homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » What is your reaction to this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your reaction to this?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 30, 2008 15:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Nitrozac & Snaggy,

Despite being a long time fan of your brilliant The Joy of Tech, I am deeply troubled by the "Asian brothels" joke that is part of your missing iPhones piece. To put it bluntly, this is racist and tasteless. Human trafficking is a real and serious ill and certainly
not a laughing matter. There are many online resources dedicated to educating and combating the modern slavery trade. Please seek them out and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

To be honest, when I first saw the missing iPhone piece, my gut reaction is wanting to alert the civil rights media watchdog. However I love The Joy of Tech and do not wish to see the situation escalate.

Please remove the offensive content (just the portion, not the whole thing) before other people take actions. Knowing your work, I'm confident that you can easily replace it with something that is truly humorous.

Sincerely...

Do you think we crossed the line with our sexy negligée-clad iPhones in an Asian brothel joke?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 15:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humour is dangerous, if it's not potentially offensive to someone, it's probably not very funny.

The trade in (often very young) sex-slaves is a serious problem in many parts of the world, and you've obviously hit a raw nerve for someone, but personally I'm of the "laugh away your pain" school.

Your negligée-clad iPhones didn't cross any of my lines.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 15:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I think he is being hypersensitive and overzealously politically correct. There are very few subjects indeed that should not be joked about. It would never even occur to me that this cartoon was in poor taste.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 16:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Alas, it occurred to me as soon as I saw it that someone would flip...

(Just change it to French, ditch the neon light, and put the silhouette of a beret on top of the iPhones. [Wink] No self-respecting redneck or even ACLU member would take issue with /that/ - it's *artistic expression.* [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 17:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Some people have very thin skins, however humor is very hard to pin down. How do you appeal to every one and not offend a few? We need Red Skelton back.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 18:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was more offended by the typo "fiest" for "first" in the Nano bit [Big Grin]

Seriously... Yes "person smuggling" for nefarious "sextrade" purposes is real and horrific... Should that prevent us from a) acknowledging such horrors exist and b) making a very silly gag about it using a blatantly non sexual tech gadget... ??? I say NO...

We are all "grown up" here are we not? It is a "lightweight" did at the reports of how many iPhones may or may not actually have been sold...

Anyone who take offence at that is as Calli put it "hypersensitive and overzealously politically correct"

I've been coming here a fair while now... I have put my foot in my mouth once or twice and had to humbly grovel... (not lately I am glad to say) but to be honest "people come and people go" if this person is likely to be a genuine poster fine - let them have their say... But if they are just some ghastly political spammer? Send 'em to "Not here, Thanks! Hell..."

Alternatively lock them in a room with ASM, TFD & Cap'n Vic and call "Last man standing" - my money is on Vic.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 21:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm offended you left alien abductions off your list. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 30, 2008 22:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak: it's no typo... Feist commercial:
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ads/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 00:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my $0.02

It is not offensive.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 31, 2008 05:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here would be my reply: "We deliberately used the 'asian brothel' in our joke to raise awareness against this matter, and to reveal how despicable human trafficking can be, even more so when for the sole satisfaction of denatured sexual behaviour. The fact that you reacted so bluntly tells us that we reached our goal on this matter. But rest assured that no iPhone was harmed in the making of this comic. Thank you for your support, etc."

If s/he wants to play offended, just play along.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
pixel_pusher01

Member # 11735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 07:11      Profile for pixel_pusher01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh... next thing you know, people will be writing and complaining that you bash PCs over Macs and threaten to send John Dvorak out on a fahtwa over you...

As much as I consider myself a "Conservative, Right-winger", I think the notion of Political Correctness is beyond the joke now. People don't want "equal rights, fair treatment" anymore- they want "exclusive rights and preferential treatment"- they say, "I have the right to say whatever I want, even if it offends you, but heaven HELP you if you say something that offends ME!" And it seems we Americans are the worst offenders. People need to lighten up and realize that the First Amendment guarantees free speech, not freedom from insult.

As to a possible response, I would simply say, "Our sincere intention was not to offend, but to provide a humorous avenue to express our opinion." It's YOUR site, you should have the right to express your opinions and views on anything, even if someone else is offended or doesn't agree with your views. There are lots of PC users, I would assume, that frequent your site, and they don't seem to mind your Mac-based slant. Don't be afraid to take a stand against this out-of-control "PC" mindset and say, "It's our site, and we'll say what we want. Get over yourselves."

--------------------
Mike: "You know, a lot of people have compared this scene to the climactic chariot scene in "Ben Hur."
Tom Servo: "Uh-huh?"
Mike: "Yeah, you know, they usually say, "Ben Hur was really good. This movie totally sucks."

—Mystery Science Theater 3000, episode #820- Space Mutiny

Posts: 32 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted January 31, 2008 08:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Asian sex slaves would be very offended by the comic... but they don't have internet access, so screw'em.

(not literally... you don't want to catch a disease)

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 11:42      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Do you think we crossed the line with our sexy negligée-clad iPhones in an Asian brothel joke?

Nope. As the saying goes "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

There is a hell of a lot of waaaaaaay more offensive stuff on the 'net and out in the real world. I suggest that the complainant funnel their energy toward fighting something more tangible than a fucking cartoon.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 12:10      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy - my bad it seems, I have seen the ad but I didn't know the name of the band - thus I thought it might be a typo or a joke I didn't get (which it was) hence my use of the " [Big Grin] "

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 13:00      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen - Very funny.

pixel_pusher01 - Totally agree.

To everyone else who's calling this out as left-wing PC "let's protect special interests at the expense of freedom" BS, I also thoroughly agree.

Now, I consider myself liberal, just not in the Democratic party sense of the word, but in the real sense - open to new ideas and ways of doing things. It appears to me that this world, and, yes, American society most especially, has become way too over zealous in making sure no one is offended. Screw 'em. Without offense, there would be no discourse, no movement, change, or, *gasp* awareness of real problems. Yes, including the sex slave trade.

Snaggy, keep 'em coming. As pixel_pusher01 wrote, this is your site, say what you want, decide the rules, break 'em occasionally. I like this site for the freedom of thought everyone exhibits, all presented in a mature atmosphere. I'm sure something has offended me along the way. But, *I* was offended, *I* chose to come here, and I choose to keep coming back. Even at the risk of being offended, or even amused (oh, the horror).

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 17:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vic: You mean they should address their attn to 2G1C or things that are Lemony Fresh?

Maybe they should just take a bath or something?

That might just be a bleeting idea, though.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2008 20:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Nope. As the saying goes "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

There is a hell of a lot of waaaaaaay more offensive stuff on the 'net and out in the real world. I suggest that the complainant funnel their energy toward fighting something more tangible than a fucking cartoon.

What Vic Said.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Red Five
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6537

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2008 18:39      Profile for Red Five     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most of the sentiment here. It's your site, it's a free internet. You don't like something here, there are other places to browse. Don't let the firewall hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

I also agree that Western society as a whole has gotten waaaaayyyyyy too sensitive over the smallest of things, and seems to have collectively lost its thick skin. Maybe some kind of genetic mutation has occurred in the last 50 years or so that has made this happen, I don't know. Whatever has caused it, it needs to stop.

Posts: 16 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture