homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » GEEK ! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: GEEK !
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 11:32      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I love engineering.... most of the time, I can pick-up a blueprint and know what's on the go (regarless of the language it's written in) - It's all lines and numbers

Then again, it's also a curse, you have to ensure that anyone can pick-up your plans and build the machine that you've designed.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 13:58      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My work entails writing volumes, in both the sense that I sometimes have enough documentation to fill multiple binders and the sense that the writing is in large quantity.

Istead of maintaining three vocabularies, I find it much easier for me to relax the formality of my work related writing (in turn, making it easier to read) and practice that "business casual" syntax in lesser formal aspects of my life.

Ultimately, the reward is threefold: my overall command of language develops, I don't end up being condescending, and, most importantly, people understand me (most of the time).

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 17:15      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
So it seems that Thorned prefers slang on the 'net. Now, it would be nice to remember that not everyone here has English as first language, and we come from different parts of the world where slang differs, and thus an usual level of language is preferred. Slang might be OK to convey a point across, otherwise, it's better to keep it minimal. I believe this is what Rhon tried to say.

*Again, my French-as-first-language may show. If those are not the correct naming in English, feel free to say so.

English is my second language despite the fact that I was born in an English speaking nation.

I'm sorry for being condescending on this issue but I have been offering free editing services to university students and the poor standard of English is really frightening me. These kids don't know how to write proper English.

Here is a quote from one such piece:

"The organisation of work is a contested issue for a multitude of reasons, such as its impact on organisational culture and structure, the variety of stakeholders involved, and due to the large costs human resources imply on businesses. Organisation has become more complex and its inherent relevance to some business structures is now being questioned. Furthermore the organisation of work impacts on worker productivity, which in turn influences competitive advantage and profit."

This is one of the better pieces I have had to help fix. Note the lack of meaning in this excerpt.

This is a student who was ranked in the state (ie Top 10) in our high school English exams.

George Orwell's famous essay is perhaps not as widely read as it should be.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 18:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
*Again, my French-as-first-language may show. If those are not the correct naming in English, feel free to say so.

quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
English is my second language despite the fact that I was born in an English speaking nation.

Lately, I talk to quite a few people who have English as a second (or third or fourth) language, and almost invariably they have a better vocabulary and understanding of grammar than most native speakers (at least in the U.S.) and almost invariably, they immediately apologize for their English. I generally tell them not to worry since their English is better than that of the average American anyway.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 03:33      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:

D oes everyone on here write school papers using the same sentances that they would in a regular conversation. What about books? No one says, "Then Jane cajolingly glided over to Ean, watching her feet as they scraped across the grassy meadow" ?

That last sentence is (I hope intentionally) hilarious, conjuring up the most bizarre mental image. Good writing that is appropriate in most situations is not over ornate or literary, but should try to express your ideas as clearly, and concisely as possible. This is not easy to do, but your readers will thank you, and more importantly, it also helps clarify your own thinking. On the whole I do not trust any idea I cannot express in simple, everyday, jargon free, language.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 09:46      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:

D oes everyone on here write school papers using the same sentances that they would in a regular conversation. What about books? No one says, "Then Jane cajolingly glided over to Ean, watching her feet as they scraped across the grassy meadow" ?

That last sentence is (I hope intentionally) hilarious, conjuring up the most bizarre mental image. Good writing that is appropriate in most situations is not over ornate or literary, but should try to express your ideas as clearly, and concisely as possible. This is not easy to do, but your readers will thank you, and more importantly, it also helps clarify your own thinking. On the whole I do not trust any idea I cannot express in simple, everyday, jargon free, language.
LOL! (laugh-out-loud for all of the literaries)
Really.... I found it to be quite romantic.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 14:45      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really frightens me is that although I sometimes allow myself to drift into a more relaxed "colloquial" form of writing (especially on forums such as this one) I find that posters such as Tom Geek who are known to have English as their second language can make more coherent posts than a lot of the proclaimed ""native speakers"...

Regulars of this forum will know the sort of "rubbish English" posters that I am referring to...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 14:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The posters to whom I imagine you refer, Serenak, write excellent English. It's just their content that's suspect! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 17:36      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
The posters to whom I imagine you refer, Serenak, write excellent English. It's just their content that's suspect! [Razz]

And all suspects are considered guilty period! Otherwise, they wouldn't be suspect would they? (Troops)

Topic: It is important to be able to express oneself in a way which others can understand while taking part in a dialog. This being said, I thought the first post appeared to be celebratory/fun in nature... is that such a bad thing? Do we really need to wear this much asbestos clothing around here? [shake head]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 20:49      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow:
This being said, I thought the first post appeared to be celebratory/fun in nature... is that such a bad thing? Do we really need to wear this much asbestos clothing around here? [shake head]

Nah, bitching about grammar and spelling is cyclic here. Like PMS. [Wink]

--------------------

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 22:02      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

Point taken FireSnake, I just want the new GCers to feel welcome. [Big Grin]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 21:43      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

Point taken FireSnake, I just want the new GCers to feel welcome. [Big Grin]
Yes, I know. I was just being particularly cheeky and suffering from poor impulse control when I posted that.

--------------------

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 23:27      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all good FireSnake, I'm glad this didn't turn into a very cheeky conversation.

(I wonder how long it will take to see some puns in this thread... [Big Grin] )

--------------------

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 17:28      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(I wonder how long it will take to see some puns in this thread... [Big Grin] )

Ill ask my brother for some if you want

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 19:15      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good The real Stealth. While you're at it, can you see if he has any hot apple pies he could spare? [crazy]

--------------------

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 03:11      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn why do you even bother to pick up on Fortresses poor grammer anyway?

I mean we can all understand what she was saying... I personally dont like to read large bulks of text with poor punctuation or poor grammer for that matter, but she was just making a small post that everyone could understand.

Now if you like to pick up on poor grammer i would suggest you become an English Language teacher, but personally i feel it pointless doing it on here, as it will only cause an argument.

Yes it is rich coming from me as i did the same thing, probally more offensivly to Steen, in the maths section, but that could also be a ground of experiance and understandng that it is not worth it...

I am not trying to pick a fight when i critise your methods Rhonwyyn, only to air my view on the matter.

>Rant over<

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture