homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » 19/m/ma "the new guy" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 19/m/ma "the new guy"
norm925
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 20:41      Profile for norm925     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, i'm 19/m, my name is norm. I'm just looking for some friendly people to talk to. Geek girls would be really nice [Smile]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 20:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<crowded bar of drunks> NORM!!! </crowded bar of drunks>

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 22:08      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NORM!

Sorry, was a bit late on that one. [Big Grin] (Cheers is a great show and the real one in Boston has some tastey burgers n' beer. [Smile] )

Welcome to the GC by the way. [Smile]

-Shadow

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 15:17      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey hey, another masshole, eh?

which bit of massachusetts do you happen to hail from? i'm in the fenway area in boston.

SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 16:09      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to the forums norm, hope you can soon become cultured like all of us are

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 19:04      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi norm
norm925
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 20:35      Profile for norm925     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, happy new year! And thanks for the welcome. I was originally from Medford, but I moved up to North Andover like two years ago. I'm a sophomore at UMass Lowell. and I'm majoring in MIS. That's pretty much the gist of it. If anyone is bored, send me an im, my sn is stormn6676 (yes it's suppose to represent "storm'n norman", the 6676 is "norm" on the phone, yeah i'm a geek)
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2003 22:51      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hullo norm! Welcome to GC! We're (mostly) very friendly geeks here, so join in the fun!

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 07:33      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll follow your lead Norm with introductions, but I don't have the guts for my own thread so I'll tag on the end of yours :-)

18/M/UK, the names Nick, I've sort of been lurking here for some time now but only just got an account and posted. So hi.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 08:29      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to you too Nick

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2004 10:38      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<simpsons>
Dr. Nick: Hello everybody!
All: Hi doctor Nick!
</simpsons>

hehe hi and welcome to the both of you, enjoy!

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 05:04      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya, Norm....(can't think of anything witty to say) ..awwww

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 12:07      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geek girls would be really nice
We're here. Believe me. I wore a Legend of Zelda shirt to school today (with the original brown haired Link!) And most of the guys just sort of looked at me and laughed. I am surrounded by pop-culture morons! Except for one. *crush*.
P.S. "geek" is a very vague term, i.e. I am more of a bookworm (and graphic novels!)than a computer geek.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 13:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graphic novels? Do you take european ones too? If so, I have a few I would suggest. I am myself mainly into european-style and manga. (Though my collection is still relatively small.)

Uh... And hello Norm and Stibbons!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 14:43      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Latin! Yay! anyways...
I would be happy to take suggestions on graphic novels to read. I love Neil Gaiman stuff (that's European is suppose. He is British.) And I read things like Lucifer, London, and most of the decent g.n.'s put out by Vertigo (by DC).

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 15:36      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<thread hijack>
not a graphic novel but I just read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and I highly recommend it to anyone in need of some light and funny reading. It's sort of like the apocalypse monty python style. [Big Grin]
</thread hijack>

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beth
Mini Geek
Member # 2512

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 16:49      Profile for Beth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geek girls would be really nice
As Zim'et says, we're out here. I promise. [Smile]

On the whole where-to-find-geek-girls/guys thing, though, I'm just as lost as everyone else seems to be. My first day of university I thought, finally! I'll find them here! but alas, the first conversation I overheard was, "Whoa dude, I was like, so totally wasted last night, I totally was hitting on this like, completely ugly chick.. like, gross, man!" [Frown]

And then I estranged a large group of what I strongly suspect were geek guys by putting on some lip gloss as I walked past the physics lounge. [shake head] They all looked up hopefully, then shook their heads in disgust. GAH! That'll learn me gooder.

--------------------
"What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'...cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

Posts: 88 | From: Winterpeg, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 07, 2004 18:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Omen! Yeah! Sooooo funny!

Ok, now for suggestions:

Sasmira, by Vicomte. It is fantastic genre, time travelling, gorgeous graphism. 1 volume as of now, the next one is overdue, but still no date for it.

Blacksad, by Canales and Guarnido. Detective stories set in the '30s, but with 'animalized' characters. The graphism is so good I even bought the artbook. 2 volumes out, continuing.
Morea, by Arleston and Labrosse. It's soft science fiction, with many light moments, and really nice futuristic architecture. And each time I watch their depiction of the future of USA, and can't but think of what GWB is doing, and I go 'OMG, he is heading straight for that'! 2 volumes, more to come.

All are in French, though, but the two former are definitely worth having, if only to enjoy the art.

Oh, and I call 'european style' graphic novels about the size of letter paper and with a hard cover.

Of I go researching the titles you propose, Zim'et!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 18:35      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beth:

And then I estranged a large group of what I strongly suspect were geek guys by putting on some lip gloss as I walked past the physics lounge. [shake head] They all looked up hopefully, then shook their heads in disgust. GAH! That'll learn me gooder.

yeah, you'd best learn to change your habits to appeal to a clique with idiotic dating standards. "uh oh, lip gloss! that's a sure indicator of below-average intelligence and different taste in popular culture than i! scoff!"

i mean...errr...yes, norm, we exist, but some of us bite. [Roll Eyes]

Beth
Mini Geek
Member # 2512

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 19:27      Profile for Beth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah, you'd best learn to change your habits to appeal to a clique with idiotic dating standards. "uh oh, lip gloss! that's a sure indicator of below-average intelligence and different taste in popular culture than i! scoff!"

Exactly. And anyway, everybody knows you can ALWAYS judge a book by it's cover. [Wink] Ah, well.

--------------------
"What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'...cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

Posts: 88 | From: Winterpeg, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 12:41      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the "where-to-find-geek-girls/guys thing" (thanks for the phrase Beth)... I think we're walking right passed each other and not seeing who is there. I mean... it has to be. The geeks are out there, or we wouldn't have this forum or websites like this one.

I'm an available and reasonably attractive geekette in a major city, work as an instructor and writer in the IT department of a grad school, practically breathe Classic Star Wars, I'm funny, smart, yadda yadda yadda... I should have the geeks beating a path to my door. Do I? Nope. Do I advertise my geekiness and have I actively looked for like minded individuals of the opposite sex? Yup.

I think we should go for the phosphorous implants as was suggested in another thread (or it was this one... sorry... trying to catch up).

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 13:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, that is what im trying to tell everyone. i mean were smart enough arnt we.

Xanathine, your the local biochemist, im sure you could figure something out.

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 14:12      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a pretty cool guy at a Latin convention last year. Turns out he wasn't quite as smart as I had hoped he would be though. *pout*
Stereo: I'll check out those titles you suggested. Thanks!

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 14:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
See, that is what im trying to tell everyone. i mean were smart enough arnt we.

Xanathine, your the local biochemist, im sure you could figure something out.

Phosphorous implants? That sounds kinda flammable. Never mind the toxicity issues...

How about we just tag all geeks with GFP so we glow green under UV light? We could fuse it to whatever genes are responsible for geekiness. Unfortuantely, those genes haven't been found (and may be very much subject to the nature vs. nurture debate). It would also require manipulation of the human germline, which raises some bioethical concerns. How about this: look right underneath your nose. The geek of your dreams is probably right in front of you.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 14:29      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did look right under my nose. I met someone here when I was a student. He was the proverbial "one who got away." I wasn't single, he was... He wasn't single, I was... the same old drill. Several years ago when this was going on, one of our friends said she often had to remind herself we weren't a couple, and when I told a professor I was divorcing, her immediate comment was that it was good because I belonged with this other person. But he's one of my closest friends and I will treasure him always.

So I keep looking right where you suggest, and begin to wonder if rhinoplasty wouldn't be a bad idea.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture