homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Ok, so where *does* one meet the geeks? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ok, so where *does* one meet the geeks?
angiek47
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3068

Icon 5 posted November 08, 2004 14:04      Profile for angiek47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so as a geeky theatre major I don't have the opportunity to lurk around the compu-sci/math/physics geeks at my university. So where *does* one meet the geeky guys (or gals)? Is there any really good online personals site? (Besides Peer 2 Peer) How does one geek girl find a geek guy?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 14:21      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where could they be? Does anyone know any geeks out there? I'm stumped. [Confused]

I'm joking with you. You could try Geek Culture forums you can find a link to that site here

Oh BTW

-

And welcome [Big Grin]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 15:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start frequenting the cafeteria/food stand near the physics, engineering, math, or comp sci buildings. Even geeks need to eat.

Otherwise, I dunno...meeting geeks happens in random places and at random times. I met a very nice geek here on GC. Too bad the distance thing mangled the relationship.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm...a new thread? I can see it now:

"SWFG ISO SWMG (G=geek/ette) for IM romance, possibly more. Must be able to code in PERL and C++...."

I dunno. =/

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Hrm...a new thread? I can see it now:

"SWFG ISO SWMG (G=geek/ette) for IM romance, possibly more. Must be able to code in PERL and C++...."

I dunno. =/

There's an ISO standard for geeks now?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:17      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
There's an ISO standard for geeks now?

/sigh

I hope you're being sarcastic....

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, just funny (well I hoped)

Does ISO in your post stand for "is seeking other"? I haven't had a lot of experience with personals acronyms.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet Stalker Of ? [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's "in search of". I used to have a roommate who always called personals in the local free paper and even put out an ad. And she wondered why she could never meet nice men. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 17:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I think it's "in search of". I used to have a roommate who always called personals in the local free paper and even put out an ad. And she wondered why she could never meet nice men. [Roll Eyes]

Well, why couldn't she? Unless the whole concept of personals ads is fundamentally flawed.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 18:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The free paper isn't the classiest place to meet someone, just look at some of their ads. (She used the "spicy personals" section.)

And I'm sure the fact that she was divorced, neurotic, and had joint custody of two very active children didn't help either. And she kept whining to me about how she didn't want to rush into a physical relationship then ended up in bed with the guy after two dates.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 18:20      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try joining some organization on campus that might have geeks in it. I don't know what your college has, but my high school has Model United Nations, and I am sure that there must be some club that you might be able to find other geeks at.

-Mongoose

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 18:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why on earth did she use the "spicy personals" section, and not just the standard one? Goodness, me, some people are naive.

Look, here's a nice guy for her [Wink] She could go over and fix his shift key for him.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 18:50      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Look, here's a nice guy for her [Wink] She could go over and fix his shift key for him.

Actually, I think it's his CAPS lock key that needs to be fixed! [Big Grin]

And just because he's singing Karaoke doesn't mean he's a geek. We single geekettes want a single true geek guy...they are the best. [Wink]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 18:59      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Actually, I think it's his CAPS lock key that needs to be fixed!

If that was the case, he'd just press it off. Give him some credit, his shift key is probably stuck, and he doesn't know how to free it [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 19:11      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If that was the case, he'd just press it off. Give him some credit, his shift key is probably stuck, and he doesn't know how to free it [Smile]

Look at the guy. He's probably got beer, Cheetos, or /shiver bodily fluids built up in his keyboard that's making the key stick!
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 19:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, SO THAT"S HOW YOU FIX IT> THANKS"I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THAT [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2004 19:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angiek47:
Okay, so as a geeky theatre major I don't have the opportunity to lurk around the compu-sci/math/physics geeks at my university. So where *does* one meet the geeky guys (or gals)?

Well, in my experience of the theatre biz here in oz, it's full of geeks.

But then I was working with stage and lighting techs, so maybe I met a biased sample [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 09, 2004 08:03      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm living in the heart of the American deep south. I can't find any cool geeks through the storm of huge trucks and four-wheelers [Razz] [ohwell]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 15:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
I'm living in the heart of the American deep south. I can't find any cool geeks through the storm of huge trucks and four-wheelers [Razz] [ohwell]

Now wait a minute, I hope you meant that you can't find any cool male geeks that are not already spoken for. [Wink] After all, I estimate that I live only about 2 hours away from your house. I do know there are a few single cool geeky males hanging around. Check out the university libraries, computer labs, coffee shops with wifi access, etc. You'll find them, you just have to target your search area carefully.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:08      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch the bulletin boards for any postings about LAN parties. Great place to find Geek Guys...just don't be surprised if you get swarmed... [Wink]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:40      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so this might be a little OT for this thread, but do the members here frequent a particular channel on IRC? [Confused]
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:48      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Libraries and book stores, roleplaying gaming sessions... meh, you work in theater. Just ask the techies.

And do NOT go to a LAN party unless you're already aquainted with the people there. If you have any visible secondary sex characteristics, you WILL get hit on by swarms of guys. There may be plenty of dashing young men, but there are also more than enough that embody the Revenge of the Nerds stereotype. Seriously. Before forming a chess club in high school, I thought that all geeks had discovered hygene by now.

Alright, alright, it's not really that bad. We're a vastly underrated group of guys that tend to be much more adept in dealing with the fairer sex than might be expected. Still, showing cleavage at a LAN party is a lot like throwing chum in shark-infested waters, and, according to a few female friends of mine, a lot less pleasant.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:50      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, so this might be a little OT for this thread, but do the members here frequent a particular channel on IRC? [Confused]

This might be a good place to start. I've never been much of an IRC person, but I did have some good times in the GC channels.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2004 16:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aves Corax:
And do NOT go to a LAN party unless you're already aquainted with the people there. If you have any visible secondary sex characteristics, you WILL get hit on by swarms of guys.

Huh? The LAN parties I've been to, we've been lucky to stop playing games to eat, let alone notice if any females are hanging about.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture