homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » First date ideas (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: First date ideas
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 06, 2004 15:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I need first date ideas... I gave my number to a checker at the local grocery store (her second job), and she called back, but I wasn't here when she did finally. The logical next thing to do is to ask her out, but I don't know much about her, and don't know where to take her. To be honest, I don't know where this lead (and because of how things are with me and Sky, I don't know where I want them to lead).

Here is what I do know:
- She is from India, and hasn't been in the states very long (Her mother just got here a few months ago, after she did)
- She works in a dentist's office by day
- She works at the store at night

I was thinking of inviting her over to my house for dinner (just the two of us, a meal and my violin -- but the house is in a constantly change shape of disarray, and might make me come off as cheap). I am low on cash at the moment, but I'll be getting paid before the then.

So, I need date ideas.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 15:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I was thinking of inviting her over to my house for dinner (just the two of us, a meal and my violin -- but the house is in a constantly change shape of disarray, and might make me come off as cheap).

Either that or as a seducer. You house, a home-cooked meal, and then you on a violin... [Eek!] Save that for later dude, especially if you aren't sure where to go with this!

How about a movie? Or something kinda silly but fun, like ice skating? I'd suggest a nice walk/hike, but given you're in WI, this might not be the best time of year for that. If there's a funky part of town she hasn't seen yet you guys could go there and hang out. Also, my university offered free concerts. Does yours? That's another thing that you two can do.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 18:17      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something where you can talk is always good, particularly if you don't know her very well yet. Don't invite her back to your place just yet. Save that for probably the 3rd or 4th date.

If you can't think of anything she would enjoy, pick out a few things you would like to do. At least that way, she will get an idea of what you like. And if it doesn't go so well, you at least got to do something you enjoy.

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 20:05      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take her out a book store a record store. You can usually get coffee somewhere nearby and then discuss different things that you both love (and hate) about literature and music.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 06, 2004 23:32      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your house on a first date? Are you mad, sir? Anyhow, I agree with the book store/record store/coffee bar idea. Movies don't allow you to talk much or get to know eachother. Good idea. [Smile]

--Zim'et is gold, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beth
Mini Geek
Member # 2512

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 07:02      Profile for Beth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely no to having her over to your house!

If you don't know her that well, try to take her somewhere where you can do something as well as talk.. I think a few things have been suggested, showing her around town, ice skating, book/music store, maybe to a jazz club or even bowling or somesuch... maybe it's just me but I don't recommend simply coffee or dinner or any setting where you're just sitting there. Maybe I'm just cynical after too many bad dates, but you run the risk of awkward silences; if the date isn't going well, there's nothing to take attention away from that fact.

--------------------
"What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'...cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

Posts: 88 | From: Winterpeg, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 10:11      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Either that or as a seducer. You house, a home-cooked meal, and then you on a violin... [Eek!]
It isn't my intent to get her into bed, it is however my intent for her to get to know me... It would be easier to be me here or somewhere familiar. I suppose I didn't think about the other implications.
]Save that for later dude, especially if you aren't sure where to go with this!
Indeed, I shall, if we hit it off past the first few dates.

How about a movie?
Can't talk, unless paired with dinner... That's the reason I use my connections and get symphony or theater tickets. Moreover, The rep's current show in the main hall does contain a little nudity.

Or something kinda silly but fun, like ice skating? I'd suggest a nice walk/hike, but given you're in WI, this might not be the best time of year for that. If there's a funky part of town she hasn't seen yet you guys could go there and hang out. Also, my university offered free concerts. Does yours? That's another thing that you two can do.
The concerts at the university are a double edged blade, can't talk there and would also remind me of why I'm not part of the music program any longer. The walk or skating isn't a bad idea.

--------------------
My Site

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 10:15      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something where you can talk is always good, particularly if you don't know her very well yet. Don't invite her back to your place just yet. Save that for probably the 3rd or 4th date.
I'm inclined to agree.

If you can't think of anything she would enjoy, pick out a few things you would like to do. At least that way, she will get an idea of what you like. And if it doesn't go so well, you at least got to do something you enjoy.
Not a bad idea, but my intrests these days most revolve around the computer or cost a little more than I currently have at my diposal... except roller skating, but I don't if she know how.

--------------------
My Site

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 10:23      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take her out a book store a record store. You can usually get coffee somewhere nearby and then discuss different things that you both love (and hate) about literature and music.
In theory I like the idea, using what books she looks at to find something out about her... The problem is:
"Want to go to look at books with me?"
I suppose if I ask her out for coffee (where I'll be drinking hot-cocoa -- cuz coffee is icky), then we could go to a cafe' in a bokstore, and happen to look arround.

Your house on a first date? Are you mad, sir? Anyhow, I agree with the book store/record store/coffee bar idea. Movies don't allow you to talk much or get to know eachother. Good idea.
Yes, I am mad. But that isn't why I thought of that... But you guys have talked me out of it.

--------------------
My Site

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 10:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely no to having her over to your house!
Alright, alright, I get the point.

If you don't know her that well, try to take her somewhere where you can do something as well as talk.. I think a few things have been suggested, showing her around town, ice skating, book/music store, maybe to a jazz club or even bowling or somesuch...
bowling? ick! Sorry, I know I asked for help, but bowling?

maybe it's just me but I don't recommend simply coffee or dinner or any setting where you're just sitting there. Maybe I'm just cynical after too many bad dates, but you run the risk of awkward silences; if the date isn't going well, there's nothing to take attention away from that fact.
Silences need not be awkward... and if the date isn't going well, I'd hate to be to distracted by the activity to know... So just sitting there (like a meal) doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me.

--------------------
My Site

weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 11:41      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I don't know as I can add anything that hasn't really been discussed already. Most of the dates I've been on (that you could call dates anyway) were the typical dinner and a movie, and that does cramp getting to know someone.

Going to a bookstore/coffeehouse *can* be okay, but that depends on if you are both the kind of people who enjoy bookstore/coffeehouses, and it seems like you don't know her well enough. I know that I always hate being dragged there because I am a book snob and I hate sitting with pseudo-intellectuals drinking lattes and talking about how brilliant some Oprah book is. That or they buy and read books like, "How to be an Urban Hipster." Ick! Sorry, that's just my bitterness.

I think maybe a day date might be a good idea and going to a museum of some sort. One of the best dates I ever had was going to an art museum and just wandering through the galleries, talking about what we liked, and being suggestive when we got to the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit. [Wink]

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

--------------------
Is there any tea on this spaceship?

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 17:08      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
science museums! there are two of them within walking distance of my home, and it's my default date idea. most people haven't been to a science museum since they were kids, so it's a novelty. if the conversation runs dry or things go awkwardly, there are usually live shows or displays to distract each other with, too. the major one near me has hourly lightning shows, live animal demonstrations, short films, and comedy skits.

...and, best of all, you get to show off your geek skills to sweep her off her feet. [Big Grin]

Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 18:17      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
there are two of them within walking distance of my home, and it's my default date idea.
Lucky geek. There's mostly desert around me for about 11 miles. (If you don't count the city of Belen, but most people don't...)

Anyway, good thinking Moz! [thumbsup]

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 07, 2004 19:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50 First Dates would be a good first date, no?
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted March 08, 2004 18:48      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must have erased ten ideas before I realized none of Mine would be doable for you, oh well.
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 19:37      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
I must have erased ten ideas before I realized none of Mine would be doable for you, oh well.

Out of morbid curiosity... What were they?

--------------------
My Site

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 19:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember, GM, that whatever Zorro answers, you brought it upon yourself.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 19:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Just remember, GM, that whatever Zorro answers, you brought it upon yourself.

But surely he's not bound to follow them?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 21:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me cuffs csk about the ears...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 21:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! No reason to whip up animosity!
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 21:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was just trying to show me the ropes.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 23:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these puns are torture ...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 23:41      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely second Demosthenes' museum idea, I think I might propose marriage on the spot if a cute girl geek suggested a trip to the local natural history museum or something like that. [Wink]

Also really like the bookstore/coffee shop date those are lots of fun if you take a walk through the bookstore (children's book section is lots of fun to reminisce in).

I think that's about all I can think of that are appropriate first dates. Also a lot of things you can do here you probably couldn't do up north. Anyway, good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 09, 2004 00:52      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've given you enough advice, mister, so when are you going to take the lady out? Give us the details!!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's curious. If I am, then you can throw rocks at me.

---Go for it!, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 08:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've given you enough advice, mister,
And I'm still lost.

so when are you going to take the lady out?
Dunno. Been to the store quite a few extra times, and she hasn't been in. Tried to get the other cashier (an older woman) to tell me when she (the lady in question) is in, by saying things along the lines of "So, your here a lot, don't you ever get a day off?" But, she just joked about how often I've been in. She called 4 times Friday (says Caller ID) from her other job, but hasn't called since.

Give us the details!!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one that's curious.
As soon as there is any.

If I am, then you can throw rocks at me.
I couldn't throw stones at you even if you were the only one... At the moment I happen to live in a glass, and I've caused enough pain this week.
[Frown]
I hope I know what I'm doing.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture