homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Suggestion for the iPhone Hype Poll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestion for the iPhone Hype Poll
webmacster87
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5018

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 22:45      Profile for webmacster87   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poll question for the latest Joy of Tech reads "What are you trying to get away from lately?"

I'm surprised that "My current cell phone contract." wasn't an option!

--------------------
Phew, I finally registered on here.
Webmacster87.info (my blog)

Posts: 42 | From: SF Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 00:44      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the way cell companies cripple almost all the features on their phones. Let's hope the iPhone changes that.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 07:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want away from your current cell contract to get the iPhone's?

the cheap plan for the iPhone is 60 USD per month. Times 24 months and it comes to almost 1500 USD just for the iPhone contract. Add into that 500 more for the phone and you are sitting at 2 grand for a phone.

I wonder what a guy that has beenin a coma for ten years would think if he woke uop today, turned on the news and saw the lines of people waiting to pay 2 grand for a phone.

I personally will wait three or so yeas and then buy an iPhone when they are less expensive with more reasonable contracts.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 07:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: You left out tax and surcharges...that'll easily come out to $70+/month - which is outrageous to me. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a piece of crap. $600, and you get quicker downloads with a length of string and two dixie cups. No doubt there will be loads Mac fans who can't wait to bend over and take it up the wrong'n. *Tsk* Young people. [shake head]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I wonder what a guy that has beenin a coma for ten years would think if he woke uop today, turned on the news and saw the lines of people waiting to pay 2 grand for a phone.

Looking at what was available ten years ago, I think he'd be pretty impressed. Sure, he might be a bit nonplussed by the kinda hostile way in which the US mobile phone market works, but I think he'd be overwhelmed by how far technology has come.

Plus if he'd had the foresight to buy some AAPL before he went into that coma, when Apple was looking its bleakest, he'd easily be able to afford an iPhone and whatever contract he wanted. Then his only problem would be working out how to migrate all that HyperCard data onto his new device. [Wink]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 29, 2007 11:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2k for a mobile phone 10 years ago...
I suppose he won't be surprised, most technology the iPhone has was not on the mainstream then.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotį, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 13:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha you young 'uns... Why, I remember buying a share in a "cutting edge" mobile phone back in the 80s - it cost something like £2000 (yes 2000 ukp) required you to sign up for some disgusting amount of years at a monthly fee of about £50 +calls, was literally the size of a brick, weighed more than my current MacBook and had a battery life of about 8 hours - standby that is: not talk time... And damn that phone was "COOL" it was waaaayyy better than anything the other guys had take it from me (no really I am not joking).

So - if you woke up from long coma and saw the iPhone without knowledge of how such toys have become ubėr cheap and as common as hairs on a hound dog... ??? I think you would consider it a bloody marvel and incredibly cheap.

Not saying it actually is... just saying in tech terms harking backwards is silly - my first Mac (IIcx) cost something like £5k - does that make it better or worse than a top flight Mac Pro now? No, just times are different, costs and expectations are different, I remember when the prospect of a passable low end Mac for £500 was a ludicrous dream - but it is all relative - to some extent kit never gets cheaper, just what you can get for the money improves (nearly exponentially over the last 20 years)

Of course in "real terms" all kit is cheaper because £1000 then is probably £3000 now... but marketeers like "sweet points" £999, £499, etc.

What you get is what you pay for to some extent, and what you consider a reasonable fee is dictated by a combination of factors -need, greed and available finances being only the most obvious.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture