homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Apple Car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple Car
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2015 16:16      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Apple Car comic was a joke. I mean, the car, not the comic. I thought you were making that up. Making a point about Apple's having set a new record for company value on the stock market recently, and all that. After all, it's the richest company in the world!

But Time Magazine just published pictures of the Apple Titan Concept Car.

Of course, it's just a concept car. It'll change before they release it, if they release it. But it's real. They're working on it. I've gotta say, that's a little small for me. And I'm not sure I want to get on a car-upgrade path where you basically buy a new car every 3 years. I like driving mine until they won't roll.

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 15, 2015 19:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, let's hope if they do a car, they just buy Tesla.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2015 07:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I doubt that Apple would buy Tesla. They have an understanding of building things. Lead times, Vender abilities. Compared to a car a computer case and mother board are easy.

Building a fender die and/or male plug for a composite mold takes huge amounts of time.

Think of Three to Seven Years from good sketch to finished part then approvals and rework, then a supplier that you were counting on backs out.

Apple should go it alone, I have seen the joint ventures, go really bad, when just one vendor fails.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2015 12:56      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the complexity of a modern smartphone approaches the complexity of a car. Yes, the parts are smaller, but you still have a witch's brew of suppliers providing parts that all have to fit together (with much higher precision than most auto parts, I might add). In terms of scale, global auto sales for 2014 were projected to be 85 million vehicles. Apple alone sold 75 million iPhones in the last QUARTER. I think they can manage the supply chain.

That said, Apple has thus far created products that we carry with us. (No, you didn't cart a IIvx around with you every day, but my point is one person could move it around.) Building something that moves us around flips that on its head a bit.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 05:11      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see Jony Ive's approach to building a car:

"We wanted to build a REALLY STRONG car, so we took a 16 foot cube of virgin aluminium and machined it into the shape of the basic car. Yes, there's a lot of aluminum left over when we're done, but we feel it's worth it to get that solid feeling that our customers want, and the strength that keeps it in one piece in the event that some idiot wants to ram it. In our crash tests, the car seems to remember it's solid aluminium block ancestry, and lays waste to a Humvee at 60 mph, while the riders inside scarcely feel a bump. Such a fascinating thing to discover in the late stages of engineering and development; we think this will revolutionize car manufacturing and safety.

Also, you needn't take your iPad or iPhone. The car IS your iOS mobile device, and resides on your local network. Siri can have your email done before you reach the office! ..."

[Big Grin]

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 05:25      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Heh, let's hope if they do a car, they just buy Tesla.

I've got a better idea. Picture Elon Musk as the new CEO of Apple, after negotiating a merger of Apple, Tesla, and Space-X under one company: Apple Technologies.

How about that? Huh? We're talking about new products like a rocket belt for those little trips across the neighborhood to see your girlfriend, or the new Apple Car that can get you to the International Space Station on a single tank of Hydrogen Peroxide. City-wide pneumatic tube personal transport. We're talking about not just the future, but FUTURAMA!

Can you picture Elon out there on the stage at Moscone center, saying "Oh... and just one more thing..."

Shooshie

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 06:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn is that some powerful KoolAid.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 13:07      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooshie:
... and the strength that keeps it in one piece in the event that some idiot wants to ram it.

Crash-gate! "Apple has received a very small number of reports that their Apple Car exhibits a small bend after a collision with a fully loaded tractor-trailer.

--------------------
Ugh!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 17, 2015 14:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooshie's uni-body car... [Applause] [Big Grin]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 08:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truthfully I would prefer a pneumatic car. Like those big balls that someone gets in and rolls down hill. Lots of crush space and very controlled deceleration, these old bones are probably getting brittle.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 13:28      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting for transporters.

--------------------
Ugh!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 16:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This maybe the best reason for Apple to go forward

c|net

While this man does not do any of the work to build cars, he does know the finances.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 21:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple was also dumb enough to try to compete with Google on things like Maps. I strongly doubt they'd get serious about this, but I wouldn't rule out their hubris. When I got my iPhone at work, the 1st app I downloaded voluntarily (after an MDM agent :/) was Google Maps. Apple's thing immediately got buried in an 'OEM' folder, along with other apps that can't be deleted. (Also, anything that can be launched from the up or down swipe screens - don't need to waste real-estate for the camera.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture