homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » iPhone Wars...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPhone Wars...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 25, 2007 22:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We couldn't resist the opportunity to do yet another Star Wars parody, especially one that features the original movie's poster. Working on this comic brought back a ton of great memories, that sense of excitment and wonder I had as a kid watching the original, and that feeling that wow, maybe a naive farm boy from the middle of nowhere can change the Universe.

I'm probably going to buy an iPhone soon, and being from Canada, where the iPhone still isn't available via Apple's official channels, I've been following the triumphs of the iPhone Rebellion with great interest. I think it would be a real shame if Apple Inc. intentionally squashes the creativity and ingenuity of the iPhone hacking community with its software updates.

If you are a fan of TUAW, you know that Erica Sadun has been doing a fantastic job both with her coverage of the iPhone community and her own hacking. So we thought she would make a perfect Leia in the comic. :-)

By the way, in my research for the comic's JoyPoll, I stumbled upon an interesting fact... did you realize that Wile E. Coyote's middle name is Ethelbert?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maxray
Maximum Newbie
Member # 10741

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2007 13:09      Profile for maxray   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! May the unlock be with you, Snaggy. And with Nitrozac too, of course.
Posts: 12 | From: Saint-Petersburg, Russia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 7 posted October 01, 2007 23:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
...and that feeling that wow, maybe a naive farm boy from the middle of nowhere can change the Universe.

He can. [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2007 14:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
...and that feeling that wow, maybe a naive farm boy from the middle of nowhere can change the Universe.

He can. [Smile]
Hmpff.
Colonial upstart.
This fine Scot built a television two years earlier.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 19, 2007 13:47      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm researching the iPhone by proxy - two peopl that I know have them and I have played with it. I'm waiting to see what their bills will be like.

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ryan
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 14:18      Profile for dj_ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The iPhone bill is pretty steep - you'd be hard pressed to pay less than $90/month. And if you use your iPhone in Canada like me (I live in Seattle, visiting Canada) the data rate is just killer. 56 MB = $800.

My iPhone is now on t-mobile and it can't be happier.

Posts: 10 | From: Seattle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 05:16      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ryan:
The iPhone bill is pretty steep - you'd be hard pressed to pay less than $90/month.

Really? That's interesting because I pay $78/month and that includes the 1500 SMS upgrade.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ryan
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 13:39      Profile for dj_ryan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And my t-mobile plan I pay $51.

So you could go the lowbie voice iPlan, but if you made a reasonable number of calls it didn't seem worth it.

Don't forget your .25 texts to Canada :-(

Posts: 10 | From: Seattle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture