visit, as per usual. *shrug*

About RingCon: yeah, I thought it was a bit pricey as well, but I know I could've met some neato geeks [Frown] . I did find a few Hobbits at the annual Renaissance Fantasy Faire, but they were too concerned with hiding under their hoods to want to talk to me.

klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 15, 2004 07:46      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of online dating services out there. But, places like match.com, etc. charge $24.95 a month for full membership. That's a bit steep for some of us.

We need to get all our single geek buds together at one place so they can chat and get to know one another. It is easier to overcome the shyness when you meet someone online first.

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT -- Read no further if you can't dig it...

I do some contract work for a new company called DirectMatches.com. I ended up joining with a couple of my writing friends and we use the awesome chat area for writing round-robins every once in awhile. On top of that, I made a business contact through DirectMatches and got more contract work! (goody for me!)

It has photo, audio and video management. Also, web-based IM, message boards, and chat rooms. You can set up a Romance, friendship, and business profile, all three.

You can join for free and if you want to have full membership priviledges, it is only $9.95 per month!

So...this is my idea: Have all our single friends post a profile and turn them loose on each other. Then, sit back and enjoy the IQ enhanced fireworks, while grinning behind our hands and denying all responsibility for getting them together. [Wink]

Here's the link: DirectMatches.com

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 21:50      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Angie!

Where do you meet geeks! Where do you meet Geeks!

Holy Dr. John Atanosof! You ask, "Where do you meet Geeks?!"

What are you doing during the ALL Star Trek and X-Files festival on channel 29 this Thanksgiving?

I'm ISO 9002 certified, and I promise, I always wear pocket protection!

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 22:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
I don't know the actual address. When you get to the cinema, though, go South and it should be somewhere on the other side of the street. I remember it being unobtrusive, but that's in relation to every other store on University Way.

Bloody hell. It's on the tip of my brain. I know exactly the place you're talking about and for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Way off topic, but has anyone ever figured out why University Way is called "The Ave"?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 03:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by klynn:
Here's the link: DirectMatches.com

Ya know - my grievance with most of these sites is that there's never enough hags. Where's all the Picasso types? Someone oughtta make a 'desperate mingers' website, where wonky-faced knuckle-draggers can meet each other.

Male (yeah, right!) seeks female (or thereabouts) for dull encounters of cocoa and radio 4, to enjoy mutual fascination with butchery implements, and with the eventual prospect of degrading intimacy...

That sort of thing! [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 16:04      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the coffee shop nearest the University. Or the local used book stores. I always meet really interesting people at used book stores.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 18, 2004 16:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on yer Spungo

Not only did this thread *really* need that, but man did that one make I Laugh Out Loud...

How about Mingers Seek Mongs
(Yo - it is so unPC we might actually swing it man...)

or maybe "Primates Seeking Prime Mates"?

Whadda ya think? Possible big cash mutha?...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 17:07      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't meet geeks.
I hide in a cave with 47 computers and an internet feed.
I cloister myself to get away from the terrifying human race.

I am on a quest to become one with the maschine.

Errr. Anyway, geek-hunting reeks of desperation. Let your person of the desired gender stumble into your life, instead of crashing peoples' D&D games and collecting dust amongst the public library's math books in the hopes that someone will notice you.

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 17:17      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
You can't meet geeks.
I hide in a cave with 47 computers and an internet feed.
I cloister myself to get away from the terrifying human race.

I am on a quest to become one with the maschine.

Do you eat? Because if not, tell me how.

quote:
Errr. Anyway, geek-hunting reeks of desperation. Let your person of the desired gender stumble into your life, instead of crashing peoples' D&D games and collecting dust amongst the public library's math books in the hopes that someone will notice you.
I don't know about that, sometimes it doesn't hurt to go a'questing. Who doesn't love a good quest?

Non-RPG geeks, probably. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 18:25      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know about that, sometimes it doesn't hurt to go a'questing. Who doesn't love a good quest?

I'm not going on any quest that won't give me experience and a priceless family heirloom I can pawn at the nearest merchant for ale-and-whores money.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 18, 2004 18:44      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Way off topic, but has anyone ever figured out why University Way is called "The Ave"?

Maybe because it's more of an Avenue (broad road) than just a Way? A Way is just a road.. an Avenue is a broad roadway. It stands out more than its surrounding roads. Maybe the state thought it deserved a name change...

But maybe it has something to do with New York? (starts at Post 9)

You know what that means - Al-Qaeda's going crash a plane into the Space Needle! Secure the area! Be on the lookout for any mothers with breast milk! Be sure to check every orifice within a 5-mile radius for good measure! ATTACK ON AMERICA! RED ALERT, RED ALERT!!

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 23:17      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do you eat? Because if not, tell me how.

No.
Too broke to eat.
Survive off of pan-fried dust bunnies and radiation.

Food was easy. Still trying to kick cigarettes. [Razz]

ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:15      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be off topic a little, but here goes. I meet and know plenty of geeks, some of which I wouldn't mind asking out. The problem is that they are all in the chemistry department. Asking someone out would be akin to asking out your sister. Problem is that I really like one of them of them. Any ideas?

--------------------
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Posts: 62 | From: Armpit of America | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture