homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Apple&JOT...Corporate culture of Hate and Derision (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Apple&JOT...Corporate culture of Hate and Derision
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 17:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I personally use whatever I need to get the job done, which is why I'm equally incompetent with *nix, Windows, and OSX.

You just took the verbals right out of my orifice. Yay for incompetence! I'm such a geek fraud - I thought *nix was a basketball team. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx________________________You have got to be right why else would this guy call us fanboy when we pointed out that there are many systems. HE HAS GOT TO BE A PAID SHILL.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:04      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FEED THE TROLL TO THE LEMINGS!!!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 18:28      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:

Gawd... Lemmings is such a great Amiga game. You know I heard that much of the world's infrastructure was built by lemmings...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 19:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemmings =)

Lemmings runs on PCs too, of course, but the music on that version is nowhere near as beautiful as it is on the Amiga.

Lemmings for the Amiga had a considerable hold on my soul, the music was just that achingly beautiful, and the game so adorable. This was before I had a computer of my own and Lemmings was one of the programs that drew me in the most.

It would be another three years before I got one that could actually play Lemmings (a PC, not an Amiga) and, hm ... PC sound is a bit crap isn't it? Lower resolution graphics, too ... (No idea what funky resolution Amiga Lemmings runs at, but my 8-bit micro ran many games at a higher resolution than many DOS games...)

I owe the Amiga a lot -- it got me hooked.

IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 22:24      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mv Jim in the Forest /dev/null

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 01:48      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just seen Windoze OSX err... I mean Vista I wonder who copies off who ^^ [Razz]

Waiting for the OSX I can run on a Dell Laptop.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 02:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
He's probably a PR flak for M$.

Unlikely, you generally don't impress your potential audience by insulting them personally as fanboys, and their intelligence with arguments that the facts just do not support. I would love JIF to explain what it is about contextual menus in Windows that is so much better and more useful than the MacOSX implementation rather than a mere question of taste. To be quite honest I only wish there was something in Vista that was genuinely much better than what we have in OSX, as there is nothing like a great rival OS to spur development on. On the other hand the first iterations of OSX (up to 10.2) were fairly useless, so maybe we'll have something good in a year or two.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 05:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why not Prarie dogs?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 06:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:

Why not Prarie dogs?
Because...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 06:19      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:

Why not Prarie dogs?
Because...
Your right, Prarie dogs would probably "puck" him up.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 07:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All__________________________For someone to be calling us all fanboys he must be one for Billy maybe he has something going?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 11:30      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
mv Jim in the Forest /dev/null

mv: cannot stat `Jim': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `in': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `the': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `Forest': No such file or directory

[Razz]

Back to the OP: I question what kind of 'Professional Engineer' he is. I also wonder why he's such a coward (wanted to use a different word, decided not to) as to abandon his threads halfway through. The answer? He's a troll.

I propose that we dispose of such individuals as follows:

code:

DELETE FROM Members
WHERE GroupOpinion = 'troll';

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 13:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little puzzled as to what sort of schema you're proposing where 'GroupOpinion' is a single column of the members table. (I'll let you off on the whole varchar bit by presuming it's an enum. Don't say I never give anyone the benefit of the doubt...) Surely you'd want a separate table for this, with member number and voter member number as the primary key?
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 15:02      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me files a complaint with APEG [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 17:36      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I'm a little puzzled as to what sort of schema you're proposing where 'GroupOpinion' is a single column of the members table. (I'll let you off on the whole varchar bit by presuming it's an enum. Don't say I never give anyone the benefit of the doubt...) Surely you'd want a separate table for this, with member number and voter member number as the primary key?

No.

If I really had to put thought into it, I'd design my database very simply. Since 'GroupOpinion' is relevant only to individual members, I figured it'd make sense to put it in the 'Members' table. I never really thought about recording who voted for what, though that capability IS present in UBB.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 17:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, let's assume you really did mean an enum. And table Members has a column GroupOpinion. Let's say Boo comes along. Person one records 'troll' for her GroupOpinion column. Another person records 'cool' ... Wait, you just overwrote the last value.

A single field per member will only take the last value you wrote to it. Thus, you need to keep track of what all the various opinions have been in order to get a consensus. "GroupOpinion" itself is not a valid concept as you cannot guarantee 100% agreement. "95% troll" for example would work but that's all you can hope for out of this idea.

You could store a single numeric value in a single cell and use weighted moving average to handle series of values. For example, if the field holds -1 (the default), store the new value. Otherwise, a new value would go in as, say, the mean average of 80% of the old value plus 20% of the new value. A horrible hack but it will go in that precious single cell ;-)

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 18:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann:
You could store a single numeric value in a single cell and use weighted moving average to handle series of values. For example, if the field holds -1 (the default), store the new value. Otherwise, a new value would go in as, say, the mean average of 80% of the old value plus 20% of the new value. A horrible hack but it will go in that precious single cell ;-)

Which, incidentally, is how the current RMS value of a continuous waveform is generated in vibration monitoring...
< /tangent >

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 18:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either it's a better approach than I thought, or your system sucks :P

Nah, your advantage I suppose is that you really do care a lot more for the current values with disregard for the past, which is rather different to what is needed for gathering a consensus.

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 20:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Jim's posts, I've had to ask myself, "Whoa, this is what happens when somebody uses the Windows OS?"

I'm sure glad I haven't tried it?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 22:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
"Whoa, this is what happens when somebody uses the Windows OS?"

No, but this is...

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 22:09      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent about 10 years with DOS and Windows before finally making the switch (in 2000) for good. But I have been around Macs longer than that. Probably about as long as with Windows.

quote:
Originally posted by AgingAmigaoid:
[QUOTE]]Besides, you and the Mac fan-boys all know that the Amiga is still superior! [devil wand]

[Applause] Amiga forever! Hurrah!

I first learned to use computers on an Amiga and for several years was the computer I used to do audio/video on (an A2000). And *sniff* I have a fond place in my heart for the Amiga. [Happytears] It was ahead of its time.

Any current Amiga fan will know this..."Boing!"

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 17:47      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:

Vista's new presentation manager is Avalon and what do you think Avalon's first 3D Demo was?

The Amigaoids are all around you! [Cool]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 18:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agingAmigoids++;

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 10:58      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AgingAmigaoid:
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:

Vista's new presentation manager is Avalon and what do you think Avalon's first 3D Demo was?

The Amigaoids are all around you! [Cool]

Seriously? I did something similar using POV-ray in under 10 minutes. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that's a pretty crappy demo.
Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture