homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » DigitalBill has died. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DigitalBill has died.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 04, 2006 23:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been informed of some very shocking and sad news. Our longtime friend, and Forum member Bill Douthett (DigitalBill) has passed away suddenly.

We're in shock right now, DigitalBill was a real friend to us, and we loved him.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 00:00      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is truly sad new, he was too young to die. [weep]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 00:27      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is truly a tragedy. From one macgeek to another, one of the best has fallen. [cry baby]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 00:28      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was such a great guy. I'm going to miss him a lot. I'm feeling pretty sad, horrible, numb and sorrowful. [weep]
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 00:37      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He really was a great guy. I was a subscriber to his podcast. It saddens me to see another young, talented, good guy has passed away. My prayers are with him.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 05:32      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very very sad.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 05:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very sad news. [Frown] He hadn't posted recently, so we didn't know what was going on with him. My heart goes out to his family.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 06:10      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This saddens me deeply. MacWorld and WWDC keynote days in IRC won't be the same. [weep]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 06:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's certainly a shocker. All the best to his family.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 07:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May his soul rest in peace and his family and friends take comfort in that hope. Amen.

gg✞

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 07:25      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really have no words. I'm just shocked. Saddened. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 07:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad news. My heart goes out to his friends and family. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 08:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terribly sad news. My regards to his friends/family. Definitely to early for a great guy like DB.

Kilts at half mast! (On second thought...maybe not!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 08:51      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers and condolences to his family and his loved ones. May he be at peace.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 05, 2006 09:08      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As other's have echoed, I too put my thoughts and condolences out there.

it is always a tragedy when someone so young leaves us... but always remember they leave behind a legacy of good memories, conversations and happenstances.

We'll miss you Bill, but you'll always be in our hearts.

-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 09:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I say that others have not already?

It's always hard to see someone leave us so suddenly and so young. We'll all miss you Bill, in our own unique ways.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 12:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know DigitalBill, but he clearly had the love and respect of many GCers. I do hope that everyone who is grieving now will gain some comfort from their memories. A sad day for his friends and family.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted October 05, 2006 15:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot really say I "knew" Digital Bill - except from his occasional posts here...

But many here either did, or perhaps followed his podcasts etc. and felt they did.

I would like to be so bold as to put forward the idea of an "in memoriam" JoT and the suggestion that we "pass the hat round" for donations that could be forwarded to his family towards the cost of a headstone or whatever they feel appropriate...

I guess to some extent this is a moderately new thing... but as communities like this age into maturity it will be something we will have to learn to deal with more often. But if we are a community in any real sense I think we should show our respects just as we might in any "real life" community (quotes because, to be honest, I already feel closer to this "community" than a lot of people I know "IRL")

I can only add my condolences to the list - may he get to silicon heaven.... ("What, no silicon heaven.... where do all the calculators go?")

A sad day, I hope he can rest in peace.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 16:58      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A novel idea Serenak! I can spare something but not a lot. Count me in.. should this become a reality.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 05, 2006 18:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely contribute for flowers or a memorial fund of some kind. I'm so sorry to hear that he's gone. [Frown]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 05, 2006 21:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard from Julio, a friend of DigitalBill's... here is the letter..

------------------
Hello Everyone,

I don't have much to report, but I would like to provide you with an update nonetheless:

Bill's family has been notified and they are in contact with the local authorities. Family members will be flying in to South Florida within the next few days to handle the necessary arrangements. At this time, we're not certain if funeral services will be held in South Florida or in Pennsylvania where Bill is from and where his family resides.

Memorial services have not been scheduled as of yet, but a small group of friends and family are working together to establish a memorial website which will provide everyone with information about when and where services will be held, where to send flowers, and also with the opportunity to leave condolences, comments, and memories about this wonderful human being. I will provide you with a link as soon as I have it.

There are several websites that have already made mention of Bill's passing:

http://www.macmerc.com/
http://www.macosken.com/
http://www.jaronbrass.com/
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/
http://www.suicidegirls.com/girls/Posh/

Please forward this to all of Bill's friends.

More information should be forthcoming in the next few days. We'll stay in touch.

Julio
---------------

RickMacMerc also passed on Leo Laporte's tribute...
http://leoville.vox.com/library/post/bye-bye-wizard.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 05:27      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in in the shocked and saddened group.
My sympathies go out to his family and friends.
I only know him from the boards and a few podcasts - but I can tell he was the kind of guy I'd like to know better.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Double D
Geek Larva
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 06:36      Profile for Double D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I am Bill's brother David, and on behalf of the family I want to thank all of you for your expressions of sympathy and support. Bill was indeed a great guy, and his death has been a terrible shock to us. I want to thank Snaggy and Nitrozak for the JoT comic today. That's a keeper. My wife and I were imagining a scene with DB doing some tech support by phone or chat, telling the client to do thus and such, and in the last panel seeing God at the other end on His Mac, saying, "Hey! It worked! Thanks, Bill!"

Again, thanks for all your expressions of support, and "stay subscribed!"

PS. Just because the family has now weighed in, please don't let that stop anyone else from posting. It has been very comforting to see what people around the InkerNets have to say about my bro. [Happytears]

--------------------
--D2--

"Love is the nonpossessive delight in the particularities of the other." -- Dr. James E. Loder

Posts: 20 | From: West-By-God-Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Double D
Geek Larva
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 06:54      Profile for Double D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Double D:
I want to thank Snaggy and Nitrozak for the JoT comic today.

Ahem. Of course I mean, "Nitrozac." Sorry.

--------------------
--D2--

"Love is the nonpossessive delight in the particularities of the other." -- Dr. James E. Loder

Posts: 20 | From: West-By-God-Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2006 08:33      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading the comics at Geek Culture since 1999 and reading the forums since they were started. Even when I was just skimming through a thread there were always certain posters who I would slow down and read in full. DigitalBill was one of those posters. I will miss him and my thoughts go out to his family.
Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture