homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Hey, my city made Joy of Tech!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, my city made Joy of Tech!
romad
Geek-in-Training
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2017 12:25      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The February 15th comic mentions Oroville, California. I didn't have to evacuate as I live high enough that any flooding would be a mile (1.61km) or two (3.22km) away.

The mandatory evacuees are being allowed to return as it is now a voluntary evacuation.

Posts: 34 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 15, 2017 12:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Happy to see that the situation seems to be under-controlish!
Posts: 8083 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2017 16:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a scary one - at one stage the authorities were warning of a dam failure "within the hour".

So very glad they were wrong.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10663 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 15, 2017 18:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realtime Analysis of the Oroville Dam Disaster
https://github.com/axibase/atsd-use-cases/blob/master/OrovilleDam/README.md

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2017 00:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, reading all those medieval units made my brain hurt, but once I got past that, my main thought was...

FFFFFAAAAARRRRRQQQQQ !

That was a close one!

I used to work for an electricity authority that has some hydro facilities. I'm not an engineer, don't pretend to be an expert on dams, but I did pick up some background knowledge of what goes on.

I say again: FFFFFAAAAARRRRRQQQQQ !

And it's not over yet.

I'd guess there's a continuous stream of very big trucks delivering boulders to fill that hole before the next rains arrive. Actually filling it would take ~1/4 million tons of rock, which they probably don't have time for, but if they can even line the bottom of the hole that *might* reduce erosion enough to get them through.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10663 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2017 08:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First plug the hole then look for the more practical solutions, Big rocks are going to be hard to find as days stretch into weeks.

This is what happens when science and politicians look at cost sheets, we can not afford to do that, you are going to have to spend the money lots of money.

Tap into the emergency fund that is why it was created.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5821 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
romad
Geek-in-Training
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2017 11:14      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
That was a scary one - at one stage the authorities were warning of a dam failure "within the hour".

So very glad they were wrong.

Just to make things clear as the national and international media got it wrong somewhat.

1. There is no (and never was any) damage to the dam.

2. North of the dam itself is a gated spillway.

3. North of the Gated Spillway is the Emergency/Auxiliary Spillway which is at the top of a natural ravine. However it does have a rounded concrete cap at the top that is almost 100 feet (30.48 meters) high to allow a smooth flow.

4. The TOP of the dam is at 922 feet (281 meters) elevation.

5. The lake is considered "Full" at 900 feet (274.32 meters) elevation.

6. The Emergency Spillway top is at 901 feet (274.63 meters)

7. 1 cubic foot = 7.48 US gallons = 28.32 liters

So what happened was when they started releasing 55,000 cubic feet per second (CFS) through the Gated Spillway, the concrete started breaking up about 2/3 of the way down. Unknown cause as yet but the spillway has handled 100,000 cfs (2,832,000 liters per second) many times over the last almost 50 years.

They shut down the release but we had 3 heavy storms come rolling through and the INFLOW to the lake was as high as 180,000 cfs so the lake filled rapidly to 901 feet and started going over the Emergency Spillway Saturday morning. Unfortunately on Sunday afternoon it was discovered that the flow was eating away the ravine BACK TOWARD the cap. Since they thought it might undermine the cap and release a torrent of water, the evacuation was instituted.

They opened the gates on the damaged Gated Spillway to release 100,000 cps so as to lower the lake to an elevation of 850 feet (it is about 870 feet currently and dropping). Once the lake level had dropped about 10 feet, the mandatory evacuation was downgraded to an "Evacuation Warning" status.

This was the first time in the history of the dam that the Emergency Spillway came into use.

Posts: 34 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 28, 2017 12:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great new footage here...
http://kron4.com/2017/02/28/video-authorities-stop-releasing-water-at-oroville-dam/

romad
Geek-in-Training
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2017 09:55      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case anyone is interested, I've put the preliminary report on the spillway failure (the dam itself was never in danger) in my Dropbox: https://tinyurl.com/ldx93f2

Be warned it is a 120MB PDF as there are a lot of photos in it. It is pretty "damming" [Wink] of the California Department of Water Resources.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2017 12:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romad, being comfortable with site plans and building blueprints, this is not too bad. The biggest problem was the tree roots blocking the under surface drains and causing cracks in the actual channel. This was not a spillway for turbine use but for overfilling the pond. Usage would be limited, to the rainy season, when damage could be corrected later

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5821 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture