homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Windows Vista Debuts with Strong Global Sales (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Vista Debuts with Strong Global Sales
Jim in the Forest
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5025

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 17:42      Profile for Jim in the Forest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REDMOND, Wash., March 26, 2007 — Initial sales figures from Microsoft show its new operating system Windows Vista made a splash in its debut. In the first month of Windows Vista’s general availability, sales exceeded 20 million licenses, more than doubling the initial pace of sales for its predecessor, Windows XP. These initial figures reflect the broad interest in the security and usability enhancements in Windows Vista.
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 18:18      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:

quote:
By comparison, Windows XP, Vista's predecessor, sold 17 million copies in the two months following its 2001 launch, Microsoft said.

"It's a stronger than expected start," Bill Mannion, a director of product marketing for Windows, said in an interview.

But given that the personal computer market has nearly doubled since XP launched, Vista sales "probably should be more," said Michael Silver, vice president of research at Gartner, a technology research group.

The complete article can be found here.

EDIT:

Oh, and the discount program as reported on ars
Why discount software with such spectacular sales?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 14 posted March 26, 2007 18:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG ..... Sign me up to jump on that band wagon ASAP !!! [Eek!]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 03:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim in the Forest ___________________ How many free copies of Linux have been made in the last year, safe sucure and stable, mmmmnnnn.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 04:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it apparently has difficulties in deleting, copying and moving files.

How MS manage to screw people over so much and *still* be the no. 1 operating system manufacturer is beyond me.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 04:40      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Littlefish wrote:
How MS manage to screw people over so much and *still* be the no. 1 operating system manufacturer is beyond me.

Let's face it, most users don't know thier OS from a hole in the ground.
I know a business owner who has 3 pages of written instructions on how to upload
to ftp for his store website and he consults them every time he has to do it.
OSX or Linux wouldn't make any diference for him.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 05:09      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D*mn! And just when we thought we clearcut that "Forest"...

Anyway, someone (sorry, I forgot who it was!) on IRC pointed out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtp5gNhBZgo

I found it rather amusing. :-)

I'm still a converted Mac user at home. I use Windows only because I am forced to (at work). We're still running Win2K until they come up with a way to safely migrate to Vista (I think there were still some issues and we would need to upgrade our machines.). That kinda says something, doesn't it?

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 07:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JIF Do you have Vista yet? If so what do you like about it, and what if anything do you find disappointing? I'm not being sarcastic, it would be interesting to know the views of a hard core MS fan to this important release, if that is you want a discussion rather than just to provoke.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 09:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there are more stupid people in this world than intelligent people. Coincidence? I don't think so. [Razz]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 10:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and apparently (and unsurprisingly), MS are gaming the numbers.
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 10:16      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are just feeding the troll - he doesn't read and rarely responds.

Just a bot.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 10:56      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
awww! but some of us are having fun! he doesn't seem to bite! It seems to be mostly bark! [Big Grin]
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 12:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he is in the forest, after all, so you would expect a lot of bark.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 12:43      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if he uses Active Directory he can be stuck in the trees [Wink]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 12:48      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm sure MMKK would have a few choice words to say about Active Directories!! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 12:53      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, littlefish, how much stock should we place in an article written and edited by people who seem to be grammar-challenged? [Wink]
quote:

License sales are good public relations fodder, but they're real world merits stop there.

Also, the article seems to be throwing around a lot of "well gosh, it just can't be so!!!!" without any solid facts backing up the assertions. Now I'm not saying Vista is going gangbusters as Microsoft says, nor that it's necessarily a good OS. But that PC Mag piece doesn't convince me that Microsoft is fudging the numbers, either. At least not in the first part before the link to the "full" analysis, which I can't be bothered to follow at the moment.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 13:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a fair point ugh, but hard numbers are easy to come by.

For example, 100% of the respondents in a recent survey think Vista isn't worth the money. (But I just asked the person next to me)

The MS numbers are not false, but they are misrepresented.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 15:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A colleague of mine is running Vista Ultimate on an iMac CD...

He was/is a hardcore MS user - but was so impressed by the iMac the returned his brand new PC and got his money back (it had had at least 2 hardware "glitches" inside the first 6 weeks) and bought an iMac. Sure he promptly BootCamped it to be an XP Box, now Vista, but at least he liked the idea of being able to also have access to the Mac OS if he wanted... He is now using Vista Ultimate as the primary boot and running XP in Parallels from OS X if he requires that...

So far he seems pretty impressed with Vista and has not suffered any problems that he has related to me other than the iSight doesn't currently work under Vista... He is very glad he bought a Mac though becuase now he can do Mac and Vista and XP at will.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 16:36      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

He was/is a hardcore MS user - but was so impressed by the iMac the returned his brand new PC and got his money back (it had had at least 2 hardware "glitches" inside the first 6 weeks) and bought an iMac. Sure he promptly BootCamped it to be an XP Box, now Vista, but at least he liked the idea of being able to also have access to the Mac OS if he wanted... He is now using Vista Ultimate as the primary boot and running XP in Parallels from OS X if he requires that...

So far he seems pretty impressed with Vista and has not suffered any problems that he has related to me other than the iSight doesn't currently work under Vista... He is very glad he bought a Mac though becuase now he can do Mac and Vista and XP at will.

That's actually what I recommend to most PC guys these days - PCs are about freedom, right? So either go 'real' and Build From Scratch, or STFU and buy a nice Mac that you can run everything on.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 04:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ____________________ Maybe we need a Controlled Burn

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 04:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

An article making a very similar point.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 07:42      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 07:59      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have been testing Vista for the last couple of weeks here. It is a decent system. It holds your hand a bit much for my tastes, but I can see where that could be useful for the technically challenged. I help out an elderly lady that just did the upgrade to Vista and she got up to speed on it very quickly. So I have to give kudos for that.

I still prefer my Debian partition over the Win partition, though that is a personal choice.

But MacD, have you worked through the EULA for OSX? It makes Windows seem almost lax by comparison. I know some people say that it is the right of the underdog, but I unfortunately disagree. It would be nice if they would allow the possibility to run OSX under parallels or VM Ware. But as of right now, they are legally bound not to allow it.

So I guess shackled is all a matter of perception.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 29, 2007 08:27      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 million licences is unimpressive if you realise most home/business users get Windows after buying a PC and MS has forced the number by shiping most of brand PCs with Vista.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 08:52      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EULA is pretty simple - OSX is only allowed on Apple branded hardware.

However, Apple *themselves* recommends SheepShaver for running older Apple OSs on Intel...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture