homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » The "IBM Resurrected" Comic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "IBM Resurrected" Comic
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 04:29      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's rare that a comic actually makes me laugh out loud. I may write "lol" and imagine that I laughed out loud. I mean, it's funny; I'm laughing in my mind, right? But having lived through all of the IBM/Mac wars, then the Windows PC/Mac wars, to the present day serenity of vindication, I could not help but laugh out loud. Literally.

Great comic, guys!

Shooshie

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 03, 2015 11:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shooshie, it doesn't get better than that. You really made our day. [Happytears]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 14:16      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This comic made me think of my father, who retired from IBM after about 20 years, and who the other day said, "So if I buy a Mac, do I need anti-virus software?" [Eek!]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 21:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still own my original IBM-PC from 1982. I recently resurrected a bunch of floppies from that era and recovered the first product I ever wrote.

If you want to go further back, I used one of these in elementary school. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minivac_601

I recently picked on up for an insanely low price on EBay.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2015 09:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I still own my original IBM-PC from 1982. I recently resurrected a bunch of floppies from that era and recovered the first product I ever wrote.

I threw out a big box of floppies last weekend, clearing out the garage in preparation for some building work.

Showed one to the druidlings....
One of these, (holds up USB key) equals (holds up floppy disk) 192,000 of these.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2015 11:58      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Showed one to the druidlings....
One of these, (holds up USB key) equals (holds up floppy disk) 192,000 of these.

Time to roll out one of my favorite sets of statistics:

I have five 2TB WD My Passport Studio Firewire drives. The 10TB of these 5 drives combined would equal 7,142,857 HD floppy disks (@1.4MB), which at ⅛" thick (.125") would stack like pancakes 14 miles into the sky.†

The original 128K Mac used 400K floppies. If we counted 10TB in THOSE disks, it would require 3.5 times as many, or a stack of floppies reaching nearly 50 miles high! That's not exact, because we measured 1MB differently then (1024K then, rather than 1000K), but itís very close. If laid end-to-end, these 25,000,000 floppies (@400K) would span 7 mi. further than the distance from New York City to Dallas, Texas!†

These 2TB drives are each about the size of 2 decks of playing cards, laid side-by-side. Five drives fit in a lunch box with room left over for lunch!

-
STATISTICS:
1TB = 714,285 Floppy Disks @ 1.4 MB
1TB = 1.4 Miles (stacked) of Floppy DIsks @ 1.4 MB, where each floppy is 1/8" thick.
2TB = 1,428,571.4 Floppy Disks @ 1.4MB
2TB = 2.8 Miles (stacked) of Floppy Disks @ 1.4MB per floppy, 1/8" thick.

Shooshie

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2015 15:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way back machine time, Recording programs written in Basic onto audio tape. On the other hand real Floppies the ones in cardboard I believe the first ones 5.25 inches sq. were only 190k then there were main frame machines with 8"X8" floppies, then the two sided ones. Whoops I forgot tape drives and Paper Punched Tape.

Where I worked we had machines in use until 2002 using PPT readers.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture