homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » JoT 2009-Jul-6

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JoT 2009-Jul-6
madbard
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 28555

Icon 10 posted July 06, 2009 13:42      Profile for madbard         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you mean that "heaven" is the Frys Computer in Campbell, California? I've been to 6-7 Frys

Frys Sunnyvale - the mothership; inside of a computer chip
Frys Palo Alto - Western
Frys San Jose - Egyptian
Frys Manhattan Beach - tropical island (WORST PARKING OF ALL THE FRYS!)
Frys Campbell - Aztec ziggurat
Frys San Diego - former Incredible Universe, boring warehouse theme
Frys San Marcos - Aquatic/giant aquarium
Frys City of Industry - giant mechanism (gears, pipes everywhere)
Frys Burbank - alien invasion (this is near Hollywood after all)

I drove by Frys Houston but didn't have time to go in.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 06, 2009 17:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right... Fry's San Jose is heaven. :-)
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2009 21:26      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tell me you've been reading Chick Tracts for inspiration! [Wink]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2009 04:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I just hear a heavenly voice mention ink cartridges?

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2009 09:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: That's awesome! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 23:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by madbard:
Frys Palo Alto - Western
Frys San Jose - Egyptian

Frys Woodland Hills - Alice in Wonderland (Entrance is "going down the rabbit hole," giant statues of the Queen of Hearts, the Duchess, the hookah-smoking Caterpillar on his mushroom, etc.)
IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 23:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:
Originally posted by madbard:
Frys Palo Alto - Western
Frys San Jose - Egyptian

Frys Woodland Hills - Alice in Wonderland (Entrance is "going down the rabbit hole," giant statues of the Queen of Hearts, the Duchess, the hookah-smoking Caterpillar on his mushroom, etc.)
Speaking of alice in wonderland, who has seen the Tim Burton trailer?

I wonder if this will be an adult swim version or if it will be good for the kiddies as well. I wonder how much drug references they will slip in.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2009 05:52      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Fry's. Here's just one of my Fry's stories: I once walked into the Fry's in Dallas and bought an external Firewire drive by Que (QPS). The year was approximately 2001, I don't remember for sure. The drive came in its own little carrying bag which I still use to hold crap for which I have no idea where else to put it.

But here's the great part about Fry's: the drive was brand new. Still shrink wrapped. I got it home and plugged it into my Mac. Suddenly dozens of folders appear with labels like Rock, C&W, Comedy, Jazz, Big Band, R&B, etc. In all, there were 30 GB or so of mp3's on a 60 GB drive. Someone had bought the drive, digitized his whole record collection, which spanned all styles and many decades, then burned them to CD or something, then returned the drive to Fry's. Fry's being Fry's, they cleverly repackaged the whole thing and shrink wrapped it again. They forgot to erase it. So, yeah... Fry's sells slightly used stuff and calls it new.

Ok, what else is news? I'll tell you what I REALLY don't like about Fry's in Dallas. They misjudged our location. They've got it themed for the wild west with a herd of cattle looking down at you from the balcony above the entrance. They used to have mooing sounds as you walked in. The whole place is done up in what might be called the Sheriff Woody theme.

That's so wrong for Dallas. Everyone looks at it like "WTF? That SO belongs in Fort Worth!"

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture