homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » iPod Nano and Shuffle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPod Nano and Shuffle
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2017 19:42      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are enough iPod Nanos and Shuffles floating around to provide eBay with an endless stock for generations to come. Apple probably had to cut them, because they could no longer compete with their own massively distributed creation.

I've noticed that my daughter still uses her shuffle and nano. I think I bought at least four shuffles, giving them all to my kids, ultimately. They're grown up now, but it's cool that they still use them.

Shooshie

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2017 04:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta say I found Apple's decision puzzling.

Ok, so iPod sales have been declining for years, as more and more people use their phones as their primary portable music player, but...

They're keeping the iPod touch, which is basically an iPhone without the 'phone' part.
Who's that aimed at?
People who want the iPhone's features, but are still using their Nokia 5110?

The nano had a far more obvious market niche - it's way smaller and cheaper than the touch, and seems a far more obvious choice for people like me who don't like to use their phone as a music player because phone battery life is never long enough as it is.

Ok, so Apple have access to sales figures and I don't, but it really surprised me that the touch is the model worth keeping.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2017 12:31      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect this is Apple skating to where the puck will be, rather than where it is now. If we look back in a few years we will probably say, "oh, yeah, I get it."

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1740 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2017 21:26      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my nieces and nephews use iPod Touches. It's almost like having phone, at least where there is WiFi, but their parents don't have to worry about them running up a $200 phone bill in any given month. They get to text, post to Facebook, surf the net, watch Netflix, YouTube, etc., and basically "fit in," without the temptations of that direct line to a high phone bill, not to mention what kinds of mischief that can bring to a 12 year old.

Shoosh

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2017 00:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: They might also be used by businesses that have great wireless coverage and want to let their employees use something 'mobile.'

I used one for ages before finally breaking down and getting an iPhone (and finding a cheap plan) - but I had a company smartphone for years and didn't feel like spending the $$$.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2017 10:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an older Nano that has the SD card conversion and rockbox. I don't use it often but it is nice for motorcycle trips and the occasional trip to the gym.
Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2017 04:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
iPod Touch's primary market is probably industry. Many hospitals have started distributing issuing staff with an iPod Touch for entering data to patient records, responding to jobs, etc.
Posts: 1142 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture