homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Strange Fruit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Fruit
calenril
Maximum Newbie
Member # 695

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 07:03      Profile for calenril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, in my neighborhood shoes hanging from a wire mean "open for business" -- people driving in and out to make deals all night long. When we see the shoes, we call our Neighborhood Stabilization Officer and she gets them taken down. It slows business a bit, and given enough calls the house is declared a nuisance property and pressure is brought on the owner. It works.
Posts: 10 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted February 02, 2007 08:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
weird! I've never heard of that before, is it a common signal do you think?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 08:51      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I gather, that's also what they mean in the greater Detriot area... so yeah, it's apparently quite common.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only wires we have out here are the telegraph lines.

We don't have shoes - only boots.

If you see boots hanging, run - there's been at least one lynching and the vigilantes just might not be done yet.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 10:40      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Strange Fruit the title of a song about racism? Buddy Holly? You should listen to it if you haven't heard it- it's disturbing (I like disturbing songs).

More on topic- are you saying I should turn off my red porch light and throw some shoes over a wire? 'Cuz I've noticed that business is a little slow lately...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 12:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billie Holiday [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
calenril
Maximum Newbie
Member # 695

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 12:35      Profile for calenril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
[QB] Isn't Strange Fruit the title of a song about racism? Buddy Holly? ...

The title was not accidental.

And, yes, a red light might help bring in more business, too, but perhaps of a different kind. ;-)
On the other hand, we have prostitution, too, but they do not use red lights. The clothes are all they need for advertisement.

--------------------
"Come on, it'll be neat!"

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 16:06      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on down to Orange Blossom Trail in Central Orlando. We show you good time. [Eek!]

I didn't know about the shoes thing either. But then in my neighborhood most of the wires are buried. The only thing I have to worry about is the neighbors cutting the cable by accident (which happened to me two weeks ago). [ohwell]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 18:43      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Grummash:
Billie Holiday

Thanks! That would have been really embarrassing if I didn't also do it with contemporary artists.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 18:47      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by calenril:
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
[QB] Isn't Strange Fruit the title of a song about racism? Buddy Holly? ...

The title was not accidental.

And, yes, a red light might help bring in more business, too, but perhaps of a different kind. ;-)
On the other hand, we have prostitution, too, but they do not use red lights. The clothes are all they need for advertisement.

yeah thats right - don't try and steal the red light from Amsterdam !!!! [devil wand] [devil wand]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 05:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone tried to tell me once that those shoes hanging over wires mark the spot homeless people died. Truth or fiction?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 05:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Someone tried to tell me once that those shoes hanging over wires mark the spot homeless people died. Truth or fiction?

off topic,

Did you know the word gullible is not in the dictionary?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 06:02      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boots on wires where I live (home not college), being a military area (and this happens at any military place) means someone got out of the military and doesnt want/need them anymore.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 06:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All________________Since it has become common knowledge that sneakers on wires is a symbol of drug activity don't you think that the Druggies will come up with a new one?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 06:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised that the movie "Wag the Dog" hasn't come up in this topic.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
calenril
Maximum Newbie
Member # 695

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 08:10      Profile for calenril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Hi All________________Since it has become common knowledge that sneakers on wires is a symbol of drug activity don't you think that the Druggies will come up with a new one?

They stick with what works. The worst that happens is an arrest, but seldom jail time, and they soon are back in business.

Their customers come in cars, some from the 'burbs. The driver just has to stop somewhere near and wait. In 5-10 minutes, someone comes out to the passenger or driver side. The window goes down, the seller leans in and they talk. Often the stereo just loud enough to mask conversation. If the seller knows the customer or feels good about this new one, he gets in the car. They sit and talk for a while. If the seller sat in back I could see him reach out and hand something to the front and come back with a wad of cash in hand. They sit or drive off while they do their drugs, sometimes the seller stayed with them. This is when they start making noise, with the talk and stereo disturbing the sleep of children and adults. Sometimes it turns into a party. Sometimes it turns into a street fight.

In daylight, the trades are more subtle, with the handoff being done quickly with a complex handshake (to hide the actual exchange).

Homeowners may be calling 911 to report it, giving the address of the house the seller came from. Enough calls make the house a "nuisance home" and the dealers eventually get kicked out. It is really sad when the dealer is a teenager and his family gets kicked out with him. A neighbor boy asked me once, "How many times have you been in jail?" Usually the house is not family, though, but criminals using an abandoned house. They are what E. E. 'Doc' Smith would call "Zwilniks".

--------------------
"Come on, it'll be neat!"

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 09:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all well and good, but what does a pair of pants on a wire mean?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2007 10:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Pony Express guys it would be, " A whole lotta chafin' goin' on".

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2007 06:18      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly,

This shoes on a wire thing appears to be true. I have heard this for years. A google search seems to confirm either the truth or a powerful urban legend. My impression when I first saw the teaser was that it was regarding drug dealing.

While we're on the subject, the HBO show "The Wire" is an excellent show regarding drug dealing, but interestingly enough there are no shoes in this show hanging from any wires.

What you will see is some great writing and some exceptionally talented young actors.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2007 01:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
weird! I've never heard of that before, is it a common signal do you think?

I've heard the same about here, so I'm suspecting it's either common or a very well travelled urban legend...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2007 13:52      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are shoes hanging on the overhead power lines running on the other side of my street. I was wondering what they meant for while, so I looked it up. What do you know, wiki has some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_flinging

Not entirely helpful, but still somewhat interesting.

Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2007 14:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where I live, if you see a pair of shoes over the telephone wires it just means that someone made sure that the littlest kid on the street doesn't have shoes anymore! [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2007 14:10      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget about the shoe tree either. One of the (only) exciting things to see on Hwy 50 in Nevada.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture