homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Are the Apple apps disappearing on your iPhone's home screen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are the Apple apps disappearing on your iPhone's home screen?
oldwhatsisface
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 46830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 02:16      Profile for oldwhatsisface   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is there no option to vote no to this question? It's rather insulting to imply that Google apps are somehow superior to iOS apps. If I wanted Google spying on me 24/7, I would buy an Android phone and tablet. No danger of that happening anytime soon.

I downloaded the Google maps on my iPhone for comparison purposes with the Apple maps, and look up each address that I have occasion to view with both of them to see how they compare. Contrary to what you read on various blogs, mostly posted by Fandroids, I find the Apple maps and driving directions to be at least as good as, if not better than, the Google maps both in regard to ease of use of the application, and even with their photos database, although that varies a lot depending on what part of the world you're looking out. You may, apparently, get different results in parts of the Australian outback. :-)

Since you live in Southwest BC, try looking up a few local places on both Google maps and Apple maps. For instance, try looking up Stanley Park, or the Golden Ears Bridge, a large 4 lane bridge which does not even appear at all on the Google map photo, or the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge around the entrance to the Capilano River, to name just a few. In my own immediate area in Surrey, the Apple maps shows four complete subdivisions which do not even appear on the Google map, its so far out of date.

That's not just confined to the greater Vancouver area, either. I'm reading a book about sailing around Europe on my iPad and was looking up various locations in London along the Thame river, and as the author proceeded up the Rhine River en route to Switzerland, in Holland, Germany and Switzerland. Anyway, the Apple maps zoomed in correctly on a couple of addresses in London that the Google maps couldn't find at all. When I manually took the Google maps there, and put both of them on 3-D for a look around, the Apple maps give me a beautiful 3-D view while the Google maps 3D just showed a flattened and distorted landscape. I got more mixed results proceeding up the Rhine; sometimes one gave a better view, sometimes the other, but overall, I couldn't say the Google maps was any better than the Apple maps.

As to Safari and Chrome, once you sign your life away by agreeing to the 80 page contract Google insists on before it loads, where would you find that to be any better than Safari? Where is the reader feature, among other? If you want your every move spied on, use Google Chrome. If you just want to browse the Internet and easily read articles, Safari seems a much better option.

Anyway, next time you put up a poll question like that, give me an option like "no", or "none of the above", or "the Apple apps are working just fine for me".

Thanks,

Terry

PS: Where is the 'Post' button? All I can find are Preview Post and Add New Topic. There is no 'Post' button in the Preview window either. Hello!

--------------------
"The only thing infinite in the universe is the human capacity for stupidity." Albert Einstein

Posts: 2 | From: Surrey, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 21, 2013 12:10      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I though folk from Richmond were angry! Wowzers!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 12:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing that your post showed up when you couldn't find the add reply button. Almost makes me think this is a clever troll, but the outraged fanboy speech is just too dead-on.

The poll isn't really a poll. It's an extension of the humor in the comic. It isn't meant to be a realistic survey and the results mostly show which answer people thought was most humorous.

If you go through the archives, you'll find that there are plenty of comics that poke fun at MS, Google, Android, Facebook and every other large tech company and the associated polls are written the same way; no serious, non-humorous answers. Apple isn't sacred and there's no reason why they should be treated any differently than the others.

And Apple maps has some "intersting" bits in Vancouver, despite your belief to the contrary.

It's great that you're a fanboy, I guess, but really... Apple isn't perfect. Sometimes they screw up, just like every other company. It's okay to admit that. In fact, you'll be a better fan if you do because you'll press for them to become even better rather than showing them that quality doesn't matter by accepting their mistakes and defending them.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6362 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 13:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, you're right, I should have added a "nope!"

(Edit: added it, better late then never [blush] )

Apple Maps is much maligned. We were just in Vancouver last week, and Maps worked wonderfully. Turn-by-turn saved our ass a number of times.

Perhaps that is why we made the comic from the iPhone's perspective.

Posts: 7813 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2013 18:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief! Not for nothing, but N+S are pretty big Apple fans... [Wink]
Sometimes we mock the ones we love the most. [Smile]

As for the JoyPoll, I think many of us like to View Results if we're not sure, or simply want all of Snaggy's wit without the calories.

I don't have an iPhone, but I opted for "A few are removed, mainly the annoying ones like Podcasts and Newsstand." w.r.t. my iPod Touch & iPad. On the latter, I certainly use the NY Times app, but loathe how Newsstand gets in the way to accomplish absolutely nothing. I banished Podcasts & iTunes to a second page long ago.

I don't use Chrome because I can't readily vet its security on a limited platform and I just don't want to hand over yet more privacy controls to Google. However, I do use Terra on the iPad from time to time, as it has its own version of Incognito, and I use Opera on the iPod for faster loading pages on hit-or-miss wifi.

I'm not a big fan of Android, but I have must say that Google Maps is *fantastic* on my work phone. I quite like the pre-Mapplegate version of Maps on my iOS devices, but the Android Maps is quite possibly better. Someday I'll probably be subjected to Apple's new Maps, but I hope to postpone that as long as I can. (On a different note, I had a brief encounter with Windows 8 the other day and wished for a quite death - I definitely thought I could have kept that at bay longer. :/)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9203 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 14:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oldwhatsisface:
Why is there no option to vote no to this question? It's rather insulting to imply that Google apps are somehow superior to iOS apps. If I wanted Google spying on me 24/7, I would buy an Android phone and tablet. No danger of that happening anytime soon.Hello!

hahahaha! Thanks for the laugh.
Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 20:17      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really care about people who can spy on you, then Android vs. Apple doesn't matter at all. Your carrier (phone or land ISP) knows all. They get your DNS requests and know the actual IP addresses you visit. Maybe with Tor on the phone you might keep some anonymity (if you don't live in the PRC), but otherwise they already have the data (and are happy to sell it).
Posts: 2867 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2013 21:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
If you really care about people who can spy on you, then Android vs. Apple doesn't matter at all. Your carrier (phone or land ISP) knows all. They get your DNS requests and know the actual IP addresses you visit. Maybe with Tor on the phone you might keep some anonymity (if you don't live in the PRC), but otherwise they already have the data (and are happy to sell it).

Incidentally, unreliability and all this other fun is why I've cut my work DNS over to a certain someone's Public DNS. I think you guys will do just fine on it, and boy does it resolve quickly. (And...I was testing DNS results for a project and was ended up getting annoyed by the fact it returned more results than I even asked for - it pre-emptively fetched the answer to an external CNAME. Normally, that would be quite helpful! In this case, it meant my results didn't match my NS, but that was easily explained away once I found better `dig` cmds.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9203 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2013 06:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think these smart phones are junk, In the last two years, The Mrs. has had way more grief than myself. She has had some flavors of Android, and most of them when rural will drop calls way more than the older dumb phones. I use a non-camera phone that can text, and place normal phone calls it works and quite well, however in some areas of Michigan I would not trust any Smart phone, to place an emergency call.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5446 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.