homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » JoT cartoon published in Swiss newspaper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JoT cartoon published in Swiss newspaper
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2006 00:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The good news:

While reading the paper on the way to work this morning I was very surprised to see a JoT cartoon published in my german language newspaper. This newspaper has over 1 million daily readers.

The bad news:

Nitrozac and Snaggy are not credited.

Here is the link to the online version of the newspaper. ( Note: If you look very closely here you can see JoT URL. However in the print version the bottom and side of the cartoon is cut off.)

http://www.20min.ch/tools/suchen/story/11817821

This really doesn't surprise me. This newspaper is know for doing much worse things such as fabrication and believing total BS people tell them. The story is about the star wars kid getting 35 000. I'm geussing they just googled "star wars kid" looking for some pics to put in thier paper. It wouldn't be the first time they did something like this.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2006 07:23      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calling Legal Geniuses ! [devil wand]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2006 19:45      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, first lesson of Journalism 101, give credit or you're going to get sued for copyright infringment.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 11, 2006 22:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad]

sheesh

hey Ashitaka, if you still have that paper, or the page where it was printed, maybe you could mail it to us?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2006 03:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Vader-voice>
I find your lack of payment disturbing.
</Vader-voice>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2006 14:25      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say you should take some royalties from them. Find out how much a newspaper pays a cartoonist, and triple it, and send them the bill.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 06:57      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should use some part of their newspaper on JoT and see what happens [Smile]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2006 09:29      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just happen to see this link on DIGG this morning. It seems like a pretty good article on what to do if someone steals your content.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 25, 2006 09:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ashitaka, we received the newspaper clipping and the contact info for the paper.

(nice shot of Paris Hilton on the reverse side) [Big Grin]

I've tried contacting the publishers but they aren't replying... I'll try with a letter and see what happens.

[ohwell]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 11:25      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: Write a JoT about it! That should get thier attention, and hopefully some bad publicity on thier part.
Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 11:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

The only good 'shot' of Paris Hilton that could possibly exist involves Dick Cheney and Texas.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 13:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

The only good 'shot' of Paris Hilton that could possibly exist involves Dick Cheney and Texas.
Or this:
http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060414

[Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 13:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that comic religiously and still somehow missed that one. How'd I manage?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2006 03:48      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Snaggy: Write a JoT about it! That should get thier attention, and hopefully some bad publicity on thier part.

Snaggy, I agree with MacManKrisK.

It shouldn't be hard to find source images of people connected with the newspaper in question (such as the publisher or the managing editor). Make the comic a searing statement about the unscrupulous tactics of people who mine digital content for their own profit, without regard to the rights of the content creator. Then publish it as a JoT and be sure to post Swiss, German, and French versions to facilitate its publication by competitors of the villainainous rag!

I don't think your loyal fans will be upset if you get a bit political on this one! [Big Grin]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2006 03:32      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree... They should have known better

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture