homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Olympics withdrawal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Olympics withdrawal
smu
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 30771

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 03:14      Profile for smu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say about this: If you liked the olympics, watch out for the paralympics.
While they are smaller and less known, the competitions are often more interesting due to the disabled sportsmen (and sportswomen of course).

Try watching the biathlon competition for the blind(!).

Regards,
Sven

Posts: 2 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 03:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so do people who compete in the parolimpics only compete agaist those withthe same handycap as them. Do the have say a 400 meter relay for blind people, then a 400 meter relay for limbless people, and then a 400 meter relay for mentally handicapped people? this seems to me the only way to make it fair.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 04:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, Look up Special Olympics. Good organization. Every one gets a Medal.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 07:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No mixing up Paralympics (physical impairments) with Special olympics (mental impairments)! [Eek!]

As for the competitions and schedule, see here: http://www.vancouver2010.com/paralympic-games/schedule---results/

Now, what's bad is that most of times, Paralympics just do not get the same coverage. For example, workers are already taking off the extra installations, aren't disabled athletes just as worthy of recognition?

(And I have a co-worker in the sled-hockey team. Go Canada! Triple hockey gold! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 02, 2010 10:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really looking forward to the Paralympics. Vancouver should have kept the Flame burning!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
smu
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 30771

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2010 06:18      Profile for smu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@TheMoMan: Please don't make people confuse the special oplympics and the paralympics. While I sympathize with both, they are hugely different.

@Ash: Yes, the competitions are devided by classes (which mostly refer to different disabilities).

@Stereo: Regarding the attention, I really appreciated german TV during the last summer paralympics. They assigned just as much air time to the paralympics (and almost as many reporters etc.) as to the olympics running before that. What I liked even more was that I was able to watch the wheelchair basketball games of the german team live (since an ex-team-mate of me was playing there).

Regards,
Sven

Posts: 2 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 07:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smu,

This isn't twitter.

Twitter is for twats.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 08, 2010 10:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@drunkennewfiemidget: this isn't kindergarden. Name calling is for sucky babies.

[Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 12:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait just a damn minute - it's been common form to write "@foo" in comments well before Twitter took off.

That just seems like a bad excuse to give someone abuse.

Big thumbs down, newf. =(

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 13:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smu:

How does that work?

That's a serious question, BTW. What kind of targets do blind people shoot at? Are they little clickers or something?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 13:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by smu:

How does that work?

That's a serious question, BTW. What kind of targets do blind people shoot at? Are they little clickers or something?

They use a special scope that generates a tone that increases in frequency the closer the aim is to the center of the target. They also have a guide that skis ahead of them and they listen for the sounds of their skis to determine which way to go, avoid hazards and so forth.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted March 08, 2010 16:00      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT IS AWESOME.

Biathlon is my favorite. Only I worry that, you know, at some point tradition will take over and the Finns will start shooting the Russians.

but I never, ever, thought of blind biathlon. Wonderful.

--------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture