homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » ATLAS Cavern?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ATLAS Cavern?
Prufrock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5618

Icon 6 posted September 15, 2006 01:04      Profile for Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice comic, guys - Jobs works in a slightly modified ATLAS detector cavern? [Smile] (Here's a link to a diagram on the site. I work in the SR1 building shown, sometimes)
Firefly Mechanic
SuperFan!
Member # 5665

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 15, 2006 06:55      Profile for Firefly Mechanic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Jobs? Atlas cavarns? My darlings, it's about the FASHION! Yay for S&N for so cleverly revealing the bottom-line ruling force of American culture... the fashion. All hail S&N... who put the *culture* in Geek Culture.

xoxo

k

but your atlas cavern link is REALLY cool, j edgar. really way!

Posts: 7 | From: New Dork City | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 15, 2006 08:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha nice job Prufrock!

We were wondering how long it would take before somebody dis-CERNed the inspiration for Apple's Secret Secert Lab. [Big Grin]

I hope yours doesn't utilize the Isolation Chamber though. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 09:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple could always buy the NORAD mountain chamber. I read an article recently where it said they were moving out of it, because they didn't think it was necessary anymore.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Prufrock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5618

Icon 12 posted September 15, 2006 23:29      Profile for Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I win a Tick DVD? [Applause] j/k

I was just down there yesterday afternoon, in fact - testing parts of the detector and cabling is something that takes a lot of time and patience.

[boring description of cavern parts]
The elevator ride takes about a minute (it's 30 floors down) and your ears pop. The "meeting room" is the main detector hall, and it's an open cavern the size of a 5-story building (a lot like the nave of Notre Dame Cathedral, for example). There are 2 240-tonne cranes in the cavern itself, as well as two others up above the pit. The shafts leading down are large enough to lower a single-family house without too much trouble.

The cavern itself is almost filled by the detector now... but the precision elements at the center will be tracking near-lightspeed fundamental particles to within microns, looking 40 million times per second.

The "main lab" is called the counting room, where all the data collecton takes place - huge amounts of fast custom electronics and computing and switches. ~300 full-height racks, stuffed with gear.

The "crew quarters" are in the accelerator tunnel (17 mile circle), of which just a bit is shown. The accelerator is a huge ring of supercold superconducting magnets and a few accelerator units. They pump two counterrotating beams of protons to 720 megajoules of energy, going 99.99997% the speed of light. For those to whom it means something, the collision energy is ~14 TeV (for comparison, nuclear fission is ~100 MeV per reaction, and fusion ~1.7 MeV - so 1-10 milllion times less energetic)
[/boring]

The "isolation chamber" is where Leonardo Vetra and his daughter make the antimatter bombs. [Roll Eyes]

[Wink] And the name's Alfred, Kaylee m'dear. J Edgar had his own problems.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 02:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was down in the Atlas cavern on a tour once. There was an old brittish woman on the tour with me. She was not at all impressed with the cavern or the detector, it wasnot colrful enough. She was however impressed with everybodies red hard hats. The ATLAS cavern is amazing though. They told me on the tour that you can fit Notre Dame in the cavern.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 05:06      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a tour of that would be a blast. Are they open to the general public?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 05:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I think a tour of that would be a blast. Are they open to the general public?

Yes, but I was on a nine month waiting list to get in so plan ahead.They have tours in french and english, I don't know how long the wait for a french tour would be. They also have a science museum there that is worth while to see.
CERN Visit.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firefly Mechanic
SuperFan!
Member # 5665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 08:03      Profile for Firefly Mechanic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wull... I thought it wuz about the fashion. good shirt. lots of improvements with the way it handles spotlights. [Roll Eyes]

no? it was about the atlas cavern?

k

Posts: 7 | From: New Dork City | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prufrock
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5618

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 05:50      Profile for Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there are tours... for the next 9 months or so. Once things are running, the tours will be strictly above-ground for the most part. Maybe there will be some during accelerator shutdown, but I would be surprised.

You can't put Notre Dame in, but you could put the main area - the "nave" in there handily.

Oddly enough, you could put a 737 in fairly neatly. They have almost the same dimensions.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 11:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prufrock:
Oddly enough, you could put a 737 in fairly neatly. They have almost the same dimensions.

Ah... but will it fit through the doors?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture