homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Battlestar Galactica Finale!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Finale!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 20, 2009 11:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's gonna watch? Remember, it starts an hour earlier tonight.

We will be of course. The series has been good, but I personally could have done without all the Baltar bla bla stuff, and the Final Five, and Helen, and the babies. Babies ruin everything on TV, imho.

[Geek]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 11:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched every other episode so, unsurprisingly, I'll be watching the final.

I'm not sure they really knew what to do with Baltar throughout the series. The main thing that annoys me about the character is the inconsistency. Half the time he's a sleazy politician turned televangelist, the rest of the time he's some Che Guevara.

Mostly, though, I've liked the series despite it's flaws.

It could be worse

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 11:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Gaius Baltar is the man who sold the world for Cylon poontang. He feels some guilt about that, but not enough to take the real shots at redemption that have been offered. In general terms, he will do and say anything to stay alive.

What's really amusing is, if you watch the Q&As where the actor who plays Baltar discusses his character, you find that the guy who plays Baltar is Baltar's total opposite.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 11:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be watching. I personally like Baltar. [Razz] I would love to have a cult consisting only of gun toting women. [evil] To me he provides comic relief. I also have a crush on Starbuck. [hearts]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 12:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, no spoilers, bittorrent takes... um... I mean, the network broadcasts it a little later here in oz.

I like Baltar.
Sure, he sold humanity for some Cylon poontang, but hey, who wouldn't?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 12:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think you got it bad? Earlier this season, SciFi put the full episodes up on their website the day after the show aired and I could get my joyful and legal freeloading done around the same time everyone with a TV got to watch and digest the show. But now the bastards have put in a one week lag, so the big finish tonight and I STILL haven't seen Daybreak I yet.

Okay, I could buy it on iTunes, but it's the principle of the thing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 12:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Earlier this season, SciFi...

You spelled it wrong

*gags at the link*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 12:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Xanthine wrote:

You spelled it wrong

*gags at the link*

Ugh...I read that in the Times - so lame.

What's TNT or TBS called these days? I've lost track of the 'cheesy name of the month' bits, and well...I don't watch them anyway. [Razz]

The idea I'm most interested in would be a cheap Hulu-style online subscription thing where you could get certain cable channels a la carte. The only thing I consider worthwhile on cable that isn't online is Discovery Science Channel. I really dig "How it's Made." Also, I quite like Hulu's implementation, and figure that content might be more readily available if a /small/ fee was added for additional content. Along these lines, I would like to be able to get access to BBC online (and Channel Four) the same as locals do! If this stuff came to be, I could easily see the death of modern television, and that IMHO, would be a Good Thing®.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 13:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Xanthine wrote:

You spelled it wrong

*gags at the link*

Um...

/me files this away under the "corporate WTF" category

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2009 23:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
/me files this away under the "corporate WTF" category

Looks like those corporate execs brains were damaged by a bad dose of syfylys.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2009 16:52      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at a conference in LA on the 20th and the hotel didn't get the SciFi channel (it's not officially "SyFy" until July 7th!), so I had to wait until Sat. night to immerse myself in the finale. ("Immerse" because I'm a die-hard BSG fan.)

Having now done so, I'm anticipating a conversation with some family members who haven't watched any of the re-imagined series but planned to tune into the finale "to see how it all ends". I'm pretty sure they will pan it as not worth the hype. IMHO, that's like passing judgment on "2001: A Space Odyssey" after watching only the last 15 minutes. Even having seen every BSG episode, I think I need to watch the last 3 hours again to fully grasp what the writers wanted to convey.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture